PDA

View Full Version : Glass Factory, Is It about Time Again?

patobravo
01-10-2012, 7:31 PM
Sort of looks like a clean-up is about due again, I think it got a lot of use over the holidays with the nice weather and everyone's new toys.

Saturday, February 25th

I'll try & be up there by 7:30, Marborg will have a roll-off and toilet up there by 8 AM that day.
Attendees
Committed:
Patobravo + 2
Gtturborex
Safooma
Rusty Scabbard
n6vmo
Deadbolt
ckprax
dougolupski
automatikdonn +1?
Ima2Avoter +1

Possibly:
One78Shovel + 1
Spunger1
vintagearms
celticstorm
oeno
Which Way out
Tactical Plinker
escobar805
GOEX FFF

gtturborex
01-10-2012, 7:42 PM
It's been a while since our last one. I'm open most weekends except the 28-29th as well.

Mike

Deadbolt
01-11-2012, 9:44 AM
due to work related responsibilities, I will be only tentative until march sometime

ckprax
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I should be good for most weekends. Last time there was talk of getting a backhoe or bobcat up there to speed up the process. I think it would be great if we could make that happen. I will gladly pitch in on the rental or transportation costs.

@ Deadbolt - I am pretty sure I saw you walking your dog this morning, dressed in bright green. I drive the black Camaro SS.

gtturborex
01-13-2012, 8:30 AM
I should be good for most weekends. Last time there was talk of getting a backhoe or bobcat up there to speed up the process. I think it would be great if we could make that happen. I will gladly pitch in on the rental or transportation costs.

@ Deadbolt - I am pretty sure I saw you walking your dog this morning, dressed in bright green. I drive the black Camaro SS.

I wasn't thinking about that. Let me find out about the tractor.

Mike

Deadbolt
01-13-2012, 9:27 AM

No ****! You're the guy that did his own tranny or engine work over the course of a week in the street like over summer or spring some time? I have to say i admired how quick you were able get that work done. If you're the guy and car I'm thinking of, thats a nice ride and impressed with your ownership ethic hahaha :clap:

Bright Green is my MO :rofl:

ckprax
01-13-2012, 9:59 AM
No ****! You're the guy that did his own tranny or engine work over the course of a week in the street like over summer or spring some time? I have to say i admired how quick you were able get that work done. If you're the guy and car I'm thinking of, thats a nice ride and impressed with your ownership ethic hahaha :clap:

Bright Green is my MO :rofl:

Yep that was me. I had the fuel pump and starter go out so while it was down I replaced a few other odds and ends, hoses, wires etc.

Deadbolt
01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
awesome man, say hi next time :43:

Spunger1
01-13-2012, 3:28 PM
I might be able to help on this as well keep us posted of times and dates

ckprax
01-14-2012, 6:47 PM
Well i was up there today. It looks pretty bad, lots of garbage, shot shells everywhere and someone drug an oven out about 150yds.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/cprax/2012-01-14_12-38-52_584.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m519/cprax/2012-01-14_12-39-26_149.jpg

Deadbolt
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
dear god. Getting some clarification on scheduled workload - looks like other than the Valentine's week (and weekends on either side) I should be good for a clean up. Id recommend after - since we're less than a month away from any Feb date before then and 1month + advance noticed tends to have the greatest turn outs

vintagearms
01-16-2012, 12:07 PM
It would be really nice if people would pick up their own s**t when they leave but heaven forbid they call a cease fire for that. :rolleyes:. Im tagging this as I'd like to help.

celticstorm
01-16-2012, 6:26 PM
Those pictures make me sick. That is why areas get closed off for shooting. We don't shoot there but frequent the area when we go off roading. If the weekend is right we're in.

oeno
01-17-2012, 8:22 PM
That does not look good. It reminds me of when I went out to Barstow to go shooting. That place was a pigsty, people left crap all over the place. So I have not shot their but I will help if I can. Need to keep the local places clean and open.

ckprax
01-17-2012, 9:34 PM
Well i can do any weekend in feb except for presidents day. I suggest the weekend of the 25th. How does this work for everyone?

littleandres
01-17-2012, 11:57 PM
first off, where is this place? I'm down to help out...

gtturborex
01-18-2012, 6:04 AM
first off, where is this place? I'm down to help out...

Here you go:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/goob0/CGN_GIS/GlassFactory_Map_Draft.jpg

n6vmo
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I am OK with any weekend except for President's Day.

Which Way Out
01-18-2012, 2:39 PM
Pick a day, if I not fishing or out of town Sign me up

patobravo
01-18-2012, 8:29 PM
Sorry, i started this and then disappeared for a while, wife out of town & son's science fair project due. How's about...

February 25th???

How does this work for folks?

ckprax
01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
That should work for me.

littleandres
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
man... i live in northern California!! Well next time I'm in southern California, I'll help out!!

Deadbolt
01-19-2012, 7:19 AM
should be good by me too. only count me for 1 presently. not bringin pregger wife to the lead bowl :rofl:

gtturborex
01-19-2012, 9:05 AM
Count me in for the 25th. I'm working on the tractor situation so hang tight.

ckprax
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Count me in for the 25th. I'm working on the tractor situation so hang tight.

Awesome, that would sure make life easier, but if it doesn't pan out we should still be able to make a pretty good dent in it.

oeno
01-20-2012, 6:38 PM
I do not see this to be a problem for me but I"ll double check my calender. If not, I circle the date.

gtturborex
01-25-2012, 7:09 AM
I'll try & be up there by 7:30 and will contact Marborg shortly about a roll-off. If anyone has any contacts there let me know, mine doesn't seem to check or respond to his e-mail.

I've shot a PM to Craig so hopefully the Marborg thing will fall into line.

Also I've contacted a local equipment rental place that has said they will help us out since this is volunteer work. I'm not sure exactly what that help will entail but from the sound of it he will rent me a front loader at a discount. I've already contacted Larry from the forest service but have not received a call back yet. We need to find out if he is ok with this.

The problem we will have with the tractor is going to be transportation. I can tow a smaller (bob cat type) <10,000lbs tractor but the larger ones will need to be brought in on a semi-truck. Maybe they could drop the larger one off at the entrance to Camino Cielo and we could drive it back to the range?

The smaller tractors might have an issue dumping over the side of the dumpster as well.

Is there anyone here good at making posters? I would like to get a large sign made so we can put it at the ranger station to alert others of our planned closures. The signs should have all the details of our plans as well as have our sponsors reconized. Maybe even invite others to participate. Then we could place these at our local gun shops and such to get more help.

Mike

patobravo
01-25-2012, 9:07 AM
I've shot a PM to Craig so hopefully the Marborg thing will fall into line.

OK, let me know if you don;t hear anything from him by the 30th and I'll pursue this.

Is there anyone here good at making posters? I would like to get a large sign made so we can put it at the ranger station to alert others of our planned closures. The signs should have all the details of our plans as well as have our sponsors reconized. Maybe even invite others to participate. Then we could place these at our local gun shops and such to get more help.

Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of? a couple of clean-ups ago I placed laminated 8 1/2 x 11 signs at the range entrance and just after the turn-off from 154 onto East Camino Cielo. I can do the same but acknowledging the sponsors is a good idea and would probably require a more professional sign to do them justice. Can we incorporate a bullseye or zombie in the design so we can use it afterwards:) ?

i was also wondering if it'd be a good or bad idea to let the News Press know, get some coverage of the clean-up to show we do care and we do take care of the spot. Or is this just raising our heads above the parapet?

---John

Deadbolt
01-25-2012, 9:38 AM
OK, let me know if you don;t hear anything from him by the 30th and I'll pursue this.

Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of? a couple of clean-ups ago I placed laminated 8 1/2 x 11 signs at the range entrance and just after the turn-off from 154 onto East Camino Cielo. I can do the same but acknowledging the sponsors is a good idea and would probably require a more professional sign to do them justice. Can we incorporate a bullseye or zombie in the design so we can use it afterwards:) ?

i was also wondering if it'd be a good or bad idea to let the News Press know, get some coverage of the clean-up to show we do care and we do take care of the spot. Or is this just raising our heads above the parapet?

---John

I can take the poster work order. I'll have an EPS file for you to print sometime before the end of the week.

Regarding the newspress - i'd say "its a good idea but if we have poor turn out it might reflect poorly ( lack of community interest == lack of community responsibility == makes gun owners look bad save for the few martyrs (you and I) shlepping around rakes and shovels )

could be hit or miss.

Turbo or anyone else - anything specific in the language on the poster and what dimensions can you guys get it printed on? I used to have print shop connections here up to 3foot x 20feet b&w for cost but that place got bought out and changed management so I can't ensure printing anylonger.

Let me know on dimension - i will otherwise design on an 8.5:11 ratio and we can scale it from there

gtturborex
01-25-2012, 6:59 PM
Good idea, what ranger station are you thinking of?

The station on the left right when you turn on East Camino Cielo. Or is that a fire dept???

gtturborex
01-25-2012, 7:07 PM
I can take the poster work order. I'll have an EPS file for you to print sometime before the end of the week.

Turbo or anyone else - anything specific in the language on the poster and what dimensions can you guys get it printed on? I used to have print shop connections here up to 3foot x 20feet b&w for cost but that place got bought out and changed management so I can't ensure printing anylonger.

Let me know on dimension - i will otherwise design on an 8.5:11 ratio and we can scale it from there

I was thinking something quite large and re-useable. Maybe like a metal sign like a road sign. We would just need to be able to change the dates.

As for the fliers any standard size should be fine. Maybe 2 per page or something along those lines. We probably won't need too many of them around here. Just at our local FFL shop.

Marborg has been a huge sponsor for us so we need to recognize this. I am still working on the other potential sponsor that would probably be a one time thing. I really want to get this setup but I haven't got a returned call from Larry yet.

TacticalPlinker
01-26-2012, 5:39 AM
I'm not sure how much I can contribute, and I'm going to be very last minute, but that picture looks worse than the last time I was there.

In fact, I haven't been there in 6 months or so because of the trash. I picked up everything except my brass, and that was only because I had no idea what brass was mine. But wish people would just clean up. So frustrating that we lose what few places we have to shoot because of this.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread.

side note; I :rofl2: at the Target banner out there. I wonder where they stole that from.

Deadbolt
01-26-2012, 9:08 AM
Gooooottttccchhhaaa ok thats something to think about. What about just a giant sheet of sheet metal, painted rustoleum white then clear coated

and we just use vinyl lettering to do something simple like:

EAST CAMINO CIELO
RANGE CLEAN UP
<DATE>

?

I was thinking something quite large and re-useable. Maybe like a metal sign like a road sign. We would just need to be able to change the dates.

As for the fliers any standard size should be fine. Maybe 2 per page or something along those lines. We probably won't need too many of them around here. Just at our local FFL shop.

Marborg has been a huge sponsor for us so we need to recognize this. I am still working on the other potential sponsor that would probably be a one time thing. I really want to get this setup but I haven't got a returned call from Larry yet.

Deadbolt
01-26-2012, 9:09 AM
oooooohhhh **** you know what. We do that then leave space for "Sponsors"

so if we ever market that again, we can actually say that their logo will be placed somewhere (might make the offer more enticing? ) just thinking out loud .....

patobravo
01-26-2012, 9:46 AM
The station on the left right when you turn on East Camino Cielo. Or is that a fire dept???

Was fire department, now I think someone actually lives there, definitely no fire department there. But right across the street from there is a good place to plant a sign.

gtturborex
01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
oooooohhhh **** you know what. We do that then leave space for "Sponsors"

so if we ever market that again, we can actually say that their logo will be placed somewhere (might make the offer more enticing? ) just thinking out loud .....

Exactly!

Deadbolt
01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
ok im a workin stiff.

I'll do some pricing on what the sign would cost and report back some materials costs and options.

for what it's worth - im just going to go down to the local OSH and price some stuff out, we can pow-wow on what is the best combo and then figure out how to pay for it. I've mooched water and donuts in the past from everyone so i'm good to cover a lion's share but if its going to cost more than 50$ i might ask for donatin's lol

gtturborex
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
ok im a workin stiff.

I'll do some pricing on what the sign would cost and report back some materials costs and options.

for what it's worth - im just going to go down to the local OSH and price some stuff out, we can pow-wow on what is the best combo and then figure out how to pay for it. I've mooched water and donuts in the past from everyone so i'm good to cover a lion's share but if its going to cost more than 50$ i might ask for donatin's lol

Do it for the cause. Think of the children:p

JK, I'll kick down as well...

escobar805
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
How's everybody doing. New to calguns. The glass factory is a great place to shoot and it would be great to keep the area as clean as possible, but there is always those idiots who ruin it for everybody. Feb 25 should work just fine for me. I am willing to help out

Deadbolt
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Do it for the cause. Think of the children:p

haha yeah no worries - as mentioned everyone has been very giving with the munchies and drinks so if its not ridiculously expensive i'll foot the bill on the sign

ckprax
01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
ok im a workin stiff.

Just let me know and I'll pitch in.

gtturborex
01-26-2012, 1:00 PM
How's everybody doing. New to calguns. The glass factory is a great place to shoot and it would be great to keep the area as clean as possible, but there is always those idiots who ruin it for everybody. Feb 25 should work just fine for me. I am willing to help out

Welcome to Calguns! We can use all the help we can get.

gtturborex
01-26-2012, 6:41 PM
Ok so I talked to Larry with the Forestry Service a little earlier today.

With regards with the sign he is going to contact the fire station about putting it up out in front. He says it will just need to have large lettering pretty much stating that there is a range cleanup on this date and time. Sponsors should be good to include as well.

The tractor will need some extra oks. He is good with it but will need to ask the actual ranger for permission. He is also going to contact the fire station about us having the semi truck drop the tractor there and we would then just drive it back to the range.

He also has to contact some archeologists:rolleyes: about the possibility of "digging" up artifacts. He knows we will just be getting the trash and doing a light grading but they need to be contacted first.

More to come...

GOEX FFF
01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
<Snip>

---John

If the news is contacted, I would be good too, to let them know that the target shooters are the ones that are doing the clean up. The last news article on the GF clean up I read, while all positive, kinda made it sound like just your everyday resident was complaining about the trash and were going to clean up. If it's pushed to know that the shooters are the ones who care, that would be a positive thing for them to note.

Deadbolt
01-27-2012, 6:34 AM
this is exactly the sort of misrepresentation I was warning about. Any outreach to media should be a rehearsed and orchestrated connection.

If the news is contacted, I would be good too, to let them know that the target shooters are the ones that are doing the clean up. The last news article on the GF clean up I read, while all positive, kinda made it sound like just your everyday resident was complaining about the trash and were going to clean up. If it's pushed to know that the shooters are the ones who care, that would be a positive thing for them to note.

gtturborex
01-27-2012, 9:52 AM
Ok we are good to go on all fronts.

Front loader has been approved by the Ranger. I will get a hold of the rental agency and set this up as long as we can get support from Marborg.

Sign is good to go for in front of the fire station. There is 2 poles that they use for other signs out there that we can use to hold it. The poles are 4ft across so the should be at least that wide. We will need to drill some holes in the sign at the site and bolt it on. Generally a 2 pewrson job according to Larry.

He also said it would be a good idea to put an alternate date on the sign if it happens to rain that weekend. Something to ponder...

The way it looks right now we might need a few more people. Does someone want to go through the old threads and PM all the others that have helped out in the past? I will be out of town all weekend starting now.

Deadbolt
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Awesome and thank you for dimensions. I will have materials options posted up sometime after lunch time tomorrow (heading to OSH tomorrow morning )

alternate dates wise... im good as long as its not valentine's day week (work function all week and both adjoining weekends - before / after ) and im not available in May for another work function

gtturborex
01-27-2012, 10:11 AM
What are the plans for the materials? Aluminum would probably be the best bet. A little more expensive but it will weather great and look professional. Have you looked into a local sign company?

Deadbolt
01-27-2012, 10:18 AM
What are the plans for the materials? Aluminum would probably be the best bet. A little more expensive but it will weather great and look professional. Have you looked into a local sign company?

I used to know the guys @ White signs pretty good back when i did prop management but its been literally almost a decade since i was in the graphic (purely) industry and have fallen out of touch.

I think ideally we'll want to get one of the alloy / alumn materials they use for like parking / handicap/ etc.. signs.

Painting - I've got that undercontrol. I have an airbrush and used to be quite the avid hobbyist ( aka i used to crash expensive motorcycles a lot so i became really proficient in painting and plastic repair :rofl: ) so I don't think we need to engage a sign company unless we are after them as a sponsor (might not be a bad idea tho.... )

One78Shovel
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
If my J-O-B does not send me out of town I think me and the misses can make it. If not, is there someone I can paypal some $$ to help out with some cost?

-178S

Deadbolt
01-31-2012, 8:44 AM
i got shanghai'd on sat and sun by work. I did get some pricing and such and it looks like we should be able to pull it off for cheaper than 100$.

I will draw up a schematic and describe what / how I anticipate the sign will be constructed sometime this week - I just want to be thorough since this will be a community sign and I haven't had the chance to do a write up for us.

in a nut shell tho :

Sign size : 24"x40"

Hardware : both a stand and hooks to hang ( so we can hang if theres something we can cover, otherwise a kickstand will be built in )

paint / prep materials, etc..

shouldn't run over 100$ or if it does only slightly.

Rusty Scabbard
01-31-2012, 6:58 PM
Count me in unless I have to travel that weekend.
Keep the Glass Factory Clean ! (and open)
And many thanks to everyone doing the footwork and organizing these cleanups.

Safooma
02-04-2012, 6:54 AM
Count me in

gtturborex
02-06-2012, 8:10 AM
How's the sign coming Deadbolt?

We look to be a go on all aspects except for the trash removal. Seems like Craig is doing a lot of traveling this month so hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.

I have not made final arrangements for the front loader as we need a confimation from Marborg first.

Hopefully everything falls together. I can supply the hotdogs and waters again. Let's pull this together...

Mike

patobravo
02-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I have not made final arrangements for the front loader as we need a confimation from Marborg first.

I have a call into Marborg, the right guy was not there today but I left a message with all the info & my cell #, I'll post something when I hear. i don;t think they've ever said no but best to wait till we hear. Sorry, I started this thread and then got crazy-busy out of nowhere.

Tonight I'll PM folks who've expressed any interest to verify participation and list at the head of this thread when I get confirmation.

And I'm good for sign contribution and bagles, cream cheese & OJ for the morning of.

gtturborex
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I have a call into Marborg, the right guy was not there today but I left a message with all the info & my cell #, I'll post something when I hear. i don;t think they've ever said no but best to wait till we hear. Sorry, I started this thread and then got crazy-busy out of nowhere.

Tonight I'll PM folks who've expressed any interest to verify participation and list at the head of this thread when I get confirmation.

And I'm good for sign contribution and bagles, cream cheese & OJ for the morning of.

Great, thanks for the help!

On a side note we went out there yesterday and it looks pretty bad. we really need to get this done.

I also pulled into the fire station there and verified that there is a large enough area for the semi to drop off the tractor for us.

patobravo
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Great, thanks for the help!

On a side note we went out there yesterday and it looks pretty bad. we really need to get this done.

I also pulled into the fire station there and verified that there is a large enough area for the semi to drop off the tractor for us.

Yeah. it's been a month since I've been up there but i can imagine it's only gotten worse.

I just spoke with David Borgatello, Marborg is going to have a roll-off and a toilet up there by 8 Am on the 25th, Yay Marborg! :)

He did ask that there be some mention of Marborg's contribution. I mentioned the sign and handbills at the gun shops (are thoses going to happen BTW), I also said I'd take out an ad in the News-Press thanking Marborg for their generosity and continued support on behalf of the Calguns and the shooting community in general after the clean-up is complete, if folks want to chip in a little towards that just give whatever you can at the clean-up.

Deadbolt
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
How's the sign coming Deadbolt?

We look to be a go on all aspects except for the trash removal. Seems like Craig is doing a lot of traveling this month so hopefully we will be hearing from him soon.

Hopefully everything falls together. I can supply the hotdogs and waters again. Let's pull this together...

Mike

work has been absolutely ridiculous. I did a 64hr week just last week alone. I'll do a rough sketch of the sign i had in mind - i may need to pass the creation of the sign off to someone else but i can put some $$ on it - its going to be a really ****ty month for me lol in terms of "personal time" :(

Spunger1
02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
We were there this last Saturday and outside of the ton of shotgun shells there wasn't as much trash as I've seen. I did notice 2 of the tables missing which I'm sure someone took it upon themselves to use as a target.

This is happening the weekend of the 24th correct?

gtturborex
02-06-2012, 1:24 PM
We were there this last Saturday and outside of the ton of shotgun shells there wasn't as much trash as I've seen. I did notice 2 of the tables missing which I'm sure someone took it upon themselves to use as a target.

This is happening the weekend of the 24th correct?

Yes Saturday the 25th

gtturborex
02-06-2012, 1:30 PM
Yeah. it's been a month since I've been up there but i can imagine it's only gotten worse.

I just spoke with David Borgatello, Marborg is going to have a roll-off and a toilet up there by 8 Am on the 25th, Yay Marborg! :)

He did ask that there be some mention of Marborg's contribution. I mentioned the sign and handbills at the gun shops (are thoses going to happen BTW), I also said I'd take out an ad in the News-Press thanking Marborg for their generosity and continued support on behalf of the Calguns and the shooting community in general after the clean-up is complete, if folks want to chip in a little towards that just give whatever you can at the clean-up.

Great! But, if we do the front loader one will definitely not be enough. Is there anyway we can get the "you fill one and we'll bring another" deal. I know it's asking a lot but I'm hoping this will be the last time we have to have a HUGE cleanup. I don't want to spend the cash on the front loader only to run out of a room in the dumpster.

work has been absolutely ridiculous. I did a 64hr week just last week alone. I'll do a rough sketch of the sign i had in mind - i may need to pass the creation of the sign off to someone else but i can put some $$ on it - its going to be a really ****ty month for me lol in terms of "personal time" :(

I'm not any good at that type of stuff but I'll help anyway I can. If you could get the sketch done I could run it by the sign shop and see what they say. We should get this done asap though so everyone has sufficient notice of the closure and we get the word out in our local gun shops.

I will call Larry again to let him know that we are a go but are still pending with regards to the tractor.

patobravo
02-06-2012, 2:26 PM
Is there anyway we can get the "you fill one and we'll bring another" deal. I know it's asking a lot but I'm hoping this will be the last time we have to have a HUGE cleanup.

I'll ask, I did mention the tractor to him and he was very emphatic about no dirt in the roll-off, I don't know if that's gonna be a problem or not.

Deadbolt
02-06-2012, 3:50 PM
@turbo

Essentially it would be an alum / alloy (same material as "no parking" signs)

There would be simple text - can be vinyl lettering reading whatever we wish

something like :

EAST CAMINO CIELO SHOOTING RANGE
CLEAN UP SCHEDULED BY CALGUNS

Then under that, we have 2 sections with 2x "holes punched" in the metal. The idea being we can have reuseable sheet metal "dates" like "mar, jan, jun, oct" etc.. plates for months, then a series of numbers

Those numbers would have the same 2 holes punched. We can then Zip-tie them to the sign to change dates and reuse the sign without wasting materials to designate the date.

Also @ the top of the sign i was thinking 2 "U" hooks - so we could just "hang it" on an existing forest service sign (like one of the many SMOKEY IS GOING TO HATE YOU IF YOU START A FOREST FIRE" signs - assuming the rangers are ok with this for the duration of the sign's posting)

and last but not least - literally mount a bicycle kickstand or something similar to the back of the sign if we need to play it in a position / hanging isnt available

sorry for short typing - works killing me, gunna be a 13hr day
-b

Deadbolt
02-06-2012, 3:50 PM
oh and if we farm this out to a local company - I got 50$ on it

ckprax
02-06-2012, 3:59 PM

Have we bought anything yet? Let me know what you were thinking, my wife may not like me taking up the patio with a big sign but I'll see what I can do.

I agree with the others we need to get the flyers out and sign up ASAP. Do we have the flyers that were put up last time that we can modify?

PM incoming

patobravo
02-06-2012, 5:53 PM
I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/misc/i-6SHb7LS/0/L/Proof-1-L.png

18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.

Maybe get 3, one for the range, one for Gibraltar Rd. & one for across from the fire station?

wildfxp
02-06-2012, 6:05 PM
Would any of you be willing to provide me the directions / coordinates to this place?

I know I'm a new member here...and I'm a new firearms owner, but I am willing to help out the community. Being new to all this, I would hate to see it disappear because of patrons that do not clean after themselves :(

ckprax
02-06-2012, 6:16 PM
I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?<br />
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/misc/i-6SHb7LS/0/L/Proof-1-L.png<br />
<br />
18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.<br />
<br />
Maybe get 3, one for the range, one for Gibraltar Rd. & one for across from the fire station?

Wow thanks for the offer. I think maybe putting a blanket statement like "all are welcome to help" might be good. PM me your info and I will send some $$.

ckprax
02-06-2012, 6:20 PM
Would any of you be willing to provide me the directions / coordinates to this place?

I know I'm a new member here...and I'm a new firearms owner, but I am willing to help out the community. Being new to all this, I would hate to see it disappear because of patrons that do not clean after themselves :(

We would be glad to have you. All the help we can get.

I believe the directions were posted earlier but basically you take highway 154, at the top if the pass you turn on east camino cielo, follow it about 8 miles, it takes quite awhile, and you can't really miss it. If you think you're lost or had to have passed it just keep going.

patobravo
02-06-2012, 6:22 PM

Hi ya!
in google maps it's Arroyo Burro Rd/Forest Route 5N20 (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Arroyo+Burro+Rd%2FForest+Route+5N20&hl=en&ll=34.505381,-119.752852&spn=0.002266,0.004951&sll=38.596135,-103.927655&sspn=17.505413,40.561523&t=h&z=19)

Turn onto East Camino Cielo at the top of Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass), drive 6.2 miles and you're there.

gtturborex
02-07-2012, 6:23 AM
I'm OK with taking care if the sign and/or fliers unless someone else is dying to do this. Something like this?
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/misc/i-6SHb7LS/0/L/Proof-1-L.png

18" x 24", 0.04" Aluminum.

That looks pretty good! The sign for the entrance to Camino Cielo road should be about 4ft wide. We have permission to use the fire stations sign post that they have there.

The only other thing that should be done on it is to make the date changeable so we can re-use the sign for next time.

I say go ahead and take charge of that. I will print out some copies and put them at my local gun shop as well. I might also add the local tractor rental place on the fliers as well if they do help us out with this. That probably doesn't need to go on the sign though since it will be a one time thing.

gtturborex
02-07-2012, 6:24 AM
Also we should make sure it is OK with Kes if we use his logo since technically he is not sponsoring this event.

patobravo
02-07-2012, 6:38 AM
Also we should make sure it is OK with Kes if we use his logo since technically he is not sponsoring this event.
Asking...PM sent.

n6vmo
02-07-2012, 7:59 AM
Has a list of tools and other handy items, for the attendees, been assembled?

Drinking water, food/snacks, work gloves, work shoes, hats, dust masks, eye protection, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrels, etc?

I will be there to help out.

gtturborex
02-07-2012, 9:23 AM
Has a list of tools and other handy items, for the attendees, been assembled?

Drinking water, food/snacks, work gloves, work shoes, hats, dust masks, eye protection, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrels, etc?

I will be there to help out.

All of the above are really good ideas. I'm bringing the bbq, hotdogs, condiments, and a few cases of water.

Wheelbarrows have made all the difference in the world so if you have one bring it. I think we brought 3 of them out with us last time.

gtturborex
02-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Just got off the phone with Craig. He is giving Dave over at Marborg a call and said it shouldn't be a problem to get multiple rolloffs for us.

I will go by the equipment rental place and schedule the front loader with them today.

Looks like all is a go:D

Deadbolt
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
f* awesome. Nice work everyone so far.

B. Wong
02-07-2012, 4:29 PM
I would love to help but I am out of town that weekend. How can I contribute to the sign purchase fund?

patobravo
02-07-2012, 4:41 PM
Just got off the phone with Craig. He is giving Dave over at Marborg a call and said it shouldn't be a problem to get multiple rolloffs for us.

Came back from lunch and was just about to do this, but checked here first. Glad I didn't call him again, don't want to swamp him with calls from multiple folks.
BTW, when I initially called him Dave got to talking about how he recently took his father for a ride on West Camino Cielo for the first time from Refugio Rd. and mentioned up how the other two designated shooting spots on West Camino (not Winchester Gun Club obviously) pretty littered and thought a pick-up could run out there and pick that stuff up as long as we had the roll-off at the other site.

And- Kes has not responded to PM or e-mail so I'll have the sign made as is, if anyone complains about the logo it can get covered with some vinyl.

gtturborex
02-07-2012, 5:12 PM
I would love to help but I am out of town that weekend. How can I contribute to the sign purchase fund?

Contact patobravo since he is the one taking that on. Any help would be great!

Larry would like an email of the sign/flyer as well so he can put them out around town. I'll send it to him if that is the final draft.

I called about the tractor but will need to call back tomorrow when the guy is in the office. Hopefully I will have the final price for that.

patobravo
02-09-2012, 6:20 AM
Signs will be ready tomorrow, I'll place them this weekend.

Here's where my list of attendees stand, I've updated the head of this thread with this and am placing it here also, let me know if your status is incorrect:

Attendees
Committed:
Patobravo + 2
Gtturborex
Safooma
Rusty Scabbard
n6vmo
Deadbolt

Possibly:
One78Shovel + 1
ckprax
Spunger1
vintagearms
celticstorm
pinkyarcade
oeno
Which Way out
Tactical Plinker
escobar805

ckprax
02-09-2012, 6:41 AM
I will be there.

gtturborex
02-09-2012, 7:33 AM
I'll be a +1

When you head up to hang the sign make sure you check in with the fire station first to let them know who you are. It has already been cleared through their captain but just give them a heads up.

How are you planning on hanging it? You might need to bring a drill with you and either some bolts or heavy zipties.

patobravo
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I'll be a +1

When you head up to hang the sign make sure you check in with the fire station first to let them know who you are. It has already been cleared through their captain but just give them a heads up.

How are you planning on hanging it? You might need to bring a drill with you and either some bolts or heavy zipties.
I'll bring a bunch of hardware to cover all eventualities, probably just screw it to the 4x4's though.

gtturborex
02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Tractor is booked and looks good to go. They will need to drop it off on Friday and pick it up on Monday since they don't work on the weekends. Larry is making sure this is ok with the fire dept now. He said it should be fine.

ckprax
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Tractor is booked and looks good to go. They will need to drop it off on Friday and pick it up on Monday since they don't work on the weekends. Larry is making sure this is ok with the fire dept now. He said it should be fine.

Awesome, this clean up will be epic!

Since the range is closed should we leave our guns at home or can we have a private shoot after?

gtturborex
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Awesome, this clean up will be epic!

Since the range is closed should we leave our guns at home or can we have a private shoot after?

I'm bringing some guns. We should finish pretty quickly using the tractor I'm assuming. But, cleanup comes first since we have the extra resources available to us.

gtturborex
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I sent out another PM with about ~20 people that have participated in cleanups in the past. Hopefully we get some more help.

John,

I used your PM from earlier with a few minor changes. I hope you don't mind:o

Ima2Avoter
02-09-2012, 4:26 PM
I sent out another PM with about ~20 people that have participated in cleanups in the past. Hopefully we get some more help.

John,

PM received, PM sent.
Checked my schedule and looks clear so far. Will tentatively say I'm in plus wifey. She can't clean up due to recent surgery, but could be a cheerleader or help do some cookin'? So we need anything special for this?

gtturborex
02-09-2012, 4:36 PM
PM received, PM sent.
Checked my schedule and looks clear so far. Will tentatively say I'm in plus wifey. She can't clean up due to recent surgery, but could be a cheerleader or help do some cookin'? So we need anything special for this?

PM sent. It would be great to see you again out there. We could use someone to cook up the dogs if your wife is able.

patobravo
02-09-2012, 6:56 PM
John,

I just read it, gave me the tripiest sense of deja vu.

gtturborex
02-10-2012, 6:46 AM
automatikdonn is in plus probably a few friends!

Thanks again

Deadbolt
02-10-2012, 7:49 AM
so who do i push my 50$ on for the sign :rofl: someone take my money

dougolupski
02-10-2012, 2:28 PM
Greeting from Korea! Just got into a wifi zone and saw the PM. I'm in again, i got another shovel and rake I will also be more than happy to stop and get a few more cases of water if we think we need it. I will see if I can get a few of my good for nothing friends to finally chip in. God i only hope its not as hot as it was in Oct.

Now off to my nice 13 hour flight for three hours at home then back off to Texas. See you guys in a few.

gtturborex
02-10-2012, 4:22 PM
Greeting from Korea! Just got into a wifi zone and saw the PM. I'm in again, i got another shovel and rake I will also be more than happy to stop and get a few more cases of water if we think we need it. I will see if I can get a few of my good for nothing friends to finally chip in. God i only hope its not as hot as it was in Oct.

Now off to my nice 13 hour flight for three hours at home then back off to Texas. See you guys in a few.

Great! Have a safe trip home!

patobravo
02-12-2012, 2:04 PM
Updated participants, hung signs yesterday.

gtturborex
02-12-2012, 4:26 PM
Updated participants, hung signs yesterday.

Nice! Any pics?

patobravo
02-13-2012, 3:11 PM
Went with standard size to get inna reasonable amount of time...
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-j5sRXmf/0/M/IMG6473-M.jpg

I placed one at the turn-off of 154 & East Camino (in front of the fire department), one by La Cumbre peak so if anyone comes up from Gibralter Rd. they'll see it (tried to get that one further down but only wanted to place it on a forest service sign post). And of course one at the site. They're on the thin side, hopefuly no one will decide to fold that one in half. After this clean-up i'll mount them to some plywood for added stiffness.

ckprax
02-14-2012, 7:41 AM
Went with standard size to get inna reasonable amount of time...
http://patobravo.smugmug.com/Other/misc/i-j5sRXmf/0/M/IMG6473-M.jpg

I placed one at the turn-off of 154 & East Camino (in front of the fire department), one by La Cumbre peak so if anyone comes up from Gibralter Rd. they'll see it (tried to get that one further down but only wanted to place it on a forest service sign post). And of course one at the site. They're on the thin side, hopefuly on one will decide to fold that one in half. After this clean-up i'll mount them to some plywood for added stiffness.

That looks great! Glad this is coming together. Did flyers get made and posted? I can post in Goleta and SB if it still needs to be done.

patobravo
02-14-2012, 9:27 AM
That looks great! Glad this is coming together. Did flyers get made and posted? I can post in Goleta and SB if it still needs to be done.
I gave the PDF to Ranger Larry, I believe he was going to distribute some, if you'd like I can shoot you the PDF. If you're interested PM me an e-mail address.

gtturborex
02-14-2012, 12:05 PM

I put out some fliers at my local shop in lompoc

gtturborex
02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Got a call from Craig last night confirming we are a go with as many dumpsters as we can use. Thanks Marborg!!!

oeno
02-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey guys I have to apologize but I will not be able to make it :(. Work has thrown me a curve ball and I am going to have to work that day. I will try my best for the next time.

Deadbolt
02-15-2012, 1:31 PM
awesome job on the signage sirs :clap:

Im still def in for the 25th. At present I may have +2 or greater but please do not plan amenities for the additionals as they are night owls and 9am is not in their usual vocabulary lol

celticstorm
02-15-2012, 6:08 PM
Every time I drive by the Glass Factory going 4-wheeling in my FJ... it makes me sick. Why the @#@#$@ can't people pick up after themselves!!! I might have to work the 25th but if I don't I will drag myself & my better half out of bed and we'll be there.

gtturborex
02-17-2012, 1:30 PM
Venturasurf is in again +family!!!

Hopefully this isn't a punishment again:p

patobravo
02-20-2012, 3:01 PM
Just got back from the Glass Factory with friends & sons. Either President's weekend is a big draw or folks heard about the clean-up and decided to haul more stuff up there as long as it was gonna get picked up next weekend, we were there Friday too and I swear there's half again more stuff. I pretty much reduced a plastic front lawn Santa Claus someone brought up to it's elemental form.

gtturborex
02-20-2012, 8:14 PM
Let's get a final count by Friday afternoon so I know how much food to bring.

Deadbolt
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Ole Man Deadbolt is in. Trying to russle up some interest in various groups im part of. Trying to convince some riding buddies to load up and come to the clean up then hit Divide afterward. A minimum of just me but im hoping for more, as mentioned, ill be sure to provide any craft services for my last minute jumpers

ckprax
02-21-2012, 2:14 PM
Just got back from the Glass Factory with friends & sons. Either President's weekend is a big draw or folks heard about the clean-up and decided to haul more stuff up there as long as it was gonna get picked up next weekend, we were there Friday too and I swear there's half again more stuff. I pretty much reduced a plastic front lawn Santa Claus someone brought up to it's elemental form.

I haven't been up there in awhile, as I was reading this I was hoping to read "out" rather than "up there". Disappointing to say the least.

See you guys Saturday, I am going to try and get there early and scrounge some brass before the work gets started.

gtturborex
02-24-2012, 5:47 AM
Ok final count today. I will be heading to Costco around noon hopefully

dougolupski
02-24-2012, 7:03 AM
Ok I'm sorry but I am out. I have to head out to Mexico City at midnight on Sunday. With just getting back from Korea and Texas the other week I just have to much to do.

Deadbolt
02-24-2012, 7:37 AM
still in ! I'll be bringing some particulate masks for everyone as well :chris: :43:

gtturborex
02-24-2012, 7:48 AM
still in ! I'll be bringing some particulate masks for everyone as well :chris: :43:

Nice!

ckprax
02-24-2012, 8:23 AM
I am in. I should have some rakes and shovels as always.

gtturborex
02-24-2012, 3:09 PM
I picked up the hot dogs and waters. We are all ready for tomorrow.

Off to the Friends of the NRA dinner in Santa Maria. Hopefully I win a gun or two:43:

See everyone in the morning.

Mike

Ima2Avoter
02-24-2012, 7:59 PM
Still coming with wifey, be there as soon as we can (definitely before 10am)

Somekindagenius
02-24-2012, 9:20 PM
I'll be there hopefully before 9:30 with two people to help out.

ckprax
02-25-2012, 5:27 AM
Im on my way now

Deadbolt
02-25-2012, 7:27 AM
12miles by foot and 38 by bicycle this week and im a little behind schedule this am. Im on my way up now should be there by 930

n6vmo
02-25-2012, 3:55 PM
It looked like the cleanup was a great success. I enjoyed meeting all of you.
Thanks to all who provided water, donuts, bagels and hotdogs.

Here is the time lapse video. I wil try and get some better resolution.
It contains ~1400 photos played at 30 frames per second.

http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Time Lapse/CGN_Glass_Factory_Cleanup_feb_25_2012.wmv

The YouTube version.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9HN3VWt_4

ckprax
02-25-2012, 5:16 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting it up so quickly.

Ima2Avoter
02-25-2012, 6:32 PM
No sooner than after everyone left, three carloads of SoCal's finest drinking beer and actin' rowdy showed up. My wife and I were cleaning up and I was raking up all the spent shells, one of them walked up to me and asked " You mean we gotta clean up after ourselves??:confused: I looked at them and said "Of course you do, we just spent all day humpin' out a crap-load of junk and you should clean up after your done." He looked at me like I was speakin' another language (maybe I was...:facepalm:).

Another three groups of people showed up and started lining up a butt load of FULL beers all over the place then just opened up on them spraying glass and beer every where. By the time I left, the range was full of every type of idiot just being stupid. I saw one guy start to walk down range with live fire still happening. I yelled to stop...but I didn't want to witness a Darwin moment. I had to leave before I said something I'd regret. Makes you wonder about people.

automatikdonn
02-25-2012, 6:36 PM
The TV/beer guys took there TV/beer with them, I was the one who told them they better take that crap back and they got all pissed about it. Today was a huge success. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Sub95
02-25-2012, 6:45 PM
thanks for the video. can you slow it down?

yes there is dumb people out there.

Thanks to all who showed up and helped, next time i think we need to get the left side done instead of the right side as we never get that left side cleaned up.

Ima2Avoter
02-25-2012, 6:47 PM
The TV/beer guys took there TV/beer with them, I was the one who told them they better take that crap back and they got all pissed about it. Today was a huge success. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Noooooo...there were a couple of other winning groups show up. Those guys were good and I saw them take the TV away. I stayed a while longer and shot some more after our group left.

D Harry
02-26-2012, 5:25 AM
Nice video!!
Maybe you'all should post a sign "Video recording in Progress"
and leave it.
I've only been to Glass factory once, and never brought any target. The place was a mess. You people did Outstanding Work!!!

I personally don't understand why the US Forest service doesn't issue citations for illegal dumping. They could easily watch from the road above and drive down and issue a ticket. It would take a few watches on a weekend and the word would get around.

n6vmo
02-26-2012, 8:26 AM
I personally don't understand why the US Forest service doesn't issue citations for illegal dumping. They could easily watch from the road above and drive down and issue a ticket. It would take a few watches on a weekend and the word would get around.

:thumbsup:

gtturborex
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
It looked like the cleanup was a great success. I enjoyed meeting all of you.
Thanks to all who provided water, donuts, bagels and hotdogs.

Here is the time lapse video. I wil try and get some better resolution.
It contains ~1400 photos played at 30 frames per second.

http://www.n6vmo.com/Otherstuff/Time Lapse/CGN_Glass_Factory_Cleanup_feb_25_2012.wmv

The YouTube version.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9HN3VWt_4

Awesome! At least it was so fast that you couldn't see us standing around for too long:gene:

rp9HN3VWt_4

Which Way Out
02-26-2012, 1:34 PM
Good work guys. I bet the tractor was a great help.

From the video I saw 2 roll offs, was there more than 2?

Sub95
02-26-2012, 3:51 PM
no, just the two, we would of needed 2 more if we got to the left side.

patobravo
02-26-2012, 6:25 PM
Love the video, thanks for doing that!

So, I noticed the stuff didn't seem to bother the ranger.

gtturborex
02-26-2012, 7:54 PM
\
So, I noticed the stuff didn't seem to bother the ranger.

I was wondering about that as well.

Sub95
02-26-2012, 9:34 PM
Love the video, thanks for doing that!

So, I noticed the ??????? didn't seem to bother the ranger.

He is very nice guy and down to earth.

might want to edit out the part. others do read these boards.

Rusty Scabbard
02-26-2012, 9:38 PM
Great range cleanup.

I agree D Harry - The sheriff's and rangers could pull in a few $10K weekends by observing and ticketing the dumpers. Good chance that a lot of the trashers would have other prohibitions or violations as well.

Thanks to all the volunteers who put the cleanup together. Calguns Rocks !

patobravo
02-27-2012, 7:10 AM
He is very nice guy and down to earth.

might want to edit out the part. others do read these boards.

I talked to him about it, he was curious to see what it was. But yeah, I'll edit.

gtturborex
02-27-2012, 7:25 AM
I talked to him about it, he was curious to see what it was. But yeah, I'll edit.

I edited my quote as well. We need to plan a get together where we just go shoot.

Deadbolt
02-27-2012, 7:55 AM
awesome meeting new faces and seeing familiar ones! Really great to see the community come together like it has - kudos to you all!

GOEX FFF
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
GREAT JOB guys!!! I wish I could have been there but had obligations that day.

Loved the time lapse vid n6vmo!! Thanks for doing that.

You guys all rock.