PDA

View Full Version : Angeles shooting range rifle/shotgun range

Prc329
03-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know how big steel targets at 200 and 300 yards?

I was out there this morning and it was my first time shooting on that side. I spent most of my time shooting the 200 and 300 yard steel targets. My clonepoint worked great at those distances. I had much more fun shooting on that side then the steel plate at 100 yards on the other side.

BTW, Fiocchi Exacta 223 77 grain SMK bullets are very good. Feed beautifully and pretty accurate. I got a few good 1" groups at 100 yards. my 1-8 stabilized them nicely, no key holing at all.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-17-2007, 12:09 PM
The ovals are about 14" - 16" the others all get bigger from there.

Prc329
03-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Cool thanks. I was very pleased with myself. Especially being my first time shooting to those distances and shooting with iron/red dot sights.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Cool thanks. I was very pleased with myself. Especially being my first time shooting to those distances and shooting with iron/red dot sights.

Next time you go PM me, I'm only about 20 minutes away..... We really need to get a Calguns shoot at Angeles in the future. The place has great parking and the range is very nice....

What's hilarious is when they have to shut down the range because deer occassionally walking across it.....:eek:

Prc329
03-17-2007, 12:35 PM
There was a deer that ran across the road as I drove down to the parking lot. I am really starting to like shooting early at that place. It seems if you get there close to opening the "questionable" people are still sleeping and haven't goyt to the range yet. They are showing up as you leave :)

iRIGHTi
03-17-2007, 1:08 PM
there's a group of us 50 shooters that go out to angeles the 3rd sunday of each month. we take over the far left end of the range by the clay throwers. i usually get up there 1 more time each month during spring and summer. always get there early before kooks start showing up like you said prc. i bring my 1919's out once in awhile too.
notice your in LB prc. ever get down to 2nd Street in the Shore?

troyPhD
03-17-2007, 1:16 PM
Next time you go PM me, I'm only about 20 minutes away..... We really need to get a Calguns shoot at Angeles in the future. The place has great parking and the range is very nice....

Count me in for that. Haven't been to Angeles a while.

James R.
03-17-2007, 1:26 PM
There was a deer that ran across the road as I drove down to the parking lot. I am really starting to like shooting early at that place. It seems if you get there close to opening the "questionable" people are still sleeping and haven't goyt to the range yet. They are showing up as you leave :)

Questionable? Ohh boy, that's sad to hear. Burro Canyon is the range where I expect (and do) to find questionable people, not Angeles.

Regards,

James R.

Prc329
03-17-2007, 1:35 PM
there's a group of us 50 shooters that go out to angeles the 3rd sunday of each month. we take over the far left end of the range by the clay throwers. i usually get up there 1 more time each month during spring and summer. always get there early before kooks start showing up like you said prc. i bring my 1919's out once in awhile too.
notice your in LB prc. ever get down to 2nd Street in the Shore?

Ever been to Panama Joe's, Open Sesame and Shore House Cafe in Belmont Shores? My favorite spots down there.

Prc329
03-17-2007, 1:36 PM
Questionable? Ohh boy, that's sad to hear. Burro Canyon is the range where I expect (and do) to find questionable people, not Angeles.

Regards,

James R.

Later in the day (after 12) I always notice a few "gangster" looking characters. Never had a problem though.

Millions-Knives
03-17-2007, 2:00 PM
If I remember correctly, they display a set of their metal targets on the brick wall just outside of the office on the long gun range.

currahee
03-17-2007, 3:44 PM
Usually a pretty good bunch of people. The staff keep an eye on things, won't tolerate any stupidity. They tell me that Wed. evening is gangbanger time. Also, there are usually several cops nearby on the various private rental ranges.
-C.

Mute
03-17-2007, 4:08 PM
Ever been to Panama Joe's, Open Sesame and Shore House Cafe in Belmont Shores? My favorite spots down there.

Love Shore House. One of my favorite breakfast places. That and Harbor House in Sunset Beach.

tujungatoes
03-18-2007, 6:26 AM
Usually a pretty good bunch of people. The staff keep an eye on things, won't tolerate any stupidity. They tell me that Wed. evening is gangbanger time. Also, there are usually several cops nearby on the various private rental ranges.
-C.

Yeah you get some weirdo's there wednesday night. But you do get some people with some neat rifles. I just watch for the guys that think they're "gangster O.G.". They're just obnoxious, not really hazardous. And it's fun to watch them get kicked off the line.:D

jester
03-18-2007, 8:53 AM
Someone should maybe arrange a CALGUNS shoot at Angeles on the Eagles Nest. The highest range there, elevation wise. The road goes to the left of the long gun range and up. I believe it is rentable. The WEBSHOOTERS group reserved it one time and that was lots of fun, had about 60 folks. From up there you shoot across about the middle of the rifle range, its only about 100 yds, but relatively private.

Mute
03-18-2007, 2:17 PM
Eagles Nest would be great for a general get together (pistols, shotguns, all types of rifles). I've been up there on a few training classes and it's fairly private. You'll need to bring your own shade, tables and chairs though.

Prc329
03-18-2007, 2:31 PM
How do you go about renting one of those ranges? Yardage?

Mute
03-18-2007, 3:41 PM
How do you go about renting one of those ranges? Yardage?

$150/day plus 12/person. Must have an NRA Certified instructor present or an Angeles RO @$14/hour. Another good reason for me to consider getting certified as an NRA instructor.

maurice05
03-18-2007, 4:22 PM
i question weather i should come out to the rang or not i keep reading about gangbangers and the wrong people i would just like to ask what determines what they are? I a black male into weapone i own just to name a few a FAL, a daewoo dr200, building a AR-15 have a PTR-91 on order have a AR-15 preban a walther p-99 and a calico plus a few other things all LEGAL i just want tomake sure that if i end up at Angeles i wont be mistaken since my friends and i may fit the appearance

Prc329
03-18-2007, 6:20 PM
I'm a black male and usually go out there with a mexican and asian males. Just don't go down there in "gang attire". I usually go in jeans and a comfy shirt or my Ammo Bros t-shirt. You also seem to know your weapons and from what I have seen, the questionable people are pretty clueless and act stupid.

The best time I have found to go is between 9 and 10 AM. i usually spend about 1 to 2 hours shooting when I am alone. The knuckle heads usually show up after 12. I have been on saturday and sunday mainly.

maurice05
03-18-2007, 6:46 PM
i guess but i also have friends who fit the profile but who arent gangbangers at least not any more but usually know how to act in public.. so what do you shoot when ur there

Prc329
03-18-2007, 7:05 PM
My AR15s, I also mess around on the pistol range. Shooting steel is a lot more fun then paper. I miss my 1894C. I think I need another one. That was a fun gun to shoot the steel with.

markymark
03-18-2007, 7:43 PM
I'm a black male and usually go out there with a mexican and asian males. Just don't go down there in "gang attire". I usually go in jeans and a comfy shirt or my Ammo Bros t-shirt. You also seem to know your weapons and from what I have seen, the questionable people are pretty clueless and act stupid.

The best time I have found to go is between 9 and 10 AM. i usually spend about 1 to 2 hours shooting when I am alone. The knuckle heads usually show up after 12. I have been on saturday and sunday mainly.
I think it's pretty cool to see people of different ethnicities hang out together.

As for maurice's question, you should be fine shooting at Angeles as long as you follow the rules (they can be pretty strict and one RO in particular can and sometimes does yell if you are unsafe) and aren't unruly in behavior.

maurice05
03-18-2007, 8:08 PM
thanks markymark thats what i wanted to hear i will be out there some time in the beginning of april

Prc329
03-18-2007, 8:19 PM
I'm planning a trip to Angeles around the beginning of April. I'll let you know when I get a firm date. It will be about 10 of us. We are going to hit the long range side. I have a beat going with my buddy that I can do better than him with irons at 300 yards. To make things even we are going to shoot Xm193 from my 16" heavy barrel units. I think that will give us more of a level playing field so it will be all on the shooter. I say I can do 80% or better. I also have a couple of guys on the OLL fence and they want to shoot my stuff.

markymark
03-18-2007, 8:22 PM
I'm planning a trip to Angeles around the beginning of April. I'll let you know when I get a firm date. It will be about 10 of us. We are going to hit the long range side. I have a beat going with my buddy that I can do better than him with irons at 300 yards. To make things even we are going to shoot Xm193 from my 16" heavy barrel units. I think that will give us more of a level playing field so it will be all on the shooter. I say I can do 80% or better. I also have a couple of guys on the OLL fence and they want to shoot my stuff.

Do you shoot at the steel targets or paper at 300yrds with iron sights?

Prc329
03-18-2007, 8:24 PM
Steel. I was being lazy and didn't feel like walking to 300 yards. Actually I think they only allow paper to 200 yards.

Prc329
03-18-2007, 8:25 PM
http://www.angelesranges.com/range_layout.htm

I usually use the right side to sight in and just started shooting on the left side.

markymark
03-18-2007, 8:35 PM
If any of you guys shoot on Thursdays (1/2 price), let's meet up. I could use a few pointers.

whlgun
03-18-2007, 8:36 PM
If you guys want to get together and rent a range there let me know and we can get together and ill take care of all the arrangments. I also count as a NRA instructor as i work there.

Also i do believe we should have a OLL shoot up at angeles. Let me know your thoughts.

Prc329
03-18-2007, 8:41 PM
What exactly do we need to rent a range there? It said something about insurance,etc?

whlgun
03-18-2007, 9:03 PM
If you dont have insurance you can buy some i believe 11 a person. Also guys you can rent a range for a half day and save some money just let me know when. We are usually booked a month in advance so keep that in mind.

maurice05
03-18-2007, 9:25 PM
i thnk im going to enjoy this fourm i havnt shoot in abut two (2) YEARS due to work but im realy looking forward to trying out my FAL does any one have a OLL AK i courious about how you load it im considering buying one since wen they were baned the first time i was to young to buy

tujungatoes
03-19-2007, 2:55 PM
hey whlgun do you work wednesday nights?

AudiA
03-19-2007, 3:03 PM
Angeles is my home range, been going there for about 3-4 years now and it would be really nice to get some CG buddies for a shoot. Im usually there by myself but ocassionally go there with a friend or two. Lets just set up a time even if we dont get a private range. Im only 10min away...

whlgun
03-20-2007, 9:32 PM
I used to work wednesday nights and maybe they will put me back. I do enjoy shooting wednesdays now that i have it off if anyone wants to meet up. Right now wednesdays are mellow but in the summer it can be crowded with that bad element hanging around. So keep that in mind. Also In the future i would like to have a calguns off list on list and everything else shoot getting together ounce a month on a saterday. If anybody else thinks this would be fun let me know.

markymark
03-20-2007, 9:42 PM
Set it for a Sunday so I can make it. :)

Mr.RoDiN
03-20-2007, 9:49 PM
Ill be there this sunday! I just found out about the Calguns every third sunday deal. Are you guys open for more shooters? Im about 20 minutes away.

whlgun
03-20-2007, 9:55 PM
Ill be there this sunday! I just found out about the Calguns every third sunday deal. Are you guys open for more shooters? Im about 20 minutes away.

What deal.

And Markymark if its Sunday I work and could only watch all the fun. But whatever works for you guys you can have a shoot saterdays and sundays.