PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please on Model 1 parts kits

24_minutes_to_1000
03-16-2007, 1:55 PM
Now that I have my OLL I'm looking to complete it. Having never built an AR I need advice/opinions on uppers and/or complete kits.

I'm interested in the Model 1 24" varmint kit with the 1-8" twist stainless E.R. Shaw barrel.

First off, how would you rate Shaw barrels? Crappy, average, better than average, great?

Secondly, assuming the barrels are decent, is $535 a decent price for a complete kit, less stripped lower?

Are there better kits available? Ideas other than those I've mentioned?

I need the wisdom of those who've gone before me.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

AJAX22
03-16-2007, 2:04 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on them. apparently most of them is ok, but you might want to run a bolt made by another company as they have a bad reputation for failure.

PIRATE14
03-16-2007, 2:09 PM
Here we go again............:rolleyes:

24_minutes_to_1000
03-16-2007, 2:17 PM
Sorry for being lazy and not using the search function.

Moderator, if you'd be so kind as to delete this thread, I'd appreciate it.

mltrading
03-16-2007, 2:21 PM
ER Shaw BBLs are good.

The performance-to-cost ratio of Model1 kits are pretty good.

If you are patient enough, you can do more research and find parts you really like. Don't limit yourself in some kind of "kit".

Best wishes to your build!!!:D

xenophobe
03-16-2007, 2:30 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8398/pic24bd0.jpg

bwiese
03-16-2007, 2:36 PM
Model 1 - ouch.

shinigami
03-16-2007, 3:31 PM
I've had no problems with my 24" E.R. Shaw "Tactical" Upper. Shoots really nice. I'm not sure about their 16" uppers, I'll have to find that out soon as I'm building another OLL using them. I like M1S, customer service is good (IMO).

I'm not a precision shooter, I shoot my rifles for fun so even if my groups are as big as a dinner plate @ 100 yrds. I'm still happy with that (although my upper is surprisingly accurate) :D

But in the end it's really up to you and what you're willing to spend.

hoffmang
03-16-2007, 3:57 PM
I don't care for my Model 1 upper - it is my beater. The barrel isnt' straight leaving my rear sight all the way to the right to get on paper.

LPKs are particularly bad. Please buy a STAG or RRA or somesuch on the LPK front.

-Gene

DJDace
03-16-2007, 4:35 PM
I've had no problems with my 24" E.R. Shaw "Tactical" Upper. Shoots really nice. I'm not sure about their 16" uppers, I'll have to find that out soon as I'm building another OLL using them. I like M1S, customer service is good (IMO).

I'm not a precision shooter, I shoot my rifles for fun so even if my groups are as big as a dinner plate @ 100 yrds. I'm still happy with that (although my upper is surprisingly accurate) :D

But in the end it's really up to you and what you're willing to spend.

The Model 1 24" Tactical Upper is everything I am looking for in an Upper for my AR project;

24" Fluted Barrel Chrome-moly Barrel (threaded)
Picatinny gasblock
YHM 4 rail forearm
National Match Chrome bolt & carrier

All for $820 - that just seems like a good price to me.

Or would a better option be to just get the Upper + Barrel and buy my own railed forearm and a separate Bolt/Carrier/Charging Handle?

I saw this Upper Assembly and got really excited because it looks like it's everything I wanted in an Upper, with all the options I wanted in an Upper. But if the more experienced AR-hounds here think that getting a separate Bolt/Carrier group and adding my own Rails separately will be better than I would appreciate the advice!