PDA

View Full Version : Ak Build advise for the first timer

cactus
03-17-2007, 4:02 PM
Ok im contemplating joining the club and building an AK ( Cal legal of course ). So my first question was does any one know about or even better has any one used a ITM Ak receiver? It appears the ITM receiver is easy to get. Secondly being as its my first AK build I was going to go with a romanian parts kit being as there cheap in case I srcew it up; now is this receiver & parts kit compatible? Ive built a couple AR and that was fairly easy what about the ak? Am I going to need specialty tools even for this receiver? If so is any one interested in possibly renting them out in the Sacto area? Are we talking push pin here spring there, or tap thread and weld? Last question would any one be interested in a possible group build? I know its allot of questions but im trying to figure out if this task is worth taking on & if any one posses the answers theyd be in this forum!

Thank you all.

Builder
03-17-2007, 4:49 PM
So my first question was does any one know about or even better has any one used a ITM Ak receiver? It appears the ITM receiver is easy to get.Use the Calguns Search feature above and see what pops up. Do a google on the ITM AK receiver. There are reports of some fitting needed and the barrel trunion holes need to be drilled. The NDS-3 fits the Romanian parts kit almost perfectly with all holes are properly placed. Secondly being as its my first AK build I was going to go with a romanian parts kit being as there cheap in case I srcew it up; now is this receiver & parts kit compatible?The NDS-3 and Romanian certainly are! Ive built a couple AR and that was fairly easy what about the ak?It is screw, u-drive, rivet, or weld. If you rivet, then the barrel must be removed, which really should be done with a hydraulic press. The screw, u-drive, and TIG welding don't really need the barrel removed. Am I going to need specialty tools even for this receiver?Depends upon how you intend to join the receiver to the trunions. If so is any one interested in possibly renting them out in the Sacto area? Are we talking push pin here spring there, or tap thread and weld? Last question would any one be interested in a possible group build? I know its allot of questions but im trying to figure out if this task is worth taking on & if any one posses the answers theyd be in this forum! Thank you all.AK Files Gunsmithing and Build It Yourself http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4 is a good place to start. The trunions to receiver need to be securely joined which is more that just a push pin here, spring there. It means screw, rivet, u-drive, TIG weld.
Here's the links to AK builder info: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19918&highlight=links
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/DavidRSw/AK-47.jpg
This was done using TIG welding. It took about an hour with a Makita grinder and cut-off disk to grind both trunions and trigger guard rivets off. It took about an hour for a friend to TIG weld the trunions to the NDS receiver. I used 4mm dia. screws to attach the trigger guard. Then you finish as desired. Don't worry, the pistol grip is just resting there and isn't attached.
Hope this helps,
Builder

Addax
03-17-2007, 5:15 PM
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF THE AK RIFLE!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/100_0105.jpg

These are one of my most favorite rifles (some of my personal collection).

To address your questions:

1) ITM receivers are ok, but they are not the best. There are confirmed reports from several AK gunsmiths that these receivers usually need a little more fitting work to get parts to fit and function properly.

2) NOAKSPUD RECEIVERS, ARMORY USA RECEIVERS, DCI RECEIVERS, are the excellent examples of AK receivers.. There is a reason why ITM receivers are more readily available because most everyone else who is building AK's are using the receivers I just mentioned.

3) Romanian Parts kits are good, and they will definetly get the job done for you, especially on your first go around with a AK type rifle.
The better kits on the market are the Polish, Bulgarian, Hungarian and even original Russian/Soviet Kits (I have seen only a couple of them, in used condition, and very pricey)...

4) You need to PM jemaddux. He is currently building AK rifles here in California, and he can build you a really nice one.

5) The AK rifle is a simple rifle vs. an AR when it comes to mfg. Building an Ak from a parts kit I have heard is not a herculean feat, but you need to know how to build it and you need to have the right tools. My advice, have jemaddux build one for you.. Or one of the many talented AK builders like Armory USA, Volunteer Ordnance Works etc.

6) Group Buy, depends on what you are buying...:) I might be interested...:)

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Addax

Ok im contemplating joining the club and building an
AK ( Cal legal of course ). So my first question was does any one know about or even better has any one used a ITM Ak receiver? It appears the ITM receiver is easy to get. Secondly being as its my first AK build I was going to go with a romanian parts kit being as there cheap in case I srcew it up; now is this receiver & parts kit compatible? Ive built a couple AR and that was fairly easy what about the ak? Am I going to need specialty tools even for this receiver? If so is any one interested in possibly renting them out in the Sacto area? Are we talking push pin here spring there, or tap thread and weld? Last question would any one be interested in a possible group build? I know its allot of questions but im trying to figure out if this task is worth taking on & if any one posses the answers theyd be in this forum!

Thank you all.

SmokinGun
03-17-2007, 5:30 PM
Addax,
Could you tell me where you prurchased your black synthetic buttstocks and handguards? I would like to buy w/o the pistol grip.
Thanks...

Addax
03-17-2007, 10:57 PM
The AK's with the milled receivers are Arsenal Inc. rifles that came with the black synthetic stocks and handguards.

Kvar (who is also owned by the same owner of Arsenal Inc) sells them. They normally have sets for stamped and milled receiver AK rifles.

The AK74's have the Nato length stocks which are 1.25" longer than standard.

You can also check on Gunbroker, I just picked up a set going on my Polish rifle build (pictured at top minus any stock or handguards.

Now I just need to get a few MM grips..:)

rssslvr
03-17-2007, 11:26 PM
+1,000,000 go with the NDS receivers over the ITMs.I have built on both and the ITMs are a PITA.IMO the NDS-3s with a Romy kit is the best bang for the buck.Also get good rivets if you do a rivet build,don't try and save $2-3 and get cheap rivets.I recomend the ak-builder rivets

PLINK
03-18-2007, 1:14 AM
PM sent!