PDA

View Full Version : How to bolt a safe to a wood floor?

Dreaded Claymore
01-15-2012, 1:19 PM
I'd like to bolt down a safe to the wood floor in a closet. It's in a house that's about a hundred years old. I don't think I'll be able to access the underside of the floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
Most homes will have a crawl space under the house if they are built on a subfloor. Just because you have wood floors doesn't mean it's not built on a slab of some type. Given the fact that it's 100 years old, it's probably got a crawl space. Find the crawl space first then get back to us for some bolting down ideas. If no crawl space, then it's on some type of a slab/stone foundation. Either way confirm whats under the flooring and go from there. c good

There's definitely a crawl space. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to go down there, because it's extremely narrow. :( I'm pretty sure I'll fit, though.

kemasa
01-15-2012, 1:28 PM
The first thing is to see if you can actually access the underside of the floor rather than not being sure.

There are expanding metal parts at the hardware store, which could be used. I hope you own the house though.

Henry Shooter
01-15-2012, 1:35 PM
Look at not bolting the safe to the floor. Instead, get a piece of metal plate that is 3/8 to 1/2inch thick.. Cut it to be bigger than the access / door to the room you want to put it in and bigger than the safe. Then bolt the safe to the plate. If your floor will handle the weight, which it should because the weight is spread out. If the people that try to steal the safe, they cant get it out of the door. Just an idea

gunboat
01-15-2012, 2:14 PM
HS, that is a capital idea!!!!

If you are deternined to fasten the safe to the wood floor plain old lag screws should do the chore.

c good
01-15-2012, 3:14 PM
Most homes will have a crawl space under the house if they are built on a subfloor. Just because you have wood floors doesn't mean it's not built on a slab of some type. Given the fact that it's 100 years old, it's probably got a crawl space. Find the crawl space first then get back to us for some bolting down ideas. If no crawl space, then it's on some type of a slab/stone foundation. Either way confirm whats under the flooring and go from there. c good

Below.Zero
01-15-2012, 3:26 PM
Look at not bolting the safe to the floor. Instead, get a piece of metal plate that is 3/8 to 1/2inch thick.. Cut it to be bigger than the access / door to the room you want to put it in and bigger than the safe. Then bolt the safe to the plate. If your floor will handle the weight, which it should because the weight is spread out. If the people that try to steal the safe, they cant get it out of the door. Just an idea

:thumbsup:...... Niiiccceee

Dreaded Claymore
01-15-2012, 4:15 PM

There's definitely a crawl space. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to go down there, because it's extremely narrow. :( I guess the next question is, will I fit?

Edit: Yeah, I'll fit.

Tripper
01-15-2012, 4:30 PM

that is an awesome idea regardless of wood floor or the actual location you want to place it

Dreaded Claymore
01-15-2012, 4:41 PM

Thing is, you'd better be able to weld, and weld in that room. That's the only way you could make a metal plate that's too big to get out the door. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it in!

kemasa
01-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Thing is, you'd better be able to weld, and weld in that room. That's the only way you could make a metal plate that's too big to get out the door. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it in!

Not at all. You place the plate in first, then the safe on top of it. It only would not fit out when it is bolted to the safe. You could also make it in pieces and it need not be attach to each other, only the safe.

Fern
01-15-2012, 4:53 PM
If your already going under the house I would suggest installing something to support the added weight.

IntoForever
01-15-2012, 5:11 PM
When in the crawlspace, make sure there are no wires and plumbing in that location. Hitting something you're not supposed to can have really expensive consequences. Also take note of the sub floor, usually diagonal wood planks and try to bolt to different ones. If you can, also bolt it to as many walls as possible (I got lucky and my safe is bolted to 3).

Saym14
01-15-2012, 5:31 PM
If your already going under the house I would suggest installing something to support the added weight.

agreed - add some concrete piers with 4x4 posts. I would drop long threaded bolts in from the top -long enough to clear the under side of the floor joist and bolt them to 2 steel plated under the floor joists.

shooterfpga
01-15-2012, 5:34 PM
through bolt anchors, heavy steel plates.

Aric12
02-18-2016, 9:31 AM
Each of these replies probably helped address your question. With a house that old, you want to make sure that the safe is not compromising the integrity of the floor. The safe (http://united-locksmith.net/blog/9-types-of-security-safes-that-can-protect-your-valuables) itself will weigh quite a bit so you want to make sure that those floor boards can hold the weight. What do you intend to put in the safe? I ask because I would suggest not using a safe at all but instead using a good sized lockbox that you can conceal without having to compromise the integrity of the old house.

This article I read a while back was really informative on the different uses between safes and lockboxes (http://united-locksmith.net/blog/safes-vs-lockboxes). What I ended up doing was getting a lockbox and then investing in some high-quality locks to secure where I concealed them.

Hope this helps you out! :euro:

hermosabeach
02-18-2016, 9:50 AM
Anchor it on two sides.. If you miss the floor joists, then use butterfly toggles...

Also drill the backside of the safe and lag into the wall studs...

hermosabeach
02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
http://bar.jacomino.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG_3275.jpg

Zartan
02-20-2016, 8:01 PM
^^^^ That's a cute little bolt

:hide:

odysseus
02-20-2016, 8:49 PM
^^^^ That's a cute little bolt

That's a fact, I agree.

sigstroker
02-20-2016, 10:53 PM
The metal plate idea is nice for keeping the safe in the room, but that's not why you bolt them down. You do it so thieves can't knock the safe over. Once it's on it's back, a thief can get a pry bar in there with a lot of leverage and open the door in just a few minutes. If the safe is upright and the non-hinge side next to a wall, it's much harder to get in there with a pry bar and get any leverage.

22mobile
02-23-2016, 5:58 PM
hac d a double wide mobile home..crawled under with a piece of metal with a hole already drilled in it,drilled through the floor with the safe there,had the wife put a bolt 1/2 inch and bolted it down

Flying Sig
02-23-2016, 8:21 PM
Since the OP is from 2012, he probably already figured it out.

That said, I would probably use these:

http://www.diamondequipmentandsupply.com/12-Liberty-Block-Anchor-Female-Block12000TF-P24083.aspx

mikeyr
02-24-2016, 8:57 AM
I used 2x10's long enough to span the joists and lag screwed the 2x10 into the joists with 6" lag screws (Its a old house so 4x6 floor joists when 4x6's were really 4x6), then I screwed the safe to the 2x10's with 3 3" lag screws and one 6" lag screw where it hit the floor joist. Then one on the back of the safe to a stud and one on the side to another stud, that thing is not moving without some serious work.