PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

Cpl_Peters
03-16-2007, 6:45 AM
single action revolvers exempt from hand gun saftey bs right? I was looking at buying ruger old model vaquero online so i checked the roster certified for sale and it wasnt on there. I soon came to realize that i could only find one vaquero on the roster (the .32 mag version) but i have seen .357 and 45LC new vaquero models for sale at gun stores despite them not being on the list. I read (on the DOJ site) that certain single action revolvers are exempt from the drop testing crazyness. No other elaboration could i find on these "certain" SAs on the DOJ site. I want to buy and old Vaquero online but dont want to find out it is illegal in this crazy state sometime during shipping or DROS.

JPN6336
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
This is what I found:

* 12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications: (1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least 7 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code. (b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

Don't know about the old model Vaquero's but the shortest new Vaquero with a 4 5/8" bbl has an overall length of 10 3/8" so should be okay under (a) (2) if I read it correctly.