PDA

View Full Version : Legal Bayonet Lug Solution?

Oswald2001
03-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I would like to build a legal OLL Galil type clone with an ORF receiver.

I have a wood fixed stock that I can use, so, that leaves me with the evil features of a flash hider, bayonet lug and detachable magazine.

Since I definitely want a detachable magazine, that means that I must deal with the flash hider and bayonet lug.

What if I silver soldered some kind of 'thread protector' on the threaded barrel so that I can reinstall the flash hider later if I move to a free state in the future? Is that legal?

Also, what if I silver solder something over the bayonet lug so that it cannot be used to fix a bayonet. Again, I would like to be able to restore the rifle to have a useable bayonet lug if I move to a free state in the future. Is this legal?

fguerra
03-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Bayo lugs are not a CA evil feature. The FH and detach mag is a no go.

SemiAutoSam
03-18-2007, 10:23 AM
There are 2 ways to build a rifle that does not activate SB23.

#1 you start off with a non listed receiver whether its AR or AK or anything else.

Then you can have one of these.

Fixed mag no more than 10 rounds with all the evil features you want.

OR

Detachable mag build with no evil features this includes no pistol grip.

BTW a bayonet lug / Mount is not a evil feature. Its a hold over term from the 1994 Federal AWB.

Its that simple. any questions ?

The only way the silver soldered flash hider comes into play in general is when the barrel is under 16 inches long.

Don't go there its not worth the jail time.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I would like to build a legal OLL Galil type clone with an ORF receiver.

I have a wood fixed stock that I can use, so, that leaves me with the evil features of a flash hider, bayonet lug and detachable magazine.

Since I definitely want a detachable magazine, that means that I must deal with the flash hider and bayonet lug.

What if I silver soldered some kind of 'thread protector' on the threaded barrel so that I can reinstall the flash hider later if I move to a free state in the future? Is that legal?

Also, what if I silver solder something over the bayonet lug so that it cannot be used to fix a bayonet. Again, I would like to be able to restore the rifle to have a usable bayonet lug if I move to a free state in the future. Is this legal?[/QUOTE]

Oswald2001
03-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info!

I would be using an ORF non-listed receiver with a Monster Man grip, fixed wood stock, intact bayonet lug, thread protector or muzzle brake and DETACHABLE MAG.

So...this is all Kali legal?

I am looking forward to 5.45 x 39, 7.62 x 39, 5.56 and .308 Galils if I can swing it. :D

SemiAutoSam
03-18-2007, 11:46 AM
YES.

But keep in mind its not legal advice. Read the law and rely upon yourself to know whats legal and whats not.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info!

I would be using an ORF non-listed receiver with a Monster Man grip, fixed wood stock, intact bayonet lug, thread protector or muzzle brake and DETACHABLE MAG.

So...this is all Kali legal?

I am looking forward to 5.45 x 39, 7.62 x 39, 5.56 and .308 Galils if I can swing it. :D

grywlfbg
03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
To flesh out SAS's post.

In Cali, evil features are ONLY: pistol grips of any kind or anything that allows a "pistol-style" grasp (thumbhole stock), folding or telescoping stock, and flash suppressors.

If you want a detabable mags, you cannot have any of the above.

Technical Ted
03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
This is the law:
12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Q
03-18-2007, 12:57 PM
hey oswald check out akforum.net. they have a project run for some ORF recievers with custom israeli engravings that look really nice.:cool:

Oswald2001
03-18-2007, 2:38 PM
Guys,

Thanks again!

qbertquartz2,

Thanks. I am aware of that group buy.

I am waiting to see how the bare sided receivers turn out before I buy my receivers.

ORF has come a long way with Galil receivers over the past few years, but, I want to make sure they have got 'all' the bugs worked out on this one.

Then I want to see how Angela does on the Israeli engraving for the entire run. I have seen her test engravings and they are beautiful.

I really like the amount of feedback from unbiased actual buyers/shooters that you can get on gun boards.

ETD1010
03-18-2007, 9:15 PM
Bayo lugs are not a CA evil feature. The FH and detach mag is a no go.

yep... look at SB23... no mention of bayonet lug...

bwiese
03-18-2007, 9:39 PM
If you are building a MonsterMan-equipped off-list rifle that uses detachable mags, you can't have a flash hider, folding or thumbhole or telescoping stock, etc.

Threaded barrels and bayonet lugs, however, are fine as they have nothing to do with rifle-based AW law in CA, and were just parts of now-expired Fed AW ban. (Semiauto pistols cannot have threaded bbls, however - which triggered the Walther P22 fiasco.)

Oswald2001
03-19-2007, 6:22 AM
Thanks, Bill!

I have a fixed wood stock that I can use in my build.

I am thinking that I could use a Galil folding stock if I 'permanently' pinned it into the extended position.

I remember some people did that with Butler Creek folding stocks for Mini-14's.

Would a properly placed rivet - making the folding stock incapable of folding - be acceptable to the DOJ? What other method would you suggest?

I would like to be able to restore my rifles' to original configuration if I move out of Kali in the future.

bwiese
03-19-2007, 6:28 AM
I have a fixed wood stock that I can use in my build.

I am thinking that I could use a Galil folding stock if I 'permanently' pinned it into the extended position.

I remember some people did that with Butler Creek folding stocks for Mini-14's.

Would a properly placed rivet - making the folding stock incapable of folding - be acceptable to the DOJ? What other method would you suggest?

I would like to be able to restore my rifles' to original configuration if I move out of Kali in the future.

The pinning of the stock will work. There is nothing about 'permanent' here.
While the law (unlike fixed vs. detachable mag) regulations don't require tools here, there's really no other way to do it: the goal is to have a stock that can't be opened/closed by hand (i.e, disassembly is a different thing).

Make sure you keep your rifle's overall length to a minimum of 30" otherwise you've triggered the tertiary definition of a CA AW.

Oswald2001
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Bill,

Will do.

Thanks again!