PDA

View Full Version : T/C Encore frame assembled and sold as pistol?

Munk
01-12-2012, 1:56 PM
If I were to order a T/C Encore frame from out of state and have it sent to an FFL, then provide the FFL with the necessary barrel and grips to make it a pistol, would they be able to transfer the Encore to me as a complete pistol?

If so, Is this something only a manufacturer or smith can do, or can any FFL do it?

(This assumes a brand new frame being shipped from an out of state FFL; the barrel would also be sufficiently long to make it roster exempt).

Thanks

TheExpertish
01-12-2012, 2:40 PM
If I were to order a T/C Encore frame from out of state and have it sent to an FFL, then provide the FFL with the necessary barrel and grips to make it a pistol, would they be able to transfer the Encore to me as a complete pistol?

If so, Is this something only a manufacturer or smith can do, or can any FFL do it?

(This assumes a brand new frame being shipped from an out of state FFL; the barrel would also be sufficiently long to make it roster exempt).

Thanks
You can ship it complete under the Single Shot Exemption provided it has a barrel over 6". This is easy considering T/C guns are all single shot so all you need to cover is the barrel length requirement. If you still insist on doing things your way any FFL comfortable with putting one together is fine.

Munk
01-12-2012, 4:06 PM
You can ship it complete under the Single Shot Exemption provided it has a barrel over 6". This is easy considering T/C guns are all single shot so all you need to cover is the barrel length requirement. If you still insist on doing things your way any FFL comfortable with putting one together is fine.

Good to hear.

Two FFLs that I called were unwilling to do things the way I proposed. They said that they'd have to be manufacturers, or at least smiths to take a frame and DROS it as a pistol.

I don't want the frame to be a long gun, and the seller of the frame doesn't sell completed firearms (he specializes in the T/C's, so it makes little sense for him to do so), so that's why i'd need an FFL who could assemble it for me.

TheExpertish
01-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Good to hear.

Two FFLs that I called were unwilling to do things the way I proposed. They said that they'd have to be manufacturers, or at least smiths to take a frame and DROS it as a pistol.

I don't want the frame to be a long gun, and the seller of the frame doesn't sell completed firearms (he specializes in the T/C's, so it makes little sense for him to do so), so that's why i'd need an FFL who could assemble it for me.
I'm no expert on the T/C line-up yet, but I will be carrying them. I don't know if there is much if any difference in the pistol vs. long gun frame. I think the system is designed to be interchangeable so you may be making things more complicated with your "wants". I would keep calling around or email T/C to see what they recommend. Last resort you can wait 2 months and I can help you.

Munk
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm no expert on the T/C line-up yet, but I will be carrying them. I don't know if there is much if any difference in the pistol vs. long gun frame. I think the system is designed to be interchangeable so you may be making things more complicated with your "wants". I would keep calling around or email T/C to see what they recommend. Last resort you can wait 2 months and I can help you.

Considering the fact that this isn't an urgent issue for me, I'm just fact-finding right now, I just might wait those 2 months. I hope your prices are in-line with what i'm looking for, and that you're within driving distance.

Ideally I'm looking to get the Blued Encore Pro-hunter frame, with Pachmayr grip and fore-end with a .460 S&W braked barrel between 12 and 14 in. (don't care whether fluted, taper, or bull if the price is right.) I might hold off on the barrel for a while and get something cheaper to tide me over until I can save up for it. I also might kick in a little extra if an engraved or inlaid frame can be found.

The Encore part is important to me because it can handle the .460, whereas the Contender and G2 cannot.