PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Which AR-10 upper and buttstock to get

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Well I'm finally getting a Fulton lower etc, but I've got some decisions to make.

1 - Upper
2 - Buttstock

On the Upper

1 - Noveske - They are sweeeeeet but pricey
2 - Armalite - Half the price of a Noveske, but are they 1/2 the quality
3 - POF - Great quality but will it work with a Fulton?
4 - Other recommendations

Buttstock

1 - The Magpul PRS very nice, but it looks heavy
2 - The Magpul CTR less expensive and looks about 1/2 the weight of a PRS

Any advice is appreciated, I really want to make the best decisions on this. My goal is to make an accurate, and light weight AR-10 that I can be proud of.

Thanks,

Mark

m1371
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Well I'm finally getting a Fulton lower etc, but I've got some decisions to make.

1 - Upper
2 - Buttstock

On the Upper

1 - Noveske - They are sweeeeeet but pricey
2 - Armalite - Half the price of a Noveske, but are they 1/2 the quality
3 - POF - Great quality but will it work with a Fulton?
4 - Other recommendations

Buttstock

1 - The Magpul PRS very nice, but it looks heavy
2 - The Magpul CTR less expensive and looks about 1/2 the weight of a PRS

Any advice is appreciated, I really want to make the best decisions on this. My goal is to make an accurate, and light weight AR-10 that I can be proud of.

Thanks,

Mark

My 0.02 for you..... Get the PRS buttstock. You'll like it, trust me.

As for the upper, I was under the impression that Armalite had a proprietary angle on the back of the lower that requires the use of an Armalite (or similarly cut) lower with it.

Get a DPMS upper and you should be good to go.

Prc329
03-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I have a few PRS stocks and they are awesome (I'm getting to old for that word). Remember they are different models for the AR15 and Ar10.

tiger222
03-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Mark

Do you want a military rifle, a more precision shooter or a carbine?

Seems like you are leaning towards a carbine ~

If so I'd do a DPMS AP4 M4 upper with the 4 rail handguard and a Magpul CTR. Have the bbl cut back to 14.5" and install a vortex :)

and you are set!

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-18-2007, 6:11 PM
Mark

Do you want a military rifle, a more precision shooter or a carbine?

Seems like you are leaning towards a carbine ~

If so I'd do a DPMS AP4 M4 upper with the 4 rail handguard and a Magpul CTR. Have the bbl cut back to 14.5" and install a vortex :)

and you are set!

Thanks for the input. But how accurate is it, and is there a preferred barrel twist?

Thanks,

Mark

bwiese
03-18-2007, 6:21 PM
IMHO Armalite is the leader in 308 AR designs. There are more 308 ARs fielded in operation over the longest time by Armalite than any other mfgr.

I believe Noveske AR10 uppers are just Armalite uppers with his fancy barrels.

Your use of a what type of upper will be determined by what type of lower you have or acquire.

While DPMS & etc seem to be selling their own AR10 stuff I don't think they have the analytical background and technical engineering excellence that Armalite does.

If you do get a Hesse/Vulcan lower, you can use an Armalite upper. That may not be possible with DPMS/Fulton/etc lower without modification(s) to upper and/or lower.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-18-2007, 6:28 PM
IMHO Armalite is the leader in 308 AR designs. There are more 308 ARs fielded in operation over the longest time by Armalite than any other mfgr.

I believe Noveske AR10 uppers are just Armalite uppers with his fancy barrels.

Your use of a what type of upper will be determined by what type of lower you have or acquire.

While DPMS & etc seem to be selling their own AR10 stuff I don't think they have the analytical background and technical engineering excellence that Armalite does.

If you do get a Hesse/Vulcan lower, you can use an Armalite upper. That may not be possible with DPMS/Fulton/etc lower without modification(s) to upper and/or lower.

Bill,

I ordered the Fulton, who would I contact in L.A. that could help me out with making this work, and which Armalite upper would you recommend, and who to get it from?

Thanks,

Mark

C.G.
03-18-2007, 8:38 PM
Bill,

I ordered the Fulton, who would I contact in L.A. that could help me out with making this work, and which Armalite upper would you recommend, and who to get it from?

Thanks,

Mark

You should forget about an Armalite upper for your Fulton lower. It would be too much of a headache to modify one to fit. Either get the DPMS or Noveske (the DPMS version).

adamsreeftank
03-18-2007, 8:40 PM
I think your options for an upper on a Fulton 308 lower are:

DPMS
Fulton
JP Rifles

Other custom shops could probably build you someting special but it would need to be based on a DPMS 308 upper.

bwiese
03-18-2007, 8:41 PM
What C.G. said..

Yes, Noveske is apparently doing separate Armalite- and DPMS-compatbile uppers.