PDA

View Full Version : Legality of 14 inch bbl on FAL question.

3rd_gear
03-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Is it legal to have a barrel less than 16 inches screwed into an FAL reciever as long as the rifle is not fully assembled with the intent of permantly attaching a muzzle break (to bring bbl to 16+ inches)?
I am asking because the reciever is the DROSed part.
Thanks in advance.

guimus
03-16-2007, 11:06 AM
don't have in your posession a barrel under 16" if you have a receiver that it fits on. It's just not a good idea.

AJAX22
03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
It's a big no-no, its not a state law, its a federal constructive posession law, if you have a short barrel, and you have a gun that the short barrel will go on, then you have a short barreled NFA weapon.

get it out of your posession asap, and have the break welded on before taking posession of it.

3rd_gear
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
It's a big no-no, its not a state law, its a federal constructive posession law, if you have a short barrel, and you have a gun that the short barrel will go on, then you have a short barreled NFA weapon.

Thankyou

bwiese
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Don't even own the under-16"-barrel if you have a FAL - either a full gun or just receiver.

Your 'intent' isn't relevant.

Don't try to store it elsewhere - with "constructive possession" it doesn't matter, you're still in NFA land.

If you indeed had such a barrel, you probably shoulda thrown it as far as possible or given it to a street bum standing on the corner.

We've already had one Calgunner popped for a somewhat similar thing. These laws are irrelevant of your good intent.

50 Freak
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow, seems like we're guilty not for our actions now a days, but the possibility of an act.

Hell if that is the case, every man here in CA is a rapist.

My point is, you will probably win in court against "intent" charges, but do you really want to have it go that far.

bwiese
03-16-2007, 1:04 PM
Wow, seems like we're guilty not for our actions now a days, but the possibility of an act.

Hell if that is the case, every man here in CA is a rapist.

My point is, you will probably win in court against "intent" charges, but do you really want to have it go that far.

No, 'intent' will not enter into it. These are possession crimes.

A Calgunner is in fair heap of trouble even though he wanted to be CA compliant.

50 Freak
03-16-2007, 1:13 PM
I'd like to know the end result of this.

I'd think the prosecution would have a hell of a time to get a conviction. Look at all the people that get off with murder...OJ for example....

Most likely the prosecution will intimidate the Calgunners to plea bargain.

ARRRR-15
03-16-2007, 1:14 PM
So I cut about 6 inches off my marlin .22 barrel down to 16 inches. Now what should I do with the cut off? If it can't mount onto a receiver is it ok to have?

THE 0NE
03-16-2007, 5:24 PM
get a break welded on it, than it will be legal and cool looking or if pined mag do a noveske like i did works great!!!

SemiAutoSam
03-16-2007, 5:47 PM
Either that or a Brake.:rolleyes:

get a break welded on it, than it will be legal and cool looking or if pined mag do a noveske like i did works great!!!

xenophobe
03-16-2007, 6:04 PM
I'd think the prosecution would have a hell of a time to get a conviction.

It's pretty easy for them to get a conviction. Person had parts, parts were illegal. He can try to fight it, but will most likely lose.

Stay away from NFA violations.