PDA

View Full Version : Taurus And Your Opinion Counts!!

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
As a owner of a Gun Store in Orlando florida I sell between 5-10 taurus guns a week. Everyone that is not to up to date with handguns always tells me that they hate taurus. In my opinion going with a taurus is 20X better than going with a glock. Taurus has the craftmens lifetime warranty, and can be returned at anytime for any reason. I figure that i am talking with some gun maniacs so i just want to get your opinion on the taurus. All opinions are looked at in a good way and could be a opinion i can tell to one of my customers. Please don't be shy, POST YOUR OPINION!

rssslvr
03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
My wife has a taurus millenium 9mm that her father gave her and it is a pretty good gun.I have shot it more than she has and I have never had any problems with it.

Stanze
03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
As a owner of a Gun Store in Orlando florida I sell between 5-10 taurus guns a week. Everyone that is not to up to date with handguns always tells me that they hate taurus. In my opinion going with a taurus is 20X better than going with a glock. SIZE][/COLOR]

The only Taurus experience I had personally was negative. A PT-22, jam-o-matic with every type of ammo I tried. The tip-up barrel pin broke after owning the gun for a few weeks, it was sent back to the factory and took longer to repair than I had owned the gun and to suffer through the waiting period. When I got it back, it still jammed. I demanded a refund and got it.

I've heard more favorable stories, but mine wasn't.

Saying Taurus is better than GLOCK(I've had nothing but good things with my GLOCK experience starting in 1993) is fighting words.;)

SnWnMe
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
My first revolver was a Taurus. It failed on the first range trip.

That was my last Taurus.

Black Majik
03-16-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't really have any desire to own a Taurus pistol. Nothing they've produced have really fit my needs or wants.

The only thing close to what'd I'd want would be the PT1911, because it's a 1911. But not for the price it's going for, I can't imagine spending $500+ on a Taurus, especially when there are other excellent 1911 makers in the industry.

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
wow thats amazing.... hmm.... thats very interesting.... even the revolver went wrong? I'v only heard about a couple bad things...

Corbin Dallas
03-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Never owned one, but some guy at the local range had a real pretty chromed 9mm that would only fire about every 3 or 4 then jam.

I'll stick with my plastic glocks.

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
jamming, never really a issue here for some reason. I do agree, the glock is a never jamming gun but WOW people are different here in florida with taurus... I GUESS WE ARE SOME CHEAP HILLBILLY'S... LOL

Stanze
03-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Forgot to mention that I would of liked to of checked out the Taurus PT1911 due to it's "Bang for the buck" factor, but Taurus didn't lift a finger to submit the gun to be certified for sale in CA before the 1/1/2007 deadline because it "sells like hotcakes" in Free(er) America.

That kind of attitude towards CA is pretty telling. Now, I'm leaning towards the S&W M1911A1, or the offerings by Springfield and Kimber.

SnWnMe
03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Actually, it will be nice if not one single gun maker or ammo maker sold anything in the state of Kalifornia period. Most of us have enough toys to weather this.

Bring Kalifornia law enforcement to its knees and get the attention of the lawmakers. There's one way to inject some sense into our "representatives".

mike452
03-16-2007, 12:42 PM
My friend brings his PT92 and 627 to the range every time. No problems!

I wouldn’t say they are better than anything. My S&W 627 is 5x better than the Taurus 627 in terms of feel and quality. I didn’t feel any difference between the PT92 and the 92FS.

Lifetime warranties are necessary to compete in the market. If you have to use it, it is not a good gun. The Sig GSR is a great example.

maxicon
03-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I've got a Taurus 607 .357 revolver that I bought used recently, and it's been a good shooter, though I've only put a few hundred rounds through it.

It's a big mother, and has been very accurate and reliable. The SA trigger is decent, the DA trigger is heavy and a bit gritty. The bluing is deep, dark, and beautiful.

So far, it's been a great gun for the money.

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
This is usually what i here in florida. Not many people have problems with them. That is why i'm trying to hear the bad stuff. So far this is a beautiful post and i'm very pleased. KEEP POSTIN! ROCK ON!

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
What about the child safety lock on these weapons. I think taurus has to wholeshot here.

DV8
03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Actually, it will be nice if not one single gun maker or ammo maker sold anything in the state of Kalifornia period. Most of us have enough toys to weather this.

Bring Kalifornia law enforcement to its knees and get the attention of the lawmakers. There's one way to inject some sense into our "representatives".

Hey hey, speak for yourself buddy. I still have a ways to go on my want list! Just stop selling to CA LEOs and state agencies, we regular law abiding joes (did someone say "gun nuts"?) arent the problem here (well the non-voting gun nuts are).

Back on topic, a guy I knew had a PT92 and it jammed a lot too. Traded it for a springfield trophy match, problem solved.

guimus
03-16-2007, 12:55 PM
I've fired half a dozen different taurus revolvers with no problems. Not particularly amazing, either. I wouldn't buy a Taurus autoloader, but that's largely because I'm not really into auto's. I only own one and it's a Sig, so why bother with the Taurus.

Regarding the warranty, I think that Craftsman is an good comparison. Most of their stuff is fine, but sometimes it will break. When it does break, they'll fix it. It's not a Dewalt or a Snap-On (Sig or HK?), it's a Crasftsman. Don't expect flawless performance for 1/3 the price of the high-end.

Knauga
03-16-2007, 1:02 PM
From what I understand Taurus is either a great gun or the biggest piece of crap you've ever held in your hand and it can vary gun to gun, model to model.

I had a Taurus 357 6" stainless. It was an awesome gun, I really regret parting with it.

thedrickel
03-16-2007, 1:22 PM
Got a taurus revolver in 357, no problems with it whatsoever. I like it a lot and would definitely buy more taurus revolvers, but I don't know about the semi's.

mike452
03-16-2007, 1:33 PM

Wishful thinking! If I was Amish, I would ban all imported petroleum so we will start making cars that run on water. What I really want is to ban all vehicles larger than mine from the 210 fwy. :D

fairfaxjim
03-16-2007, 2:11 PM
I have a Taurus 605 SS .357 w/2" barrel. It shoots fine for what it is, and was just over half the price of a similar sized S&W. I don't shoot the little booger that often, but it suits my needs.

Rob454
03-16-2007, 4:33 PM
I have a 44 mag in 6 inch stainless steel. it shoots perfectly. I adjusted the sights ( rear) and I can hit the center every time at 25-30 yards. Its no home defense weapon but it will put down a charging boar. ( reason I got it) last tiem I went boar hunting he rushed me and I ended up pulling out my 9mm and it took more than 4 shots to bring it down.
I think its a well made weapon. Shoots straight and it cost abotu 1/2 of what a comparable S&W costs. I have no problem with it. my dad has a Taurus beretta copy cat and that thing will shoot jsut about any 9mm I feed it from Wolf to Winchester. I would have absolutely no problem getting a taurus again. The lifetime warranty is a good thing also. if it ever breaks they will fix it. Thats a good thing IMO
Rob

theholsterstorecom
03-16-2007, 5:16 PM
you are right about one thing. NOT a hone defense weapon. The chances of them jamming are way more significant than to a s&W revolver. Another good point is i believe they are to big to carry on your persons, as they seem to be bulky. These guns to me are more of a go have fun shoot a few couple rounds here and there, maybe be a first gun to your kid cheapo gun. The wolf ammo is actually i believe the best ammo you could put in the taurus, the gun just loves it.

asintado
03-16-2007, 6:17 PM
Their revolvers are pretty good but their semi-autos are okay. The revos are great HD guns where as the semi-autos are cool for the range but I wouln't bet my safety on them.

redneckshootist
03-16-2007, 6:32 PM
I've got two taurus revolvers a 627 tracker in .357, good gun and acurate has a ported barrel so theres almost no felt recoil
the gaucho in 45colt good gun nice trigger and fast and loves the black powder load I put in it

I also have a pt140 ok gun, most of my friends dont like the recoil mabey cause its so small it is a little snappy, the trigger is one of the worst triggers very heavy, I use to have problems with the safty on the gun so I removed it cause with a trigger that heavy who needs it:rolleyes: but the gun has never jammed and will shoot acurately once you get use to the crappy sights

I will never buy another semi-auto taurus again, but the revolvers rock

LECTRIKHED
03-16-2007, 6:57 PM
Over 1000 rounds through my .357 taurus tracker. Flawless.

l0kster
03-16-2007, 7:01 PM
good value for the money.

have shot both Taurus revolvers and autos, no jams, lifetime warranty.

not as "smooth" as more expensive competitors but decent performers.

ImOverHere
03-16-2007, 7:09 PM
FWIW, I've owned three: A PT99, the 4" titanium .357mag Tracker (627?), and a 2" titanium .357mag (607?). (Sorry, I forget the model numbers.)

Although I've since sold the PT99, I liked it a lot and believe it to be quite accurate. But it was heavy and I prefer other autoloaders in that caliber. I did have to return it to FL once as it locked up out of battery (after hundreds of rds through it). After being returned, no other problems.

I love my titanium revolvers and they'll be among the last handguns I'd ever wish to sell. OTOH, I did have to return the 4" Tracker recently as - after letting a stranger shoot it - I went to pick it up and the cylinder fell out of the frame! But that was after probably hundreds and hundreds of magnum rds put through it.

Personally, I wish Taurus had more revolvers - like the lightweights with concealed or shrouded hammers - on the KA "list" - I'd buy more. Although I have S&W revolvers as well, I think Taurus' are underrated.

NRAhighpowershooter
03-16-2007, 7:46 PM
I got to fire the Tarus version of the Baretta 92SF about 9yrs ago... didn't jam on me.. it was ok... ratteled more than my SA Inc 1911A1 though.. decent accuracy out to 20 yds.. but opened up after that with 124gr FMJ's... My M9 doesn't rattle and has acceptable accuray out to 50yds with 147gr ammo...

magsnubby
03-16-2007, 9:35 PM

I don't think so. Lots of us still want lots more toys.

It would never happen. The market for guns, ammo and accessories in California is huge. They would loose millions of dollars.

glockk9mm
03-16-2007, 9:49 PM
Taurus 608 8 shot here! No problems at all.

Franksremote
03-16-2007, 9:49 PM
Had a barrel snap in half while at the range with a PT-92 once. They replaced it, but it's been a safe queen ever since.

magsnubby
03-16-2007, 9:57 PM
I have several Taurus handguns. An 85, 605, 606 and PT111 9mm. I had a 94 (22 LR) butsold it because the D/A trigger pull was gritty and heavy, The 'smith said he could maybe smooth it up a bit but he really couldn't do anything about the weight because he couldn't guarantee it would have reliable ignition.

The PT111 is a small, light little gun. Trigger pull is kind of heavy but it's nothing that can't be managed with a little practice. Can't really say about it'a durability, but it's been 100% reliable through 1,000 rounds of various factory rounds, both hardball, HP's, and handloads. It's a neat little gun.

The 85 and 605 have been through about 1,000 rounds each and atleast 1,000 dry fires each. Triggers have smoothed up quit a bit. No problems with either gun. The 85 wears a pair of old style wood bannana grips (like the S&W J frame), The 605 wears Pachmayrs.

The 606 (2", 6 shot, ported .357) is one of my favorite snubbies. It's had an action job, bobbed hammer, and was converted to D/A only and wears Hogue grips. It probably has 5,000 rounds of mostly .357's through it. It's about the same size and weight as a Ruger SP101 (a fantastic little snubby), It's a great shooter. It's on my short list of keepers.

I realize none of these guns have alot of rounds through them, but i wouldn't hesitate to grab any of them if the need ever arose. And yes, i own other handguns including S&W, Glock, Springfield, Ruger and various other others.

oghl888
03-16-2007, 10:14 PM
The PT92 was one of the first 3 guns I purchase back in 93. It's been flawless and accurate for me. The short trigger reset and crisp breaking point make it one of the easiest gun to shoot fast and accurately for me.

GW
03-16-2007, 11:02 PM
I've owned a model 85 for 16 years. Over 1000 rounds fired with no problems whatsoever.
Just bought a used PT145 and I have only put a couple hundred rounds through it. So far, it's been fine.
I think Taurus is great value YMMV but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
In fact I have another in my sights ! :D

SnWnMe
03-17-2007, 2:44 AM
It would never happen. The market for guns, ammo and accessories in California is huge. They would loose millions of dollars.

That's why I said it would be nice.

randy
03-17-2007, 2:53 AM
At the range where I work Taurus are a hi fail item. They won't run them in the rental fleet because the cost of shipping them in for repair.

Their QC dept is in the return for repair line.

Many BRAND NEW gunsd fail on the first trip to the range or they just run poorly.

Too many bad for me to take a chance on.

I'll play the lotto and I think I'd have a better chance of winning than getting a good Taurus.

Some people do like them but they use them for cod weights when they go fishing.

theholsterstorecom
03-17-2007, 5:36 AM
The cost of repair I believe isn't really that much, i just sent of a taurus 92 and it was really just some chump change. They dont have a outrageous fee for fixing the gun, considering how much it is for a gun smith...... 300 bucks you got a gun. 2 weeks later it breaks? send it in 335 brand new gun again..... Do you REALLY need a taurus everyday of the week? OR is it the principal?

2ma2
03-17-2007, 7:49 AM
PT 92 with 0 problems, Is my home def. choice due to reliability and only average accuracy. Will do the job but not a target grade pistol

Long Gun
03-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I had a blued 94 22lr. It too had a sticky double action pull. I paid one way shipping to Florida, and it was returned no charge after that. It shot great after that. I actually loved that gun, until it was stolen. I want to replace it one day. I always wanted a Ruger Mk II, but unless I buy both, I'll take the revolver as it can eat any .22 fodder. Shooting shorts from it was a kick.

Maddog5150
03-18-2007, 12:10 AM
I have owned two taurus handguns and both were junk. First one was a pt145 with failure to fire. The firing pin would strike the primer but not hard enough to ignite it over half the time. I tried several different types of ammo but still no luck. When I did send it in for repair I got the universal "your problem is reloaded ammo" anser :rolleyes: I sold it AND told the buyer the problem I was having. This was a couble of years back but recently I talked to a customer who had the same exact problem with his pt145 who bought brand new.
The second was a revolver. I thought, "hey, you cant screw up a revolver right?" Boy was I wrong. After two shooting session on this .357, the timing went off. It sent shards of copper jacket into my face and arm as well as hit my buddy next to me. My face was bloody that day. I sent that back and after about five weeks I get it back with a note that states "your problem is reloaded ammo, do not use reloaded ammo with this firearm" :rolleyes: They mentioned that they did tighten up something so when I took it to the range, I was shooting with my hand shielding my face :p
Ive had more taurus firearms including revolvers get sent back for repair than any other hand gun the little shop I work at sells. I think in the three years I worked there we never had a single glock, HK, or sig go back or ANY S&W revolver. (had to order replacement parts for an hk but thats a funny story all together and not the guns fault :D )

theholsterstorecom
03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Wow thats no funny story, thats a story needed to be sent to taurus. Shards in your face? No WAY would i own another taurus if i was you. Well hope you was ok.

03-18-2007, 2:18 PM
I've had more bad luck with Taurus than good, I wrote them off a few years ago. Not a big deal, they seem to have written off those of us in California anyway as most of their models never make it to us. I'll try hard to not support anyone who doesn't support me.

That wonderful warranty gives me a bit of heartburn as well since the one time I used it they failed miserably in anything that could come close to being considered customer service. Two trips to Taurus (paid for by me) and the gun still had the original problem, it now lives elsewhere.

20X better than a Glock? If any gunshop owner I knew held that opinion I'd have a very hard time listening to his opinion on anything as he obviously has no clue about firearms. I'm in no way a Glock Kool-Aid drinker but their customer service is legendary.

theholsterstorecom
03-18-2007, 3:39 PM
20X better than a Glock? If any gunshop owner I knew held that opinion I'd have a very hard time listening to his opinion on anything as he obviously has no clue about firearms. I'm in no way a Glock Kool-Aid drinker but their customer service is legendary.

This is why i'm having this poll. To tell customers my opinion by getting the customers opinion.

bwiese
03-18-2007, 3:51 PM

Unfortunately - just like we found FFL intermediaries to bring in OLL receivers when mfgrs & 'normal' FFLs wouldn't - even if all gun + ammo mfgrs blocked sales to CA, including for LEOs, special companies would be set up to acquire and then sell to CA LEO agencies.

Also, many many guns are sold via distribution channel and not direct sales.

In fact the recent CHP dustup about bid fariness, etc. for purchase of new replacement S&W .40cal autoloaders invovled, IIRC, dealing with a special CA distributor, not S&W directly.

Groups of mfgrs and/or distributors colluding to not sell guns into CA could be regarded - aside from progun vs antigun sentiments - as unfair market-warping trade policies violating FTC laws/regs.

[Some of you might remember - just a couple of years ago - when a gaggle of San Jose car dealers became irate at an San Jose Mercury News series of articles about purported underhanded practices of car dealers. The dealers all agreed to withhold advertising dollars from SJ Merc paper and redirect them into radio + TV ads, etc. - anything but the Merc. The Merc suffered quite a bit, sued, and the resulting verdict was that the car dealers were colluding in an anticompetetive fashion. While they may have had a right to protest the Merc's coverage by individually pulling their ads, when they all coordinated their ad pulls that resulted in market-changing collusion in violation of fair trade laws.]

03-18-2007, 4:06 PM
Absolutely TheHolster... a very good idea, I wish more shop owners would do this.

Turbinator
03-18-2007, 4:38 PM
Adding my opinion here - experience with Taurus PT99AF's, not bad at all - fit and finish are slightly under Beretta's standards, but overall the guns perform and handle just like a Beretta (location of safety and decocker being a primary difference).

No other specific problems to note. I would buy one just as soon as I would buy any other brand firearm, provided the price is right, which is how I basically shop for anything else anyway.

Turby

bwiese
03-18-2007, 5:37 PM
The Taurii I have seen are OK guns.

The PT92s don't seem to have the fit/finish of Beretta 92s, and I think someone may have used Comet for trigger lube.

The Taurus clones of S&W wheelguns seem to be "OK" but without the the fine refinements in fit & finish that S&W has.

I know the Taurus 24/7 autoloaders have had frame cracking problems.

Taurus appears to tout their "lifetime warranty" because they need to - even though most other gun co's will fix a broken gun for a very minor fee (if that).

But both S&W and Ruger are legendary at treating folks nicely for nonabused guns that have issues - even if they're out of warranty, etc. These latter folks don't tout their behaviors as warranties simply because they don't wanna get tied up in legal mumbo-jumbo of Magnusson-Moss act, etc. but they treat customers fairly if their guns have problems.

The new Taurus 'Gaucho' single action does look promising.

However all in all I think you are better purchasing a nice used S&W wheelgun than a new Taurus, or getting (say) a used Glock or a new Ruger P89 or P90 instead of a Taurus autoloader.

WINGEDSWORD
03-18-2007, 6:16 PM
Taurus wouldn't be my among my top choices (Colt,S&W,Ruger) but they make decent quality guns. A friend of mine has a PT92 that he loves and I was given an 85, that shoots quite well for a snub gun and has never failed to function. I would like to see one of their 1911's. I wouldn't buy one, however,as I already have 6 Colts in my safe!

Maddog5150
03-18-2007, 7:18 PM
Wow thats no funny story, thats a story needed to be sent to taurus. Shards in your face? No WAY would i own another taurus if i was you. Well hope you was ok.

Heh, well let me tell you more of the story and you might chuckle. I think its funny now that its all over and I didnt lose and eye and didnt get any permenant scarring. I was laying on the ground (out in the boonies probably not where we were supposed to shoot) and aiming at a target about seventy to eighty yards away and the shot go freaking wild like no other. In fact the grouping was probably about ten feet where with my HK I was making shots on this bucket. I feel this stinging on my face and I thought, "hey, theres alot of crap all over the floor, its probably just getting kicked back at me." all along there is this little feeling in my head telling me, "hey retard, stop shooting!" I look up to my buddies and ask where my shots are hitting because this thing is acting wierd. All of their faces go white and tell me to check my face as right there I feel moisture down my cheek. I touch and there is blood. I stand up and say, "its this damn debris on the floor, let me try again standing." My buddies yell for me to stand a head just in case. One is telling me to put the gun down and this feeling in my head is still telling me to stop shooting. I raise the gun, shoot, then feel pain as pieces of jacket go into my face and arm, not to mention my buddies wrist thats about ten feet or so to my left. So I go to the truck mirror, pick out the shards with my cold steel and wonder around with my face still bleeding. My other buddy realizes about ten minutes later that he forgot the clay pigeons and had one of those launchers that looks like a massive wrist rocket with a metal lever attatched. He is standing exactly nine o clock to me and facing the same direction as he picks up a shotgun shell, puts it in the launcher and tries to make it fly forward. I see something black approach my face, here the louded thug I ever heard and see a flash of white which knocks off my glasses....
So we are riding back from shooting as I tell the guys, "you know, if a cop stops us with all these guns in the back, im going to start sobbing like a ***** and thank him for saving me as my face is bloody and have a black eye." They didnt think that was so funny.

No but I told taurus that. Well the short version, didnt want them reading the long version LOL. Their response was, "your problem is reloaded ammo, do not use reloaded ammo with this firearm." I had a customer who had a similar problem with his 329 S&W Scandium 44 mag. The little piece of steel up the cylinder that prevents flame cutting into the scandium gave him a single bleeder. Just one. He called them up and they went through hell and high water to make sure he was ok, to take care of him, and to make sure he was a returning customer. I can tell you Taurus didnt give to ****s. Just dont use reloaded ammo :rolleyes:
P.S. wasnt using reloaded ammo :p

Quiet
03-18-2007, 8:16 PM
Taurus started off making clones of Beretta handguns and S&W revolvers.

Most of the early stuff was sub-standard.

However, their newer stuff is pretty decent. Kinda compareable to Rugers. :p

theholsterstorecom
03-19-2007, 6:49 AM
i totally agree with that. they are posing, but the new ones are getting thier own name now i believe

deez
03-19-2007, 1:16 PM
I obtained a used PT99 (old style with safety on the slide) in a package deal, with the intent of selling it later (I am not a Taurus fan).

To my surprise, it was better than I expected. Fit and finish are lacking, but it goes bang everytime. I ended up keeping it after all.

I still wouldn't buy one new though, but that's just me (I never buy American cars either).

mark3lb
03-19-2007, 3:38 PM
I have a Taurus Pro 24-7 and love it. No jams or ftf. Fast shooter

gunrun45
03-19-2007, 9:33 PM
I own a 92 clone and a 22 revolver from them. I also recently purchased one of their guacho revolvers and a lightning like rifle. I have never had any problems with any of their products. The 92 clone got a clark trigger upgrade and pollished frame rails a few years ago just o make me feel "cooler" for the most part. I always liked the older Berretta design with the ability to carry "cocked and locked" better anyway.

blackrifle
03-20-2007, 3:30 AM
Of the Taurus's that I've shot and examined, I was less than impressed. Taurus, IMO, doesn't offer value due to their lack of quality, they're just (for the most part), inexpensive. The newer stuff seems better but I would rather spend a few more dollar and get a better quality pistol consider the price gap is much smaller nowadays...

...and while I'm no longer a huge fan on Glock, I'd take a Glock over any Taurus any day of the week...and I'd take a Steyr M40A1 over any Glock, USP or any other plastic wunder-pistol any day of the week.

But if I had to pick ONE pistol, it would be, without question, a Colt 1911. It only took me about 20 years (and going through a boatload of other pistols) to finally come to grips that John M. Browning is indeed God's gunsmith.

CowtownBallin
06-16-2008, 4:53 PM
My Taurus Tracker M627 is better than my S&W 686-3 that it's based on. Go figure.

hitmeallday900
06-16-2008, 4:59 PM
i own a taurus 2" 357
shot 40 rds of 38 spl thus far no problems and great accuracy

InvictusManeo
06-16-2008, 6:04 PM
The only Taurus guns I've shot were a few different pt92s as range rentals. I have never had a jam with any of them, and found them pointable, FAR more accurate than the shooter (me), and an overall pleasure to shoot.

I know judging reliability on a gun you don't personally own and maintain is shady, but to give some perspective, the Glocks and Sigs (other than one 226 that I was the first ever to shoot) that I have rented at that same range ALL jammed several times in the 50 rounds through each.

eta - the finish isn't half as good as the Beretta equivalent, but I won't be buying a pistol to look pretty. For the same performance at a few hundred dollars less expensive, I'll take a minor hit on the cosmetics.

cj1026
06-16-2008, 6:31 PM
I have a Taurus PT111 and a Tracker .44 mag. I have had zero problems. I can't hit much with the PT, but then again its smaller than my hand. The Tracker is pretty accurate to my surprise. Taurus isn't the best out there, but I think for the money they are pretty good.

jazman
06-16-2008, 7:07 PM
I had a Taurus snubby wheel gun for years, good weapon. I sold it to my BIL, kind of wish I hadn't. In an auto, Glock is FAR superior in my experience.

sigs229
06-17-2008, 3:02 AM
i had a pt25. when it was new that thing jammed after the first few rounds. after some home tinkering with a little filing and polishing on the feed ramp, no problems. i would say taurus is a a little rough around the edges, but it's a decent gun for the money. i would pick glock over taurus any day.

randy
06-17-2008, 4:28 AM
junk

A'sDad
06-17-2008, 5:43 AM
I am a North California Taurus fan. Had PT-111 for 5 years, never a jam, always a bang. Shoots right where you aim it.
Cousin has the model 62C, 22lr pump action carbine, one slick shooting little gun. Solid shooter and way high on the fun meter.
Had the model 94 2" 22 revolver, nice gun, sold to fellow Calgunner to purchase future 941 22mag relvolver. On the way.. model 72 carbine, Taurus' pump action 22mag carbine.
I used to carry the Beretta 92 and I love to shoot the Glock 22, but Taurus gets good marks from this camp.

Mize
06-17-2008, 1:00 PM
A know a couple friends that have Taurus revolvers; I don't know the model numbers. I've shot my friends on several range trips and it has never had a problem. They seem okay, but I would save a little more for a S&W or even a ruger before I bought one. My S&W 66 has spoiled me over the years, and has made me a fan of S&W revolvers.

Bobshouse
06-17-2008, 1:54 PM
The quality just isn't there with Taurus. I've sold a few but don't recommend them to my customers. A few years back a customer happened to order a Taurus .38 special revolver, when we received it I compaired it to the S&W 36 (also a .38 revolver) that I carry. The Taurus felt like it was made of pot metal. Cocking was rough at best and the trigger....well lets just say it was "rough".

tpuig
06-17-2008, 2:17 PM
I have an early 9mm, with the euro style mag release. Bought in the early 80's. No problems whatsoever, and it's a great shooter. I also have a Mod 85 stainless .38, and it's a great gun too. No problems. My S&W has a nicer fit and finish, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Taurus again.

Rob454
06-17-2008, 2:19 PM
you are right about one thing. NOT a hone defense weapon. The chances of them jamming are way more significant than to a s&W revolver. Another good point is i believe they are to big to carry on your persons, as they seem to be bulky. These guns to me are more of a go have fun shoot a few couple rounds here and there, maybe be a first gun to your kid cheapo gun. The wolf ammo is actually i believe the best ammo you could put in the taurus, the gun just loves it.

I really meant the power of the 44 mag round not being a good home defense round. The gun is way too big and heavy/bulky to swing around freely and Im not a weak guy. I can hold and shoot it one handed but I woudlnt use it as my primary weapon. it woudl be good to scare the crap out of someone if I point it at them. it never jamed ( granted I havent shot a ton of rounds out of it) it never misfired or done anything hoakey. for the price I couldnt pass it up. It may not be the best revolver out there but I shot my buddys 44 and his has a lot more recoil which I contribute to the weight of his gun. Its really really light. Nice to shoot but hard on the hands. not sure what model it is but it weighs easily 1/2 of what mine weighs. Looks to be some light metal titaium or unobtanium:D

thomasanelson
06-17-2008, 3:27 PM
I have 3 Taurus Milleniums. I like them all and think the PT145 is a great CCW gun. I did have one problem with a PT140, but Taurus fixed it and I have not had an issue since. For the price, I think they are great. All things being considered I would not steer someone away from Taurus, but if I were to suggest a gun to someone who only planned on buying one (or very few) it would not be a Taurus. If someone was on an extreme budget, then heck yes.

Moonclip
06-17-2008, 5:52 PM
I own/owned quite a few of them. Some were crap, some were ok, some were superb. My dad bought a Taurus .44spl 3" mod431 from a calgunner and it an extremely accurate and excellent weapon.

Pugster
06-17-2008, 6:07 PM
I hear a lot of mixed opinions about Taurus on their autoloaders/revolvers. I may get their PT92 in the future but it's pretty low on my list.

fairfaxjim
06-17-2008, 7:24 PM
I own/owned quite a few of them. Some were crap, some were ok, some were superb. My dad bought a Taurus .44spl 3" mod431 from a calgunner and it an extremely accurate and excellent weapon.

That pretty much seems to describe Taurus - quality all over the map. If you NEED, or want, a dependable firearm, Taurus should not be your goto gun. If you want to buy one, you need to handle, test, inspect, and hopefully fire, THE ONE you are going to buy. If it passes your muster, then go for it. If you don't want to have to do all that, get an S&W, or a Sig, a Glock, a Bereta, a SA, even a Ruger, and have confidence in your firearm. The time you save will probably offset the higher cost.

Having said that, I have a 2" Stainless M605 that I got a great deal on. It shoots just fine. Would I bet my life on it, no, but it is fun to shoot.

ojisan
06-17-2008, 9:41 PM
I have an early PT92AF Stainless. Finish is very good to xlnt. Purchased it used with lots of rounds through it already. Shot it a bunch myself, 1000+ rounds, then the locking block under the barrel cracked off at one side. Mailed the broken block to Taurus and got a new updated type free. In it went and bang bang bang she goes. Reliable as a hammer ever since, 3,000 + rounds of my own reloads through it at least. Trigger is nice and I love the three way frame mount safety decocker. I got 2nd place in my first pistol speed shoot competiton event with it. Used a VW to beat the Porches! Home defense is first a revolver (also for the wife to use), then to the PT92 I reach. Hi cap Eagle flush fit 18 round mag + 1 in chamber = 9x19 : )

Sobriquet
06-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Am I the only one wondering why a dealer from Central Florida cares about what a bunch of Californians think?

Moonclip
06-18-2008, 9:15 AM
That pretty much seems to describe Taurus - quality all over the map. If you NEED, or want, a dependable firearm, Taurus should not be your goto gun. If you want to buy one, you need to handle, test, inspect, and hopefully fire, THE ONE you are going to buy. If it passes your muster, then go for it. If you don't want to have to do all that, get an S&W, or a Sig, a Glock, a Bereta, a SA, even a Ruger, and have confidence in your firearm. The time you save will probably offset the higher cost.

This also seems to apply to Spanish brands and to Charter Arms.

maxicon
06-18-2008, 9:44 AM
Necrothread rises again!

I probably said this before, but my 2 Tauruses are decent, if not great. One's a Model 94 9 shot .22 revolver that's a fun shooter, but not super accurate, and lockup varies with the chamber. The other's a 607 7 shot .357 magnum with ported barrel, and it's very accurate and solid, if a bit rough in the trigger. They're both fun shooters, but not my only revolver in their respective category.

Nothing wrong with a Taurus, but I wouldn't get one as my first or main gun.

rue
06-22-2008, 9:47 PM
No thanks I don't care for them nor do I own one. If I want a wheel gun my money is staying in America and if I want a auto I'm getting the AK of auto's (glock)

FullMetalJacket
06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I have a Taurus M44 .44 Magnum revolver. It seems solid and well-made and shoots pretty well. It does have a long double-action pull and, if one isn't careful to let the trigger return all the way to starting position (like during rapid fire), the gun will not fire when the hammer falls on the next round.

That isn't a big deal for me, but since my experience isn't perfect, I'd have to rate it "Okay."

scottmandue
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Taurus 608 8 shot here! No problems at all.

I'm thinking that might be my next gun (that is why I dropped in on this thread)... still debating over the .357 vs .44 vs .454 cal.

I'm pretty sure a .357 will be cheaper to buy and shoot.

randy
09-26-2008, 11:47 PM
25% exceptional

30% dont care for them

45% ok

I wouldn't buy a gun that is just ok and I wouldn't buy a gun that is junk 75% sort of disaproval.

stag6.8
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
As a owner of a Gun Store in Orlando florida I sell between 5-10 taurus guns a week. Everyone that is not to up to date with handguns always tells me that they hate taurus. In my opinion going with a taurus is 20X better than going with a glock. Taurus has the craftmens lifetime warranty, and can be returned at anytime for any reason. I figure that i am talking with some gun maniacs so i just want to get your opinion on the taurus. All opinions are looked at in a good way and could be a opinion i can tell to one of my customers. Please don't be shy, POST YOUR OPINION!

I think the taurus pt-92 and 99 are good well built guns. I purchased two of them in 2003 and had no problems what so ever....If I could purchase a PT-917 in kali I buy it in a heartbeat

BillCA
09-27-2008, 1:12 AM
The only Taurus I bought was a model 731 ported snubby in .32 H&R mag and that was sort of on a lark.

Within the first 50 rounds I had one FTF and noted a light primer strike. Reset the cylinder and bang! Happened once more around 70 rounds and was then forever reliable. I chalked it up to a breakin issue.

I've known others who've had good and bad experiences with both wheelguns and bottom feeders. Perhaps it depends on how hard the Taurus workers partied over the weekend and Monday guns are hit & miss. :p

The usual selling point for Taurus guns is low initial investment. You can get a decent brand-new .38 or .357 for a lower price than even some used S&W's.

I seldom see very active shooters who fire 500+ rounds a month shooting a Taurus. I've never seen any CCW instructor teach a class while wearing a Taurus.

Where I see the Taurus customer is someone who buys a gun for home protection or perhaps CCW. In either case, the gun is purchased, between 50 and 200 rounds fired and then it resides in a nightstand or CCW holster for years, perhaps seeing a whopping 100 rounds a year.

While I'll agree with BWeise that you can often get a better used S&W, there are many people who simply want a new gun with a factory warranty or will not trust a used gun.

If your demands for a gun are modest and the gun works fine for 200 rounds, a Taurus can be a cost effective solution as a first or only gun. If you buy your range ammo by the case every month, you probably won't be as happy with a Taurus.

In places like Missouri, however, I did talk to a number of people who bought a Taurus .38 or 9mm to have while working around larger parcels of property. It made sense for these to be "truck" guns or "chore" guns because few people care if they get a "little worn lookin'".

That's my $0.02.

savasyn
09-27-2008, 9:05 AM
I've had a .38 snubby M85 for a number of years. As stated by BillCA above, I haven't put more than a few hundred rounds through it, but it has been flawless right from the start. The DA pull is decent with a slight hesitation right before the break, but not too bad. The SA release, however, is really nice, at least as nice as my S&Ws. I also find the M85 to be more accurate than my S&W 640.

Bottom line is that I've been very happy with it and as such I'm seriously considering a .44mag Raging Bull over the S&W options.

Beelzy
09-27-2008, 9:09 AM
Taurus is what one has to buy before he can scrape up enough cash for
a S&W.

Taurus is a gun that lives up to its name IMO........Bull.

jcruzer619
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
I only have one Taurus (PT99) in the collection, but it also hapens to be the most most dependable and accurate 9mm I've owned. The others are long gone. I'm considering one of their wheel guns and would recomend Taurus firearms to others.

South Paw
10-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Iv hade a used PT99 for a few years now.Shoots great.Id buy another.

tankerman
10-18-2008, 1:05 PM
I think their (Taurus)revolvers are the ugliest thing going, right up there with Ruger DA's.

If pimps were into revolvers, they would carry a Taurus.

Doheny
10-18-2008, 1:12 PM
I have a PT145 that's been to the shop in FL three times. The third time I was at the SHOT show in Vegas and stopped into the Taurus booth and met the VP of Cust Service (I think that was his title.) I explained my problems and he had me send it to his attention in FL (he paid for shipping.) It came back working great and I haven't had any problems since.

If I had not met him it would probably just have gone through the system again with very little attention to detail. Unfortunately, not everyone bumps in to a Taurus VP and gets such detailed attention.

In a nutshell, I won't buy Taurus now.

trashman
10-18-2008, 3:05 PM
I had a M85 .38 special snubby -- in polished stainless. Man that thing was shiny!...

It had a so-so trigger/action (the thumbpiece would move around when the action was cycled..) but holy god that was an incredibly accurate little gun! And it had excellent functional grips.

--Neill

rg_1111@yahoo.com
10-18-2008, 6:46 PM
I would spend a little more and get a S&W.

Moonclip
10-18-2008, 6:56 PM
I think their (Taurus)revolvers are the ugliest thing going, right up there with Ruger DA's.

If pimps were into revolvers, they would carry a Taurus.

The Taurus integral lock is much less obtrusive than the S&W ILS lock. And many/most Taurus revolvers are based on a S&W outward apperance.

tankerman
10-18-2008, 7:12 PM
And many/most Taurus revolvers are based on a S&W outward apperance.:puke::puke::puke:
http://www.bootsandsabers.com/images/raging_bull.jpg
http://www.dreadgazebo.com/gunporn/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/raging_bull-3.jpg

Moonclip
10-18-2008, 7:18 PM
Well, not those ones! It does have the extra Dan Wessonish front cylinder release though.

rabbitstew
10-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I'v got a model 85 and love it. My girl friend has the same gun and the double action sometimes locks up. Guess you have to get lucky.

catchmychainsaw
10-19-2008, 11:25 AM
I owned a Taurus pt92 that I was pretty happy with. I got it for about $500 with tax and all and never had problem with it. It fed great and grouped well, the only reason I sold it was because I had Sig 9mm that got much more range time. I would still have it if not for my stellar 226.

Moonclip
10-20-2008, 1:51 AM
I'v got a model 85 and love it. My girl friend has the same gun and the double action sometimes locks up. Guess you have to get lucky.

I have had 3 Taurus 85 revolvers, all quite good. But as mentioned Taurus QC can be very spotty.

viras
10-20-2008, 9:49 AM
I have a Taurus PT-92 AFS (SS), one of the newer ones with the rail and ambi-decocker.

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v346/30/76/699409829/n699409829_892373_2093.jpg

I absolutely love it.

It has never jammed on me, and it eats all types of ammo (wolf included). The trigger pull is really light, and it's really fun to shoot.

The only complaint I have about this particular gun is that the locking block is poorly designed, and Taurus knows it. The locking block design hasn't been modified in it's entire production history. Meanwhile, Beretta has recently upgraded the materials of the Locking Block and modified it's design to avoid breakage of the locking wings. The new Beretta Locking Blocks have been tested to withstand hard use of 40,000 to 50,000 rounds, whereas the older ones currently being used by Taurus only have a >10K capacity before they wear. Even though these parts are interchangeable, Taurus still chooses to use the old-style locking blocks. So, if your locking block breaks (which it will), and if you send your gun back to Taurus, they will replace it for free, but with the same old-designed Locking Block. On the other hand, you could order the new style locking block (http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=350290B&chrSuperSKU=350290&MC=) and put it in your Taurus yourself, but it costs $40 bucks.

The difference between the locking blocks are the way the wings are cut. The old-style locking blocks have a 90 degree wing cut, whereas the newly designed locking blocks have a circular cut. See below - both of the following pics are of the new-style locking block - I just highlighted the red part, which is the curved cut I'm talking about:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5897/lockingblockcurvedv3.jpg
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/9162/350290vu2.jpg

nick
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a Taurus Tracker 627 in 357 mag/38 special. I had a rocky start with it, when the rear sight plate fell off. Yup, that's what it did, it just fell off a few days after I bought it. I sent it Taurus, they replaced it. I haven't had any issues ever since. It feels solid, it groups well, it has little recoil in 38 special and not that much of a recoil in 357 mag, and it has very comfortable grips.

glockster
10-20-2008, 8:28 PM
I currently have 2 Taurus revolvers that have been trouble-free and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. However, I've never owned one of their semi-auto pistols so I can't attest to those.