PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Model # question

golfrj
01-10-2012, 1:57 PM
When you DROS a pistol do you enter the Manufacturers Model # AND manufacturing look up # or just the model #? Case in point is the Walther P99 9mm gun is on the list as P99 AS SKU 77000 which is 10 rd mag AS series,(Really hard to find) Now the 77010 is the P99 AS series 15 round mag gun.. NOT on the list (Hi Cap Mags) SAME Gun and plentiful, if I order a 77010 (Hi Cap) gun and ask the 15 rd mags be replaced with 10 rd does the DOJ care? Will they see it as a 77010 or 77000 (legal) pistol? Sorry for the confusing numbers but it seemed the way to get my point across, there are MANY others on the list that are identified as Models Only no Manufacturers numbers.. Strange Place we live... Thanks in advance for your comments (Gotta stay Legal, too many LEO buddies!!)...:)

tenpercentfirearms
01-10-2012, 3:06 PM
When you DROS a pistol do you enter the Manufacturers Model # AND manufacturing look up # or just the model #? Case in point is the Walther P99 9mm gun is on the list as P99 AS SKU 77000 which is 10 rd mag AS series,(Really hard to find) Now the 77010 is the P99 AS series 15 round mag gun.. NOT on the list (Hi Cap Mags) SAME Gun and plentiful, if I order a 77010 (Hi Cap) gun and ask the 15 rd mags be replaced with 10 rd does the DOJ care? Will they see it as a 77010 or 77000 (legal) pistol? Sorry for the confusing numbers but it seemed the way to get my point across, there are MANY others on the list that are identified as Models Only no Manufacturers numbers.. Strange Place we live... Thanks in advance for your comments (Gotta stay Legal, too many LEO buddies!!)...:)

This is a gray area. Including the SKU makes it trickier since the gun is sitting in a box with a SKU that is not on the list. If the gun didn't have a box, then the SKU issue wouldn't be an issue.

If you are going to buy 77010s and DROS them as 77000, I would not include those SKUs anywhere on anything. I would simply put down P99 AS series on my A&D and in my sales receipts. The only way the DOJ will know you are doing this is if they do an inspection while the firearm is there. Otherwise it will appear you were doing things on the up and up.

If this ever does become an issue and the DOJ wants to go after you for it, please contact the Calguns Foundation immediately. This whole issue reeks of a lawsuit waiting to happen or at least an add on to some of our existing lawsuits. These rules are way too convoluted to be followed by your average citizen or gun dealer and what about a SKU number makes one gun legal and another not when the firearm is exactly dimensionally and functionally the same?

Dingoguns
01-19-2012, 3:05 AM
:iagree:

kemasa
01-19-2012, 7:46 AM
Why would you not just use the pull down and not provide any additional information?

Other issues is that there is a Sig P229 on the list which has a model number, but the model is for the high capacity magazine version. Also, Sig has what they call a CA version, which has a "-CA" at the end of the model number, but that is not the one on the list either:

P229R Enhanced Elite (Black) E29R-40-ESE / Stainless Steel; Alloy Pistol 3.9" .40 S&W 4/17/2012

So do you order that specific model or the 10 round magazine version or the CA version?

Of course if you have just the firearm there is no way to determine which one it is. Another example is the SAS vs. the SAS2. The old SAS is on the list, but the new SAS2 is only marked as SAS on the firearm.

Just can't wait until it goes away or I do.