PDA

View Full Version : When driving with an OLL rifle and a cop pulls behind you:

threadcrapper
03-16-2007, 11:01 PM
When you're driving to or from the range with your legal OLL build and a Police unit pulls behind you in traffic, do you:

Tweak338
03-16-2007, 11:04 PM
I drive like normal, because I know my truck is registered, its smogged, my rifle is legal, and im not driving like a madman

ivanimal
03-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I always fly straight no worries here.

ghost
03-16-2007, 11:08 PM
why flip out if youre all legit?panicking doent make any situation any better,just be calm.

Matt C
03-16-2007, 11:09 PM
No worries...

hoffmang
03-16-2007, 11:10 PM
In fact, don't behave too much when they're behind you. Trying to be too perfect makes them keep paying attention.

-Gene

Matt C
03-16-2007, 11:13 PM
In fact, don't behave too much when they're behind you. Trying to be too perfect makes them keep paying attention.

-Gene

That's true, just drive normal and don't do anything bizzare or really bad.

anonymous
03-16-2007, 11:18 PM
When you're driving to the range or desert or on the way back and in traffic a Police unit pulls directly behind you, do you:

One of the following:

(1) Flush the lower down the toilet (if you have a RV)
(2) Toss it out the window in the bushes (if on a wooded road)
(3) Accelerate immediately to try and out run him (if you have run flats)
(4) Lacking the above, toss the lower in your Colman portable steel smelter

Or if none of the above are possible given your circumstances, just avoid DUI, driving a stolen car, having drugs in open view, handguns in the glove compartment, or with a warrant out for your arrest, and they probably arn't going to search you.

DedEye
03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Floor it and try to lose him on surface streets :p.

hoffmang
03-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Turn on your fancy new LED invisibility system.

-Gene

radioactivelego
03-17-2007, 12:31 AM
A cop? Behind me?

Don't all CHP, sheriffs, and LAPD drive 85mph in the fast lane anyways?

xenophobe
03-17-2007, 12:34 AM

-Gene

I actually tend to drive a few MPH faster than the posted speed limit if a cop is near me or behind me.

I always casually look directly at them if they're to the side of me too.

I've got nothing to hide and nothing illegal. No worries here.

kap
03-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Turn on your fancy new LED invisibility system.

-Gene

Roger that.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/6370/invisibleledilluminatoriz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Even if they did pull me over I do not consent to searches and they will have no PC to go snooping around in my car, so I don't worry about it at all.

slick_711
03-17-2007, 12:53 AM
When cops are near me in traffic I roll down my windows, turn up the stereo, slouch over toward the center of the car and put my seat back so I can barely see over the steering wheel. Then I raise my thumb, stick out my index finger, and point it at them and mouth "bang, bang."

What kind've poll is this? Drive safely and intelligently, firearms or no. Don't panic, as long as your rifle is configured legally you have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

socalguns
03-17-2007, 1:06 AM
No, but one likes to drive 55 and fill out reports on the steering wheel

Jicko
03-17-2007, 1:17 AM
What kind've poll is this? Drive safely and intelligently, firearms or no. Don't panic, as long as your rifle is configured legally you have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

+1 "What kind of poll is this!?!?" in the riflemans forum!?

Unless you wanna figure out how and where to start shooting at to stop them from coming towards you....

Or you want to discuss "stopping power".... to use 5.56 or 7.62 to *stop* a patrol car....

Or you wanna ask whether a pistol grip shift stick or a detachable steering wheel is illegal....

etc....

Mssr. Eleganté
03-17-2007, 2:15 AM
I've got this sticker in the rear window of my car that shows I support the Police Charity League Association, so cops know not to mess with me.

Tzvia
03-17-2007, 5:33 AM
I just drive normally (me, normal HA! :rolleyes: ).

I always keep my eyes peeled, and stop at stopsigns, use signals, don't run reds and don't speed. Been driving 30 years and have never bee pulled over. I give enough money to gvmt, don't wanna give another cent because I did not push a lever UP before making a right turn, or wanted to save 3 seconds by doing a 'California stop' at a stopsign. Not worth it to give away money for really stupid stuff. That money is a case or two of .223!

So I don't change my driving habits with guns in the car. They are legal, I am driving legally, and no body bothers the lady in the 4x4 :D .

theholsterstorecom
03-17-2007, 5:38 AM
FLOOR IT AND CAUSE A 26 CAR PILE UP.......

No im kidding, just drive smooth and listen to jazz music. The jazz music always helps for good luck!

Japedo
03-17-2007, 5:53 AM
If its at night I turn off the lights and go stealth mode

tenpercentfirearms
03-17-2007, 6:55 AM
You see, here in Kern County, we have a different way of life. The cops see me driving like this (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/scooter4.jpg) and it never bothers them. The only thing they say is, "Why aren't you wearing a helmet?"

SemiAutoSam
03-17-2007, 7:22 AM
Look out Wes this guy is behind you. You don't have any illegal doughnuts concealed on your person do you ?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/KERNCOKYA.jpg

If you notice him behind you strap on your jet packs and you may be able to evade him.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/WesScooter2.jpghttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/WesScooter.jpghttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/WesScooter3.jpg

You see, here in Kern County, we have a different way of life. The cops see me driving like this (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g52/elrojo14/scooter4.jpg) and it never bothers them. The only thing they say is, "Why aren't you wearing a helmet?"

WokMaster1
03-17-2007, 8:26 AM
Toss doughnuts out the window to distract him.............:p

DJDace
03-17-2007, 8:30 AM
If I be ridin' dirty that day, I pull mah piece and rack the slide to chamber a round of FOTAY in my gat!

You know, or drive like a normal person and not get hassled at all. I drive around with a freaking huge black gun case in my back seat and never get so much as a passing glance (my wifes 2004 VW Beetle has no trunk space with her huge sub-woofer in it).

24_minutes_to_1000
03-17-2007, 8:44 AM
The option C) Stick the rifle out the open driver's window with your right hand, and while steering with the left and driving wildy, open fire on the police car

was conspicuously absent. I saw it in a movie once, so it must be a viable option.

SemiAutoSam
03-17-2007, 8:49 AM
Looks like a IR light source.

With devices like this you can have a B/W Video camera setup and it can see where there is no visible light.

IR light is also the way early Night Vision devices worked.

What h
the heck is that thing?

Gshock
03-17-2007, 8:59 AM
I hit my chaff countermeasure button which launches doughnuts out the sides of my suv and throws them off my trail :D

ARRRR-15
03-17-2007, 9:00 AM
I guess I might feel a little nervous jsut having a gun in the truck. I don't have tinted windows and it would be easy to see the ammo cans and gun case. So if I did get stopped he would know I had a gun with me. Just having to answer the questions makes me nervous.

ARRRR-15
03-17-2007, 9:01 AM
I hit my chaff countermeasure button which launches doughnuts out the sides of my suv and throws them off my trail :D

I think starbucks would work better these days.:D

Socal858
03-17-2007, 9:02 AM

for better chaff you should wrap said donuts in foil, then the radar gun will read the speeds of the donut and not your vehicle

24_minutes_to_1000
03-17-2007, 9:05 AM

Thank you. Because of the above, I was able to rinse my sinus cavity with warm coffee, and had it dribbling out of my nose.

SemiAutoSam
03-17-2007, 9:06 AM
I had a CAR15 rifle that would fit in a M60 Barrel bag that hung behind the seat in my GMC truck about 20 years ago. if you hung a rifle like this manner would it be thought of as illegal ? or just secure and out of site for security reasons ?

Note: I don't have this rifle any longer LASO is playing with it now. LOL

guimus
03-17-2007, 9:54 AM
Whenever taking new folks to the range (every few weeks, lately) I give them a safety and procedures briefing on the way up (1/2 hour drive). One thing I cover is what to do if we get pulled over. I always tell them to just stay quiet and do exactly what I say, CUZ WE GOT THEM PIGS SERIOUSLY OUTGUNNED!!!! They usually have to think for a while before they realize I'm joking...don't know what that says about me.

That said, in my 12 years of driving, I've never had so much as a parking ticket. Driving is so incredibly easy (I usually bike to the places I'm going) that I never feel the need to drive too aggressively.

hoffmang
03-17-2007, 10:06 AM
+1 for eye contact. If you show healthy respect for yourself to a LEO, make eye contact and hold your head up treating him like a peer or a respected servant, you may be surprised the response you get. Just make sure you know how to mean it.

Human to human interaction isn't all that far from the Dog Whisperer...

-Gene

Mssr. Eleganté
03-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Human to human interaction isn't all that far from the Dog Whisperer...

So true.

http://www.type03.net/novelty-pics/tsst.jpg

rassd71
03-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I stress out, but not because of the rifle, I first have to check my speed to see if I was driving like a 'madman'! Then I just continue on as normal, but maybe a little slower. :-)

trouble
03-17-2007, 1:12 PM
I think a lot of you guys are big talk and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm chicken.

If I have the gun or rifle with me I definitely make sure to drive sensibly and carefully. No point giving them any more ammunition (no pun intended) once they pull me over. I even make a point of tucking my locked pistol case behind the seat (not hidden, but not out in easy view) and my S&W bag logo towards the back and no obvious ammo cases or anything.

Who knows what a cop will do when presented with a 100% legal gun. You gotta admit they're going to be a lot more suspicious and defensive... and who knows what that could potentially lead to.

As for my AR-15. I believe I have it legally configured as we've discussed time and time again on these forums. That does not mean that a rogue officer or the 527 DAs or whatever couldn't and wouldn't make my life more difficult than I would like it to be. Hell, we can't get the experts at the DoJ to admit what's legal, can't get newbies on the forum to understand what's legal, can't get vendors and even ranges to allow what's legal.... I'd rather not take my chances with an armed officer thankyouverymuch!

When a cop pulls up behind me, yeah I tense up thinking about the worse case scenario that could happen.... legal or not.

savage1
03-17-2007, 1:32 PM
I had a CAR15 rifle that would fit in a M60 Barrel bag that hung behind the seat in my GMC truck about 20 years ago. if you hung a rifle like this manner would it be thought of as illegal ? or just secure and out of site for security reasons ?

Note: I don't have this rifle any longer LASO is playing with it now. LOL

Rifles do not play by the same rules as handguns. You can have them on the seat next to you as long as they are not loaded, although it is not adviseable. I always have my shotgun laying on the floor behind the front seat in my truck (extended cab) when I go bird hunting and have even had
rangers/sheriffs watch me do it with no problems. But with my OLL's, I keep them in the case, in the bed, with a lock on the case just because they are such a touchy subject.

iRIGHTi
03-17-2007, 1:34 PM
worth the watch for those who slept through civics class or didn't have the U & the Law program in school. i know...i'm kinda old so they probably don't have it in schools anymore. ;)

The Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

E Pluribus Unum
03-17-2007, 1:57 PM
This pole is lame.... you trying to get your post count up or something? :)

mltrading
03-17-2007, 4:38 PM
It's totally legal. We are good law-abiding citizens. Nothing to worry about.