PDA

View Full Version : Info wanted on Kydex 1911 Hoster/ mag pouch/ belt set up for IPSC

PLINK
03-17-2007, 4:10 PM
I am currently using leather for the IPSC matches and I am thinking of switching to Kydex or the a like material. I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster/ one dual paddle mag pouch that I used in the past and these items seem to have far less drag, seems to be easier use, and seems faster when drawing the pistol/ pulling mags for reloads. I may go back to using this set up for the mean time. I also think I want to go with something like a two piece belt set up so the holster and mag pouches can be in the same spot for every match. I don't like how the location changes depending on what paints I have on. So I just wanted to get some idea's on what you are using. If you have the model numbers and/ or links that would be cool too.

I am currently shooting 1911 single stack but may switch to L-10 in the future. I know the holster/ mag pouch placement is different between these classes.

TIA

*My current rig (if you want to call it that) is a leather Dillon holster, 2x leather mag pouches, and a Bianchi belt. I think this stuff would be good for IDPA if I choose to go down that road later.

1911jerry
03-17-2007, 5:23 PM
Blade tech Holster - non injection moulded.

CR speed versa pouch mag holders - 3 for open or limited, 5 for production, L-10.

CR speed inner/outer belt

Production - mag pouches must be at the side of the hip at the bone. Holster must also be at the apex of the hip bone.

L-10, limited or Open = No restricted placement of mag holders or holsters

Jerry

I am currently using leather for the IPSC matches and I am thinking of switching to Kydex or the a like material. I have an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster/ one dual paddle mag pouch that I used in the past and these items seem to have far less drag, seems to be easier use, and seems faster when drawing the pistol/ pulling mags for reloads. I may go back to using this set up for the mean time. I also think I want to go with something like a two piece belt set up so the holster and mag pouches can be in the same spot for every match. I don't like how the location changes depending on what paints I have on. So I just wanted to get some idea's on what you are using. If you have the model numbers and/ or links that would be cool too.

I am currently shooting 1911 single stack but may switch to L-10 in the future. I know the holster/ mag pouch placement is different between these classes.

TIA

*My current rig (if you want to call it that) is a leather Dillon holster, 2x leather mag pouches, and a Bianchi belt. I think this stuff would be good for IDPA if I choose to go down that road later.

Rem1492
03-17-2007, 5:30 PM
As far as kydex holsters, I like how they grip and stay put when you slide them on. The bad part is they really do GRIP the gun tightly, which may not be to your advantage in a competition.

PLINK
03-17-2007, 8:22 PM
Blade tech Holster - non injection moulded.

CR speed versa pouch mag holders - 3 for open or limited, 5 for production, L-10.

CR speed inner/outer belt

Jerry

Thanks a lot.

For the Blade Tech - there is this one http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holster-w-TEK-LOK-pr-910.html#product_images

or this one

http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holster-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-871.html

There is a huge difference in price between injection molded and non-injection molded. What is a difference on how they work?

The CR speed mag pouches are not cheap but I can see why they would work well. The is a lot of adjustment there. It appears they fit single stack and double stack mags.

I also found this stuff in my search. Any thoughts.

http://www.comp-tac.com/

*The Beltfeed quad mag pouch

*The Belt Holster

Franksremote
04-26-2007, 7:07 AM
The injection molded one is not as firm nor adjustable for cant as the other. Works fine though I have one attached to a Blackhawk serpa backplate sitting it lower and making it adjustable for cant. and it was only $15 :p

The nice thing about the CR Speed pouches are that they aren't as bulky as other options while being fully adjustable for cant and adaptable for just about every mag configuration out there (they come with three spacers that will adjust the size accordingly). A bit pricier, but one set should take you through all classes.

I like the Comp-Tac beltfed, but rules may preclude it's use in the future as it sits too far from your body.

Holster choice is really up to you. If at all possible (not always) try as many as possible so that you find the one that addresses the height, cant and release that you like or else you'll end up like me with 5 different ones and only one that you use all the time. There isn't a right or wrong one, just the one that works for you. The DOH bladetech seems to be a favorite as it'll sit lower and adjustable to higher if the rules change.

3GunFunShooter
04-26-2007, 7:53 AM
+1 on the Bladetech DOH set up. Great for USPSA. Not legal for IDPA. I use it with the tec-loc attachment.
This works for 3 gun. Easy on, easy off.
I use the Wilderness belt, 5 stich, lined. Have looked at the CR speed belts,
but that system is good for just pistol matches, hard to set up for 3 gun,
with always changing from shotgun shell holders and rifle mag holders.
Wanted just one system for both.
I also have used the Uncle Mikes, paddle style for IDPA, holster and mag holders. And yes I have a box full of old holsters.

Yar
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
I assume your going to be shooting the 1911 Single stack class.

The injection molded holster should be fine. All bladetechs have tension screws which is the important thing to me. For a comeptition rig you want the tension on the gun to be on the lighter side for a smooth draw.

Your going to need a lot of mags I'm talking like 6 or more mags on the belt. Also in 1911 SS class your holster and first mag needs to be behind the begining of your hip bone. Since feild courses run up to 32 required shots you will need a minimum of 3 mags on the belt and one in the gun. Taking in consideration of misses, jams, and fumbled mag changes I see most guys run 5 or 6 mags on the belt. Better to have extra mags and ammo you won't need than to need and don't have. The last mag is well behind their back.

You can also stage mags around the stage if nessasary. I've seen production guys do this. They shoot a portion of the stage, run by and pick up the mag off the top of a low barracade and stick it in their belt.

So one consideration for mag pouches is how many you can fit on your belt. If your a big boy that's a non issue. If your a skinny guy it's a real concern. The skinny guys run some sort of mag pouches that has the front of the mag facing out. While it stick out the side of the belt more it does allow for more mags on the belt. Can't remember the name for these pouches.