PDA

View Full Version : FAL Help!

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 4:49 PM
I'm looking for a FAL locking shoulder in .253. Gunthings and Gunpartsguy are both out of them, and Gunthings doesn't expect any for 3 weeks. Does anyone have one or know where I could find one?

I carefully worked the surface of the .257 that came with my kit with a sharp file and emory cloth and constantly checked the uniformity with a Starrett micrometer. The result was near perfect (only about a .0005 variation throughout, compared to .001 for the original surface), but I ran in to some problems. I attempted to sandblast and Parkerize it so that I could make sure that it was wearing evenly when installed, but the damn solution seems to have sat too long in my garage. Long story short, it etched about three thousandths off the locking shoulder AND the finish didn't stick. :mad:

So now I need to find one in this evil size (.252 is OK as well.)

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 5:22 PM
DSA only has .256-.267 and charges $50 for for anything outside that range. I'm also in sort of a hurry, so I'm hoping that a member here has one. If not, I'll contact Vanden Berg Custom or another smith.

bwiese
03-18-2007, 5:31 PM
I congratulate you on going where lions fear to tread. Glad you're being cautious though.

Perhaps speak to Rich Saunders of Century Gun Works in Gardnerville, NV.
He may have, or can fabricate, something.

Tell him you're a starving student, too. It might just be easier/cheaper to send in your receiver/bbl to him, though.

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 5:38 PM
I actually went with the correct tools on this (no homemade stuff) and I'm confident that everything is good. The only remaining step is to install a properly sized locking shoulder. All would have been well had I not attempted to refinish the one that I modified. I have good headspace and pin gauges that tell me that I need the smallest locking shoulder commonly made for the FAL. I hope to have this finished by the 23rd (for the Shoot-N-Q), so if nobody here has one I will probably have to resort to having one made.

thedrickel
03-18-2007, 5:42 PM
I've got a .251 :( Close but no cigar eh! Also have a .262 if you want to file it down. I'm on the peninsula btw. If you want to bring it by maybe we can try different bolt/carrier combos until we find one that fits a LS we have? I have 3 or 4 imbel matching bolt/carrier sets.

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 7:26 PM
Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way.

With a Forster GO gauge (1.630) and a .253 pin, it takes very little force to close the bolt carrier (the weight of the carrier when held at a 45 degree angle is almost enough). It will not close on a NO GO (1.634).

With a 7.62 NATO round (not .308 in the chamber), it takes a moderate amount of force to close on the same .253 pin. This feels just right.

With the GO gauge and a .256 pin, it will not close.

The extractor and firing pin have been removed.

Was I correct in deciding on a .252 or .253 locking shoulder? I think so.

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 7:43 PM
That's what I said if you read above.

GO and NO GO gauges AND pin gauges from .253 to .273 (.253, .256, .258, .260, .262, .264, .266, .268, .270, and .273).

All I need is the proper size locking shoulder. I do not need a gunsmith to do anything.

Also, even hardened steel can be filed if you are patient/crazy enough. As I already said, I managed to bring a .257 shoulder down to .253 (actually closer to .2525). I wouldn't be having this problem if the Parkerizing solution didn't take .003 off the damn thing.

When you said You got their correct tools I assumed you meant the headspace gauge tools not the Go and no go gauges.

Mark in Pasadena has a FAL smith you could send it to to get it headspaced correctly and or there is John that was SJGE's gunsmith if you want Ill PM you his phone #.

BTW did you look here for your locking shoulder ?
http://www.armscorpusa.com/Products/fal_parts_list.html

PS the locking shoulder is a hardened steel its not something you file down.
thought you might want to know.

goose
03-18-2007, 7:56 PM
I would try Ed Vandenberg at

Vandenberg Customs
12430 Highway 3 Ste B18
Webster, TX 77598View Map

I haven't seen his name come up on the FALFiles for some time, but I bought an odd sized LS from him a few years ago.

thedrickel
03-18-2007, 8:23 PM
Try a quarter inch drill bit (mic it to see if it's really .250), try it with the nogo gauge and then you'll know if my .251 will work.

Sam locking shoulders are hardened all the way thru so you don't have to worry about filing off the hardened exterior.

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 8:33 PM
Try a quarter inch drill bit (mic it to see if it's really .250), try it with the nogo gauge and then you'll know if my .251 will work.

Way ahead of you ;)

All my 1/4" drill bits were .249ish, but I found that rod for my chamber brush is .250. It will close with a LOT of force on a NO GO. I remeasured my FUBAR locking shoulder and determined that it is between .250 and .251. Unfortunately, it will close on the NO GO with that as well (but it requires even more force). :mad:

So frustrating.

C.G.
03-18-2007, 8:34 PM
This may be too obvious, but have you considered Classifieds in FalFiles. Somebody there should have one.

blacklisted
03-18-2007, 8:35 PM
This may be too obvious, but have you considered Classifieds in FalFiles. Somebody there should have one.

Yeah, but I was wanted to try here first. I'll probably post in the FALfiles marketplace tomorrow.

blacklisted
03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
^^^^

-hanko
03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
^^^^
0.252 or 0.253 should work fine based on your measurements. Recent dsa receivers tend to need a locking shoulder toward the small size. I'd tryt gunparts guy or a general 'wtb' ad on the fal files.

-hanko

blacklisted
03-19-2007, 1:07 PM
0.252 or 0.253 should work fine based on your measurements. Recent dsa receivers tend to need a locking shoulder toward the small size. I'd tryt gunparts guy or a general 'wtb' ad on the fal files.

-hanko

Thanks for the confirmation.

Gunpartsguy is out, but I posted a want ad on the FALfiles.

goose
03-19-2007, 1:17 PM
blacklisted, Give Ed a try. He makes/made them for a lot of the vendors.

blacklisted
03-20-2007, 1:05 PM
I found one! It probably wont be here until Saturday, but at least I can stop worrying for a while.