View Full Version : anyone have experience with this flash hider?

01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
still gathering all the pieces together for my AR and i came across this flash hider on midwayusa.com

DoubleStar Cayman Flash Hider 1/2"-28 Thread AR-15 Steel Matte--$34.99

looks aren't so important since my build will be KISS, but i like this better than the 3 prong or bird cage. My only questions is how well it actually reduces RECOIL.

also, this review kinda threw me off....seems to make it sound like a flash ENHANCER:
Installed on my Stag 2TL. Man this thing is LOUD!!! Other shooters on the range thought I was shooting 7.62x51mm rounds. Cosmetic wise, it's intimidating and aggressive. The flash after every round was like lightning. It lit up to 5 lanes on either side of me. Perfect if you're filming a YouTube video If you want sight (flash signature) and sound (big bang) this is the compensator for you.

i just want it to be effective at reducing recoil as much as possible, and help keep the cost of building my AR down as much as possible. if i can't find that in a flash hider, i'll find a muzzle brake i like...

thanks in advance

01-15-2012, 12:32 PM
IDK about that thing, but I have a YHM Phantom muzzle brake. It's loud as hell and the concussion form it is intense if you aren't right behind the rifle.It seems to tame the recoil pretty well.

01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
i think the army discovered like 40 years ago prongs are not good idea

01-15-2012, 1:25 PM
it's a gun, so noise isn't an issue....just recoil reduction. Having a flash hider would also be nice, but my main goal is recoil reduction to help get my wife into shooting stuff bigger than our .22

I'm already leaning toward a muzzle brake, but having something that functions well as a flash hider would be nice, and if it happens to look cool at the same time...so be it.

01-16-2012, 6:57 AM
Battle Comp

01-16-2012, 6:59 AM
Battle Comp

King Armory

01-16-2012, 8:34 AM
Flash Hiders do NOT reduce recoil, they control the the flash

Muzzle Breaks help with recoil.

there are some that do both, the one you posted looks like it's only good for grinding meat and breaking glass.