PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted on rifle purchase...

GunMonkey
03-16-2007, 4:47 PM
I'm narrowing down my purchase decision for my first "real" rifle. I'd like some final input from the experts here before I pull the trigger. :)

Some data points:
1) This is strictly a target range gun
2) I want to be able to shoot multi-position with it. It's not just going to sit on a sand bag or bipod
3) I want to "eventually" get into long range type stuff. Most likely something like high power silhouette. But this gun does not have to be ready for it yet.
4) As I live very close to the Lincoln Rifle Club (NorCal by Sac.) and it's limited to 300yards, I figure .223 is just fine (I've heard that our to 400-500 there's not a huge difference between .223 and .308). Plus .223 is a little less expensive. I'm open to .308 (see 10FP below)
5) I know that I want a bolt action
6) I know I want a heavy barrel/gun

So, I've narrowed my choices down to the following rifles:

1) Savage 10FP McMillan with the detachable box mag. (yes they make this model according to the woman on the phone and in their catalog, but I'll be damned if I can find a dealer that knows anything about it)

Why? from what I've read, Savage makes an accurate as heck rifle out of the box, and the accutrigger is pretty sweet. The stock is amazing, and worth like $400 by itself! How this rifle can have a retail price of like $1,000 seems a bit amazing to me. I know that this rifle would be overkill for a noob, but what the hell, it seems like a really good deal. If I could only find someone that would take my money in trade for it!

2) Savage 12LRPV - Long Range Precision Varminter .223
Why? Seems like an amazing rifle, but again, good luck trying to find one! Also, it looks like the stock is the typical plastic stock on most Savages, and if I'm spending $1,000 on a rifle, I'd expect it to be made better than an pellet gun! I figure I could always get a better stock later, but then that pushes the price past most others.

3) Remington 700 SPS Varmint: For $600 retail, on paper, it seems to have a lot going for it.

4) Remington 700 VS SF II : I like the feel of the gun. It's got a good stock. It's supposed to be quite a rifle. It just seems a little over priced to me, and I keep reading how much better Savage is out of the box...

5) Remington XR-100 : This is kind of an outlier in the group. It's supposed to be fantastically accurate out of the box, and I really like thumb-hole stocks. The downside is it's a wood stock, and I'm worried about that a bit in terms of consistency, etc.

Right now my number one choice is #1, the Savage 10FP with the only strike against it is that it's .308 and I think that's overkill for now from a ammo $ point, recoil abuse, barrel wear, etc.

My close #2 is the XR-100, because I love the ergonomics of the stock. Just not the material.

So, can anyone tip me one way or another, or perhaps throw out another suggestion that they think would be more to my liking?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-16-2007, 4:56 PM
Remington 700P.
Or like you said Savage 10FP.
either in.308

pnkssbtz
03-16-2007, 5:01 PM
Doh, was going to recomend an AR 15, but I missed option #5... Bolt Gun...

Because an AR is the most modular weapon I can think of, you can easily change it for special purposes.

GunMonkey
03-16-2007, 5:04 PM
Remington 700P.
Or like you said Savage 10FP.
either in.308

Why would you recommend the 700P over the other 700's? What is it that makes it better?

Fjold
03-16-2007, 5:56 PM
The Remington's can perform with the best of them if you get them bedded and have a good trigger installed. A little handicap for Metallic Silhouette is that the Remington has a slower locktime (2.6 milliseconds) which gives you some time to wiggle off target.

The Savage is pillar bedded, has a much better trigger, a faster locktime (1.65 milliseconds) and is probably the best bang for the buck.

ocabj
03-16-2007, 5:57 PM
2) Savage 12LRPV - Long Range Precision Varminter .223
Why? Seems like an amazing rifle, but again, good luck trying to find one! Also, it looks like the stock is the typical plastic stock on most Savages, and if I'm spending $1,000 on a rifle, I'd expect it to be made better than an pellet gun! I figure I could always get a better stock later, but then that pushes the price past most others.

Read the specifications again. It's an HS Precision stock. You should probably look at one in person. The rifle is well worth the $1000 price tag. I've seen two of these at the club and it's an excellent rifle. I plan on getting one, except I don't want any of the cartridges it's available in so when I do get one, I'm doing an immediate rebarrel to 6mmBR.

dfletcher
03-16-2007, 6:02 PM
Savage makes a very accurate rifle, I have the 12BVSS in 300 WSM, and the AccuTrigger is very nice but I don't think it's outstanding. Once tuned the Remington and Ruger are every bit as good.

I think you should take a look at the Ruger 77 Target model. They have a very easily adjustable trigger and excellent accuracy. I have one and it shoots 1 hole @ 100 all day long. Just be aware that any bullets over about 65 grains won't group - at least they don't in mine - due to the relatively slow rate of twist.

CHIGGA73
03-16-2007, 6:09 PM
i've been looking at a bolt action as well. similar choices too.

the savage is at the top of my list as well.
ocabj...savage offers both stocks for the LE series 10FP
the Macmillan stock'd savage is @ $1000.
and the HS precision stock'd one is @ $875.

both will out perform me. they have the HS one in a shop here in so cal and it feels awesome!

good luck on the choice

rg_1111@yahoo.com
03-16-2007, 6:20 PM
Why would you recommend the 700P over the other 700's? What is it that makes it better?
Don't know if it's better,But one hole accuracy heavy barrel.

James R.
03-16-2007, 6:32 PM
Read the specifications again. It's an HS Precision stock. You should probably look at one in person. The rifle is well worth the $1000 price tag. I've seen two of these at the club and it's an excellent rifle. I plan on getting one, except I don't want any of the cartridges it's available in so when I do get one, I'm doing an immediate rebarrel to 6mmBR.

Was considering doing that very thing myself with a Remington action. 6mmBR seems to have a lot going for it. Sure it's not 6PPC but at least you can just order up 6mmBR brass and it's not as finicky about prep and the like and is damn accurate.

Regards,

James R.

ocabj
03-16-2007, 7:08 PM
ocabj...savage offers both stocks for the LE series 10FP
the Macmillan stock'd savage is @ $1000.
and the HS precision stock'd one is @ $875.

I was specifically referring to the 12 Long Range Precision Varminter model.

As far as the actual "10FP" model, I only know of the base stock, McMillan A-2, and the Choate.

I bought the 10FP back in 2003 with the base stock and replaced it with a McMillan A-5.

cactus
03-17-2007, 4:23 PM
Heres a possible solution, im a member in Lincoln and im there quite often with my remington 700 in 6mm. My Father in law is usually there with me with his savage 223. If you are interested ill e-mail you next time we go (usually on fridays) you try them out and then form your own opinion. Or go with the Remington theres more after market for future tweaks.

Mute
03-17-2007, 4:56 PM
If you're going to buy and keep the rifle stock get whichever seem to suit you best if you can try one out before you buy. If you have even an inkling that you might do some custom work on the rifle then get the Rem. 700. It has more parts and accessories available and more riflesmiths are familiar with this platform.

RANGER295
03-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I just bought the 10FP with the McMillan stock on it. That stock is actually an A-3 without an adjustable cheek rest not an A-2 as someone mentioned. The fore end is a little bigger on the A-2. I love this rifle. I think that out of the box it is much better than a 700. I have never seen one with a detachable mag but if you can find one great. I compared the HS stock to the McMillan and IMHO the McMillan is well worth the extra cash. One thought I have about this rifle is that it is very heavy. I am not very accurate with it unsupported due to the weight. If you want something for unsupported positions you may want to go with something like the 12FVSS which has a fluted barrel so is a little lighter. You would probably want to upgrade the stock if you went that rout.