PDA

View Full Version : place to test fire 9mm AR-15 in SF eastbay

jerryb78
03-18-2007, 2:04 PM
got technical question.

i just completed my first AR-15 in 9mm and i want to go test fire it. it has a old kit that take sten mag and the magazine release is behine the mag. (i got about 7-8 of these original unconverted Sten Mag before the ban)

i will remove the pistol grip and/or install monster man grip or U-15 stock and take it to the range. (16in barrel - over all length 30 in)

with this configeration. will i be comply with the law? also,do you think i will be allow to test fire this weapon in this configuration (sten mag is hi-cap). i just have to ask as range master or shooting range staff may not allow me to use this weapon on their shooting range. mainly because the 32 round sten mag. i don't think they don't want to promote high cap. mag or get in trouble with the law. and i sure don't want to get my self in throuble or be bann from the range.

but i think i'm in ok with the law, but need verification from senior or experiance member of calgun to give advice. am i in compliance with the law?

(i'm in east bay and there are several range i can go to. i have no problem going on reguler weekday where there little people there. but i perfer the great outdoor for my testing, anybody know a good location?)

hoffmang
03-18-2007, 3:02 PM
As long as the rifle is otherwise evil featureless you are legal. I know of no ranges that care whether you have large-capacity magazines (or as I think of it I know of one or two, but they are the exception - not the rule and its more about them wanting to limit rounds in the mag to 5 for safety.)

Just make sure there is a fixed stock if Monsterman and no flashhider on either the Monsterman or U-15 build.

-Gene

M. Sage
03-18-2007, 3:22 PM
+1 to what Hoffmang said. I can tell you for a fact that Chabot for one doesn't care what mags you decide to use. I'm pretty sure Richmond doesn't care either.

Just make sure it's fixed-stock, no forward vertical or pistol grips, no FH (don't think the 9mm ones have that anyway), and you're legal.

pidooma
03-18-2007, 6:04 PM
no FH (don't think the 9mm ones have that anyway), and you're legal.

9mm uppers can certainly have flash hiders. I know RRA sells 9mm uppers with flash hiders as a default option.

Matt C
03-18-2007, 6:34 PM
9mm uppers can certainly have flash hiders. I know RRA sells 9mm uppers with flash hiders as a default option.

Not with a detacheable mag he cannot...:rolleyes:

Technical Ted
03-18-2007, 6:36 PM
Not with a detacheable mag he cannot...:rolleyes:
Pidooma was replying to M. Sage's assumption that 9mm uppers do not come with flash suppressors.

Matt C
03-18-2007, 6:46 PM
Pidooma was replying to M. Sage's assumption that 9mm uppers do not come with flash suppressors.

Ah, well just to be clear then.

etruscan
03-18-2007, 7:37 PM
ive been shooting my 9mm AR at Chabot since december. no issues there. even with a fake can on the end, no one seems to (openly) care.

sjpd
03-18-2007, 8:47 PM
If you want to shoot indoor, Targetmasters is ok with it...I shoot mine there often and I use 32rnd sten mags.

pidooma
03-18-2007, 9:08 PM

Ah, well just to be clear then.

As Ted states I was replying to the assumption that 9mm uppers do not come with flash suppressors.

A little clarification is always a good thing. :)

jerryb78
03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
thanks guy, make me feel a whole lot better. i don't have to worry to much now.

the upper i bought i think come with a flash hidder. pretty positive about this. it can be easily remove ofcourse. the muzzle break for AR will not fit this barrel ( because it a 9mm) different thread size. can you tell me where i can find muzzle break for my 9mm AR? 9mm AR stuff can be difficult to find sometime. want a good looking one that work. if not, how about a fake can supressor can? i want one that look intermidating/ wicket.

also, i have a fellow calgun member PM me about my build requesting my source for 10 round mag.. i still have not located any good source for a 10 round magazine for 9mm AR. anybody know where it can be located? (i know it hard to find and sell out quick)

as for alternative, can anybody recommend a hand gun magazine that can be converted to work on 9mm AR. what would be the best choice and/or most likely to work? i heard Glock and SIG mag. but more leaning toward Sig mag.

kilword
03-19-2007, 2:06 AM
your in the east bay just goto USI in concord.

etruscan
03-19-2007, 8:07 AM
re. a ten round mag...dont bother ordering one from RRA. ive been waiting for more than 6 months. use the search function. there was an old thread which talked about using modified sig mags.

luvtolean
03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
also, i have a fellow calgun member PM me about my build requesting my source for 10 round mag.. i still have not located any good source for a 10 round magazine for 9mm AR. anybody know where it can be located? (i know it hard to find and sell out quick)

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=183

I just shot mine for the first time with one yesterday actually.

as for alternative, can anybody recommend a hand gun magazine that can be converted to work on 9mm AR. what would be the best choice and/or most likely to work? i heard Glock and SIG mag. but more leaning toward Sig mag.

Sigs will work if you cut a slot in them for the mag catch.

We've discussed this before, use the search.

6172crew
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
No pics? :)

Im looking to get a 9mm setup, which upper did you buy?

luvtolean
03-19-2007, 1:19 PM
No pics? :)

Im looking to get a 9mm setup, which upper did you buy?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42607&page=2&highlight=9mm

I have an RRA I bought complete, but recently converted to SB-23 featureless.

I put a Sig mag in mine to try it, and it did strip a round, but I haven't bothered modifying any.

jerryb78
03-19-2007, 2:22 PM
i did look up the old thread as suggested by other member. it was suggested that i use modified Sig 226 mag for this set up. (for 10 round mag) i have never tried posting pic on here. will try it later when i get pic taken. got to show of my collection sometime.

6172crew
03-19-2007, 2:33 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42607&page=2&highlight=9mm

I have an RRA I bought complete, but recently converted to SB-23 featureless.

I put a Sig mag in mine to try it, and it did strip a round, but I haven't bothered modifying any.

Like Jerry I have a crap load of sten mags and a mag block for the oly style setup. I guess I could ditch the the setup I have and take teh $$ and put it toward a CWS rifle, are the Colts 9mm listed?:confused: