PDA

View Full Version : C&R checklist

elrey7698
01-15-2012, 12:27 AM
I checked online how i can get a c&r licence...all i found i that its $30 for 3 years...can i get a step by step of how to obtain my licence...also maybe a step by step on a ffl...also the fees...thanx

Mr.Sandman
01-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Fill it all out and mail the first copy to the BATF along with payment and the second copy to your local CLEO. Local PD if in a city or Sheriff if in unincorporated area or Sheriff responds if you were to call for help. Wait 2-12 weeks. DO NOT SIGN THE ORIGINAL when you get it in the mail. Go make a bunch of copies and send the copies signed to places you want to buy guns from. Then get busy becoming broke :43:

edit: oh also you will get more help here http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84

bcsoftware
01-15-2012, 11:13 AM
in California you will also need your COE to use your C&R. if you can buy a firearm in California you can get both. you can get the info for your COE at the CA DOJ website
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/coeapp.pdf i has other benefits to

Mr.Sandman
01-15-2012, 4:25 PM
in California you will also need your COE to use your C&R. if you can buy a firearm in California you can get both. you can get the info for your COE at the CA DOJ website
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/coeapp.pdf i has other benefits to

Not entirely true, you only need the COE if you want to be able to take a C&R rifle or handgun home the same day if purchased at a California FFL01 dealer. Otherwise you must wait the standard 10 days.

You can still get 50+ year old C&R rifles shipped to you, and you can still purchase C&R handguns out of state and bring them back with you, and then fill out the report form.

Cokebottle
01-15-2012, 4:39 PM
Not entirely true, you only need the COE if you want to be able to take a C&R rifle or handgun home the same day if purchased at a California FFL01 dealer. Otherwise you must wait the standard 10 days.

You can still get 50+ year old C&R rifles shipped to you, and you can still purchase C&R handguns out of state and bring them back with you, and then fill out the report form.
With the new long gun registration taking effect in 2014, it looks like (people smarter than us are clarifying) you will need a COE to have a long gun shipped in from out of state.

At the present moment in time, and until January 2014, whether to get the 03FFL depends on what you want it for.
Yes, it has some limited benefits, but it also carries some PITA.

Do you frequently travel out of state where you might purchase C&R firearms (long guns or handguns)? If yes, then the 03FFL is a benefit.
Do you desire to be able to order C&R long guns from out of state? If yes, then the 03FFL is a benefit.

If the answer to both questions is "no", then the 03FFL provides no benefit without also having the COE.
In addition to having no benefit, it adds the requirement of keeping a bound book of all C&R acquisitions/dispositions, and subjects you to BATFE audits.

A non-03FFL can meet someone in a parking lot, buy/sell a C&R long gun from them on a handshake and verbal confirmation that they aren't a prohibited person and are over 18, and go on their merry way.
An 03FFL must log that transaction in their bound book. They will need to verify ID, and copy the other party's drivers license information down into their bound book.
Also, an 03FFL can not transfer a C&R long gun to any person under 18 (do you have a child that you would like to give a Mauser for their 16th birthday?).

The COE adds a couple of benefits.
If you buy a C&R firearm from a dealer, the 03/COE combination eliminates the 10 day wait, and it also eliminates the 1-handgun-every-30-days restriction.

Presently... that's it. No other benefit to either license/certificate.

That might change after 2014.

elrey7698
01-17-2012, 4:23 AM
I would like to use it for mostly ftf purchases...maybe take advantage of some of the online deals...i travel to oregon alot and i have missed out on some great deals because i cant stay long enough to take posession of the purchase...

Cokebottle
01-17-2012, 6:31 PM
I would like to use it for mostly ftf purchases
03 by itself is actually a disadvantage for FTF purchases.
Handguns still have to go through an 01, and on long guns, right now, if it's over 50 years old, it's cash-and-carry for you.
With the 03, you have to log the purchase in your bound book, meaning you need to copy down the seller/buyer's driver's license information.
...maybe take advantage of some of the online deals...i travel to oregon alot and i have missed out on some great deals because i cant stay long enough to take posession of the purchase...
That is where the 03 is an advantage. It will allow you to make C&R purchases of both handguns and long guns out of state and bring them home with you.
For online purchases, you're still stuck with an 01 for handguns, but at least you can have long guns shipped to your door.