PDA

View Full Version : Having shotgun shipped from Maryland...

i travel some
01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm very lost on the whole process, and acronyms and such so I sincerely apologize in advance....

My Dad wants to send me his shotgun. He lives in Maryland, I live here. Where do I begin..?? It's my understanding (I think) that I have to have it sent to an FFL here, does anyone here do any business with FFL's in Maryland, specifically Prince George County?

rromeo
01-15-2012, 11:07 AM
It must be sent TO an FFL, but it doesn't necessarily have to be sent FROM an FFL. That is up to the receiving FFL if he accepts private party shipments.

i travel some
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh OK! So that's to say that he can pack it and have it shipped to the FFL of my choice here in Cali, then I take over from this end with paperwork, 10 day wait, payment to FFL etc...?

***so long as the FFL receives private party shipments

ke6guj
01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhh OK! So that's to say that he can pack it and have it shipped to the FFL of my choice here in Cali, then I take over from this end with paperwork, 10 day wait, payment to FFL etc...?

***so long as the FFL receives private party shipments

you got it.

I'd suggest calling around and find that FFL that will accept a private party shipment, and more importantly ask him what he will charge for his service. The FFL is not limited to what he can charge. YOu can find FFLs that charge $10 all the way up to $100+ for his transfer fee, and there is also the $25 state DROS fee that needs to be paid. Some dealers will tell you that they charge $60, but that may or may not include the $25DROS fee. So, that $60 that you are expeciting is now $85. So, make sure you find out what the out-the-door cost is.

i travel some
01-15-2012, 12:30 PM
that's great gentlemen, thank you both!!!!