PDA

View Full Version : range report on my Mark II

ns3v3n
03-17-2007, 4:48 PM
hey guys, went to the range with my dad today to shoot my ruger mark II that i bought a few weeks back. and i have to say i'm impress with it. i was using cci blazer 22lr and wolf .22lr match target ammo on it. i had a few stovepipes but only on the wolf ammo. it took awhile to adjust to the gun and the gun was shooting about an inch high at 21 feet.

here's the over all target with me and my dad blasting on it.
my dad is a first time shooter, he didnt do half bad, sometimes it's all over the place, sometimes it's pretty good.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ns3v3n/DSC00083.jpg

after getting used to the gun it's getting much better,

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ns3v3n/DSC00084.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b123/ns3v3n/DSC00085.jpg

all these were shot at a distance of 21 feet. This is the first time with this pistol and went through 300rds real quick. i expect the groupings to get better after a few practices. The sights on there were a bit hard to line up, i might have to do something about it. It's too dark. maybe some glow in the dark paint? i dunno. but i just want to share my experience at the range with my fellow calgunners!. Maybe next time i'll see you at the range as well!:D

forgot to say the volquartsen accurizing kit on there work real well, nice crisp pull, it should be like 2.5lb or so. i'm a happy camper with this gun. i got 7 more boxes of 50rds to burn that came with the gun before i need to buy again, but i have a feeling the next session at the range will take care of that hehe

maxicon
03-17-2007, 6:32 PM
What really helped shrink my MK512 groups (aside from the Volquartsen trigger) was adding an Ultradot red dot to mine. It makes it pretty heavy, with the bull barrel and all, but shooting with that red dot feels like cheating...

bigkahuna04
03-17-2007, 6:41 PM
the ruger MKII is a great little .22. ... glad you had a great time with your dad at the range. those are memories / and experiences that you'll always look back on.

i've taken my daughter to the range, and her favorites are a MKII and a 10/22...she can hit a hanging tennis ball most of the time at 17 yds. she has good steady hands.

you will have years of enjoyment with that .22.:o

ns3v3n
03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
What really helped shrink my MK512 groups (aside from the Volquartsen trigger) was adding an Ultradot red dot to mine. It makes it pretty heavy, with the bull barrel and all, but shooting with that red dot feels like cheating...

haha yeah i was thinking about putting one on there, but kinda tight on funds right now so going to stick with iron sights right now. also i need to drill/tap my MK512 for a mount too. so it's going to be awhile hehe.

maxicon
03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Weigand makes a good Weaver slot no-tap mount for the MkII series, and they sell blems/returns on ebay for $25 - a great deal if you're on a budget (new ones are $40). You have to pull the rear sight to mount it, but it's a good, sturdy mount. Mine is an older version, and the current ones are lighter.

Search ebay for ruger mk* mount. Avoid the B-square no-tap mount...

Boomer1961
03-18-2007, 1:44 PM
Weigand makes a good Weaver slot no-tap mount for the MkII series, and they sell blems/returns on ebay for $25 - a great deal if you're on a budget (new ones are $40). You have to pull the rear sight to mount it, but it's a good, sturdy mount. Mine is an older version, and the current ones are lighter.

Search ebay for ruger mk* mount. Avoid the B-square no-tap mount...

Not sure what brand of site I have on my Ruger but.......

It is machined to sit around the reciever then uses the two halves as strong backs and is bolted firmly to the receiver. It does not require the removal of the sites, in fact for my friends bull barrel you can still use the OEM sites by pearing under the mount so it works, sort of, but since you are looking through a pipe so to speak means the regular sites are only good for bright days/lots of light. For my standard model the sites are just shy of being usable. I thought of notching the bolt holding the site on so the site was visible in between but decided that was not enough to be practical. I do like the red dot site but since then I graduated to the crimson laser site and now can chase the beer can around the camp site just like those gunslingers on TV by just quickly pointing and shooting, pointing and shooting,....

I think the old ruger MKII is the nicest 22 cal pistol and most reliable as min even shoots/eats up old bent and out of shape rounds that I cylced or had fail to fire in my other 22 cal firearms. The only negative/con is that it is large and heavy for a 22 cal but at the same time those two features is what makes it so reliable/dependable/easy to shoot and one of the best beginner firearms.

GOOD LUCK!