PDA

View Full Version : Costco Winchester Safe

peetul83
01-15-2012, 9:06 PM
I was doing some shopping at Costco today when I came across this safe. I am actually in the market for a budget oriented safe (RSC) (max $600~$700) to place in my bedroom closet. I did not see this on their website. Anybody own of these?

If so, how is the electronic safe? How many scoped rifles can you keep on one side? I would like to designate one half to handguns and ammo; top for important documents and other miscellaneous stuff. Overall, how would you rate of these safes?

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/peetul83/overall.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/peetul83/inside.jpg
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x328/peetul83/specifications.jpg

Sub95
01-15-2012, 9:14 PM
have one. it will fit scoped rifles no problem. its the shot gun that sit funny in it. key pad has worked just fine for me with no battery change in two years and i get in and out of it alot. it might weigh 450-500lbs but once you add alot of ammo it wont go anywhere.

frankh7
01-16-2012, 6:13 PM
Got one and wish I would have bought bigger safe. I got an AR, 3 lever action rifles on the right and three shot guns a pellet gun and a sword on the left and it's tight. No scopes, that would cut down on the number of long guns it would hold. Threes pistols, ammo, paperwork on shelve.

No problem with electronic combo slot easier than manaul. Read all the pros n cons failing eyes trump cons. Don't underestimate the weight of the safe. It took all three men and a furniture dolly could give it to get it upstairs. Good luck. I plan on buying a larger safe and use this one for ammo and mags.

maidendeth13
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you're in the same market I am looking for a safe (RSC).

I found this at my local costco when I went in to check out the Bighorn 19ECB that's on Sale for $569...

Anyone know how this compares? Searched a bit but couldn't find anything specifically comparing those two models.

StratORcaster
01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I have this one too. I got it about 18 mo ago for the same price. I'm happy with mine and actually need another! I may go snap one up! :D Thanks.

Super Spy
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I have the Winchester Safe from Costco, and I'm fairly happy with it. Mine is securely bolted down, the right half is full of ammo and the left has 9 long guns and is about full. I don't think mine is going anywhere without a lot of effort. I do wish it was bigger, I got my eye on a Sturdysafe next. I will go 6' tall and >40 guns on the next one. I don't want to keep buying safes...

FullAuto
01-18-2012, 5:28 AM
Thats a good deal IMO, I've seen that bighorn on sale on their website, but I dont know if this matters to you or not but the Bighorn is made in China. There is a video on youtube, ill have to find it when i have time that compares safes made in china vs the U.S.

ap1040
01-18-2012, 8:02 PM
Thats a good deal IMO, I've seen that bighorn on sale on their website, but I dont know if this matters to you or not but the Bighorn is made in China. There is a video on youtube, ill have to find it when i have time that compares safes made in china vs the U.S.

Most budget safes are made in China regardless of the name on it. I do not know for certain where the Winchester is made but given the price it was not made in the US.

G-forceJunkie
01-18-2012, 8:59 PM
I have a similar one (Silverado: 1.5 hr fire rating and 2" wider) so the inside is probably the same as mine. Bolt guns with 26" barrels will have to stick up through a slot that is in the top shelf. A Garand barely fits under the shelf. It says 24 rifle capacity...maybe if they were all ironsited .22's! I have about 15 rifles stuffed in there using both sides and its too much. Scopes, bolt handles, stock packs, etc take up alot of room. Overall, I've been very happy with mine.

Carsgunsandchics
01-18-2012, 9:00 PM
I've had mine for 3years now. It hold very tightly 25+ rifles with a half dozen pistols. No ammo in there but a few loaded mags. The shelves like most start to sag a little with allot of weight, but that can be cured.

llamatrnr
01-18-2012, 9:10 PM
Very happy with the Costco Bighorn, even happier with the free delivery!

Qckrun
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Where is this located. That looks like a decent safe and is a bit cheaper than the Bighorn.

sunwelding
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Have you guys ever heard of Sun Welding Safes? Were having a Gun Show Sale going on right now, $100 to $200 off retail prices. The safe we have thats comparable to the safe shown above would be our Renegade safes. They come in 2 sizes RS30-60h"x30w"x20d" cubic feet 21 & RS36-60h"x36w"x28d" cubic feet 35. They have a 3/16" solid steel door and 12 gauge body, your choice of a dial or digital lock, with upgrades available. You can see these safes & our full product line at www.sunweldingsafes.com or call direct at 805-584-6678.

Not to mention our safes are made 100% in America by in our shop in Southern California & have been for the past 32 years. The safes pictured above are imported from China already assembled. The only thing done here in america is the painting and assembly of the locks which is why there able to keep the price down.

s4alex
01-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Why do I never see these safes at my local Costco's? Bay Area, anyone know of a Costco with any safes?

Sleighter
01-31-2012, 11:47 PM
I have been in the market for a safe also and have been eyeing the Winchester. I would prefer to buy American, but Sun welding hasnt mentioned their prices. Can you tell us how you compare and your cost? Your website also is missing pricing.

Have you guys ever heard of Sun Welding Safes? Were having a Gun Show Sale going on right now, $100 to $200 off retail prices. The safe we have thats comparable to the safe shown above would be our Renegade safes. They come in 2 sizes RS30-60h"x30w"x20d" cubic feet 21 & RS36-60h"x36w"x28d" cubic feet 35. They have a 3/16" solid steel door and 12 gauge body, your choice of a dial or digital lock, with upgrades available. You can see these safes & our full product line at www.sunweldingsafes.com or call direct at 805-584-6678.

Not to mention our safes are made 100% in America by in our shop in Southern California & have been for the past 32 years. The safes pictured above are imported from China already assembled. The only thing done here in america is the painting and assembly of the locks which is why there able to keep the price down.

chad68
02-01-2012, 1:04 AM
Liberty safes are made in the USA. A few of their teeny tiny sizes are made overseas but if they are made over seas, they tell you which ones are.

I have the smallest Liberty Centurion they make, not even in their catalog it's so small. I like it for what it is but I'm planning on buying the biggest Centurion model they have.

I'm tired of having 10 grand of stuff cramed into a $500 safe, plus there is more stuff I need to get into it.

bsg
02-01-2012, 3:14 AM
I have the smallest Liberty Centurion they make, not even in their catalog it's so small. I like it for what it is but I'm planning on buying the biggest Centurion model they have.

I'm tired of having 10 grand of stuff cramed into a $500 safe, plus there is more stuff I need to get into it.

^^^ this here is wisdom worth paying attention to; buy a safe you will grow into, rather than one you will soon grow out of.

chad68
02-01-2012, 6:29 AM
^^^ this here is wisdom worth paying attention to; buy a safe you will grow into, rather than one you will soon grow out of.

Only problem is with a bigger safe, I then feel compelled to buy more guns.

It's a vicious cycle:mad: LOL

bsg
02-01-2012, 9:05 AM
Only problem is with a bigger safe, I then feel compelled to buy more guns.

It's a vicious cycle:mad: LOL

indeed it is.

Sleighter
02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Update: Sun Welding sent me a pm with their sale pricing info. So if you would like additional info don't hesitate to contact them. They were good with communication.

I have been in the market for a safe also and have been eyeing the Winchester. I would prefer to buy American, but Sun welding hasnt mentioned their prices. Can you tell us how you compare and your cost? Your website also is missing pricing.

REDPATCHUSMC
02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Update: Sun Welding sent me a pm with their sale pricing info. So if you would like additional info don't hesitate to contact them. They were good with communication.

Without specifics - Are the prices comparable to above or Costco in general? Or more along the lines with Liberty?

Thanks!

RookieShooter
02-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Why do they have to be so secrecy about the price?

X231
02-01-2012, 1:20 PM
Why do they have to be so secrecy about the price?

I know nothing about these guys, but past experiences tell me that if I have to ask I don't really want to know.

RookieShooter
02-01-2012, 1:26 PM
I know nothing about these guys, but past experiences tell me that if I have to ask I don't really want to know.

Exactly!!
The first impression that can drive potential customers away is hidden price.

sunwelding
02-01-2012, 1:40 PM
We don't pubish our pricing due to the weekly change in our materials cost. Plus we are also having a sale, the prices go down $100-$200 so its just easier to speak with costumers directly and give them pricing.
The 2 safes mentioned above RS30-60h"x30w"x20d" cubic feet 21 & RS36-60h"x36w"x28d" cubic feet 35 are the most comparable to Costco's safes. During our Gun Show Sale which is happening right now (until Friday 2/3/12) an RS30 is $699 and an RS36 is $849. We will be more than happy to quote on any model, send me a message with the model or size you are interested in and I will get right back to you!

roushstage2
02-01-2012, 9:14 PM
We don't pubish our pricing due to the weekly change in our materials cost. Plus we are also having a sale, the prices go down $100-$200 so its just easier to speak with costumers directly and give them pricing.
The 2 safes mentioned above RS30-60h"x30w"x20d" cubic feet 21 & RS36-60h"x36w"x28d" cubic feet 35 are the most comparable to Costco's safes. During our Gun Show Sale which is happening right now (until Friday 2/3/12) an RS30 is $699 and an RS36 is $849. We will be more than happy to quote on any model, send me a message with the model or size you are interested in and I will get right back to you!
They are comparable to the Costco safe in cubic feet, but not long gun storage, as you have to upgrade both of those to get more storage. IIRC, the RS30 (the one that is comparable in price) has to be upgraded to hold almost 18 long guns. I don't know how much said upgrade is, but then add shipping on top of that and you've got to be in the $800 range, if not the low $900. Again, depending on the cost of the storage upgrade. That information is based off of an inquiry with a sales/customer service rep. You are looking at $300-$400 more for less "rated" long gun storage.

I've got nothing against the Sun Welding safes, but to say they are comparable isn't a fair comparison, IMO. They are on the less expensive side for a solid made in USA safe! :)

sunwelding
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Anyone that would like a quote on shipping can send me there zip code and I can tell you what it would cost to ship a safe to you.

Zip Code:
Residential: Yes or No

n6vmo
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I have had mine for about a year now with no regrets except for it is packed full.

The garage had an empty corner. So I bolted it down there and incorporated it into some shelving.
The shelving is anchored to the block wall too.

http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Safe/DSC_0098.jpg

http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Safe/DSC_0102.jpg

sd_shooter
02-07-2012, 1:34 PM
Anyone that would like a quote on shipping can send me there zip code and I can tell you what it would cost to ship a safe to you.

Zip Code:
Residential: Yes or No

:offtopic: Perhaps you should open your own thread in the commercial sections of the forum.

I'm still interested in hearing reviews and opinions of the Winchester Safe from Costco...

Don the savage
02-07-2012, 6:51 PM
I just picked up the $499 Winchester the other day. It weighs 485. And is made in china. Most of the so cal costcos are carrying it as normal item according to the manager at the Montclair store. I like the lock. the storage for long guns is not the 24 listed unless you have 24 marlin 60's but I have 2 mosins 2 garands a scoped AR a M1917 a m1903 and an 870 in mine with room for probably 4-5 more milsurps or ARs. I have pistol hangers on the top shelf and took out the shelves on one of the sides because I wanted the space for long guns. No door organizer included so I am working on getting one of those.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/f7fcfd92.jpg
The Costco in rancho cucamonga had another model that is bigger by a half for 799 that holds 36 guns supposedly but probably holds closer to 20-24 full size battle rifles. It comes with a door organizer.

Jeff Taylor
02-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Trust me....its not big enough :)

stalker
02-08-2012, 3:04 PM
I pick up a Amsec from a local vendor here in OC. He had the best prices and had a great selection in stock. The most important thing was he had the door organizer. My door organizer can hold approx 6 pistols tons of mags and two shotguns. It is an awesome set up and keep the pistols and mags form cluttering up the shelves and easy access when needed. Go bigger then what you need

Buy once... cry once

http://www.maximumsecurity.com/safes/pc/Gun-Safe-AMSEC-BF6636-7p168.htm

MrNiceGuy
02-08-2012, 3:14 PM
Anyone know if the "doors" can be taken off of the safe?
400 to 600 pounds is pretty heavy to carry upstairs.
Wonder if there's a way to take the doors off to reduce some weight during moving of the safe.

roushstage2
02-08-2012, 5:31 PM
I've seen threads where they said it was stated in the manual not to remove the door, but that some had done it and all was well.
For some reason, I'm thinking if people are looking at an inexpensive $500 safe, a $3,300 safe isn't going to be affordable.

chad68
02-08-2012, 8:44 PM
I just picked up the $499 Winchester the other day. It weighs 485. And is made in china. Most of the so cal costcos are carrying it as normal item according to the manager at the Montclair store. I like the lock. the storage for long guns is not the 24 listed unless you have 24 marlin 60's but I have 2 mosins 2 garands a scoped AR a M1917 a m1903 and an 870 in mine with room for probably 4-5 more milsurps or ARs. I have pistol hangers on the top shelf and took out the shelves on one of the sides because I wanted the space for long guns. No door organizer included so I am working on getting one of those.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/dcayer190/f7fcfd92.jpg
The Costco in rancho cucamonga had another model that is bigger by a half for 799 that holds 36 guns supposedly but probably holds closer to 20-24 full size battle rifles. It comes with a door organizer.

A good rule of thumb is whatever number of long guns they say the safe will hold, at the very least, cut that number in half.

In reality you will end up cutting that number in half as well, so figure 36 divided by 4.

jigenax
02-09-2012, 9:31 AM
I bought my Sun Welding safe in 1988 and it has served me well. Not one problem except that I need another one.

JoeinLA
02-10-2012, 8:09 AM
Seems like Costco has the best deal on safes, primarily because of the free shipping...?

I'm looking for a gun safe. Only have handguns a Ruger 10/22 right now, but am planning on adding a shotgun and an AR sometime this year...

sd_shooter
02-12-2012, 8:24 PM
Price today at my local costco was bumped up to $549. Still a decent deal, but not as stellar as before.

MaHoTex
02-12-2012, 8:33 PM
Anyone know if the "doors" can be taken off of the safe?
400 to 600 pounds is pretty heavy to carry upstairs.
Wonder if there's a way to take the doors off to reduce some weight during moving of the safe.

Yes. I took my door off when I moved it in... By myself...

joe84780
02-12-2012, 8:37 PM
This safe appears to be a slightly less optioned version of Winchester's R19. Less fire protection and a few other things. Overall a decent cheap safe. I have the R19 and like it except for one thing. It only has 2 bolt down holes in the bottom of the safe instead of 4. That's something I really hate about this safe.

Don the savage
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
This safe has 4 bolt holes in the bottom, one at each corner

rogers017
02-13-2012, 2:47 PM
Why do I never see these safes at my local Costco's? Bay Area, anyone know of a Costco with any safes?

I bought mine at the Livermore one. You can call them and see if they have any, they get them in every once in a while.

Sunday
02-13-2012, 6:19 PM
Any safe is better than no safe but for a bit more you can get a much nicer made in USA safe. I still love my safe I bought years ago. Buy a decent quality safe once and you will be happy for a long, long time. Last month I bought another safe,,,Made in USA.

Nirrad
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
...but for a bit more you can get a much nicer made in USA safe.

How much is a "bit" more?

And who makes the one you just bought?

I looked for this particular safe and can only find the small one in stores.

sunwelding
02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello, What size safe are you looking for? Sun Welding Safe makes all of our product in CA.
www.sunweldingsafes.com

Nirrad
03-01-2012, 7:17 PM
So I can't find this Winchester, but I received the new coupon book and the Cannon widebody is on sale. And there's a new, smaller Bighorn on their site.

edrex
03-01-2012, 7:58 PM
I just ordered the Bighorn 19ECB from Costco yesterday. My local Costco stopped carrying full size firearm safes, but they did have a short version of the Winchester when I was there the other day. No way a rifle would fit though.

Mana4real
03-01-2012, 7:58 PM
I bought mine at the Livermore one. You can call them and see if they have any, they get them in every once in a while.

I'll have to take a ride over there then. I haven't seen them at the Danville one. But, I haven't really looked either. I'm at the point where I can really use a safe now. The wife would also like to see us get one. Not just for the guns.

sd_shooter
03-02-2012, 4:46 AM
I'll have to take a ride over there then. I haven't seen them at the Danville one. But, I haven't really looked either. I'm at the point where I can really use a safe now. The wife would also like to see us get one. Not just for the guns.

Count yourself lucky that you have such a wife! ;)

The War Wagon
03-02-2012, 5:21 AM
A good rule of thumb is whatever number of long guns they say the safe will hold, at the very least, cut that number in half.

In reality you will end up cutting that number in half as well, so figure 36 divided by 4.

Tents are the same way. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon11.gif

I'd like to meet the marketing genius who designates a safe, to be, "a 36 gun safe."

Q. And how - precisely - did you ARRIVE at that number, O mighty marketing genius?

A. Easy - we smelted down 36 guns, and poured 'em right in!!!

:facepalm:

Mr10
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
How is the electronic lock on this? I afraid it may go out overtime. Is there a backup key entree?

subrvin
12-04-2013, 7:12 PM
Just bought an almost new one with a few extra items from a great calgunner here for 300.00. He helped me load it into my van but I had to unload it and drag it into my house by myself! It's already full with all the overflow from my other safe. Time for a third?