PDA

View Full Version : Your input on my first handgun purchase please!

ajl2121
03-15-2007, 8:08 PM
Hello all. Initially I was leaning towards buying a glock 26 and wait for the HK 45 to become available (will the HK 45 be out in CA w/o the magazine disconnect?). Fellow members wisely advised me that it may not be the best idea to purchase a subcompact for my first pistol. I have shot about 500 rounds with various handguns (all .45 or 9mm) that I rented at the shooting range, but none were subcompact. Since I am planning on purchasing the HK 45, I am now leaning towards a 9mm also manufactured by HK. What are the main differences that I should consider between the USP 9mm and the P2000 9mm? I have also heard that new models of HK pistols are coming to market in the future, but do not want a pistol that has a magazine disconnect. Thanks all for your help.

donger
03-15-2007, 8:16 PM
I don't know about the status of the Hk45. Hopefully Hk got them in on time and we will see them on the list...again, hopefully...

But the differences between the USPc and the P2000 are:

1. P2000 comes with a better trigger. It is relatively smoother and the reset is more positive.

2. The P2000 comes with three different size backstraps to suit to your individual needs.

3. The P2000 slide appears narrower and less blocky than the USPc.

The P2000 is a refinement of the USPc, as the Hk45 is a further refinement of the P2000.

Cpl_Peters
03-16-2007, 6:53 AM
If you are looking for a 9mm get a sig P226 in 9mm. You wont be dissappointed. If you have never shot a sig, you really dont know what your missing. I personally enjoy the trigger on sigs way more then HK's because in single action they feel shorter, lighter and crisper allowing me and others i know quicker follow up shots. Also the P220 in 45 has just the same nice DA/SA trigger but also is a tack driver. Its insane how accurate the p220 out of the box is.

But if HKs are your thing and you dont want anything else then wait for the new HK45s to come out and drive the USP price further down then grab one. I might do that.

1911su16b870
03-16-2007, 9:00 AM
Go to one of the local ranges that has rental firearms. Buy their 9-mm and 45 acp ammo and try out a few of the offerings...I like both the Glock 26 and HK USP45, but then I pretty much like anything firearm related :)

ImOverHere
03-16-2007, 7:22 PM
If you are looking for a 9mm get a sig P226 in 9mm. You wont be dissappointed. If you have never shot a sig, you really dont know what your missing. I personally enjoy the trigger on sigs way more then HK's because in single action they feel shorter, lighter and crisper allowing me and others i know quicker follow up shots. Also the P220 in 45 has just the same nice DA/SA trigger but also is a tack driver. Its insane how accurate the p220 out of the box is.

But if HKs are your thing and you dont want anything else then wait for the new HK45s to come out and drive the USP price further down then grab one. I might do that.

Interesting. I own the HK .45 USP and recently bought a P220. I prefer the controls on the USP, but I've owned and shot it a lot longer. After buying the P220, I went to the range and - just going from one to the other and back again, over and over - found them to give equivalent groups (for me) at 5, 10, and 15 yards (offhand).

I believe the original poster also asked about the Glock 26, which I also own. A great gun, but I think he may find it a bit more difficult to turn in the same accuracy as a larger frame 9mm. Even though it's "only" a 9mm, it's a bit more difficult to control on rapid, follow-up shots - for me, at least.

boogak
03-16-2007, 9:30 PM
i say glock 19 or usp40 compact

Miltiades
03-17-2007, 10:22 AM
In your situation, living in CA, buying a first handgun, and with a bias toward H&K pistols, I think I would go with the H&K P2000sk in .40 caliber. My reasoning is:

1. The .40 caliber is a nice compromise between the .45 and the 9mm you are considering.

2. The larger USPs with grips accomodating 12 to 15 round magazines have wasted space in the grip in California, where you can't buy magazines over 10 rounds. The P2000sk in .40 has a standard nine round magazine.

3. If you ever carry the gun, it is easy to conceal compared to its larger H&K siblings.

I have 2 USPs (45f and 40c) and think highly of the H&K brand. If I bought a third H&K it would be the P2000sk, which I have handled but not shot.

http://www.hk-usa.com/images/products/p2000_sk/general/p2000_sk_large_left.jpg

http://www.hk-usa.com/images/products/p2000_sk/general/P2000_SK_large_rightangle.jpg

SnWnMe
03-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I wish all problems were this sweet.

I vote.... 1911.:cool:

Matt C
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
I have to say try the Sig out first as well, it really blows everything else out of the water.

markymark
03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
My suggestion is to go with a 9mm if you plan on shooting a lot because the ammo is cheaper. .40 takes some getting used to (in terms of recoil). I'd also suggest a compact (Glock 19, USP compact, HK P2000, Sig P229/228/225) if you want a gun smaller than a fullsize.

Socal858
03-17-2007, 10:41 AM
buy a 9mm. cheaper for practice

go to a range and rent everything they have. i see youve rented a lot, but it doesnt hurt to go to different places and try different offerings. buy a compact or full size, but not subcompact. you can always buy more guns in the future

sigs, yes for me, do blow everything else out of the water. i like the p220 first and foremost, and then i like the glock 19 (more so than the 1911, gasp). odd choice i know. but its something i would have never figured out by reading what guns have the neatest newest features on here or arfcom.

Corbin Dallas
03-17-2007, 11:35 AM
My suggestion is to go with a 9mm if you plan on shooting a lot because the ammo is cheaper. .40 takes some getting used to (in terms of recoil). I'd also suggest a compact (Glock 19, USP compact, HK P2000, Sig P229/228/225) if you want a gun smaller than a fullsize.

I'm with Mark on the ammo and recoil. I love my 40 and won't give it up, but it's much easier to shoot the 9mm.

I vote Glock 19, however I am biased as I own 3 glocks now, soon to be 4. Also, if you ask almost anyone that has fired a number of weapons, what would they use if their life depended on the weapon firing each and every time no matter what the circumstances, most would say "glock". Sure, they are plastic and loose like a AK, but they do what they were designed to.

I'll post up my experience with my new Steyr M1A once I get some range time on it.

Matt C
03-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I vote Glock 19, however I am biased as I own 3 glocks now, soon to be 4. Also, if you ask almost anyone that has fired a number of weapons, what would they use if their life depended on the weapon firing each and every time no matter what the circumstances, most would say "glock". Sure, they are plastic and loose like a AK, but they do what they were designed to.

I guess I'm outside almost anyone, since I have personally seen two glocks explode in the shooters face. Never neen that happen with a beretta or a sig...

WokMaster1
03-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I guess I'm outside almost anyone, since I have personally seen two glocks explode in the shooters face. Never neen that happen with a beretta or a sig...

Did you find out what happened with the glocks? lead ammo, hot reloads, etc. Just curious.

I've seen glock 17s after hot reload with lead bullets gone thru them. I was shown around the factory in Smryna, GA by a neighbor who worked there. Barrel did not explode but was cracked & the slide assembly was blown off the frame. Just a very humbling sight!

maxicon
03-17-2007, 2:09 PM
A lot of the Glock blowups happen on the larger calibers and are attributed to a poorly supported chamber at the feed ramp. 9mm Glocks are better supported, and blowups are a lot less common, I understand.

I'd also recommend going 9mm for a first gun, both for price and recoil. The recoil on .40 is definitely sharper, and I find it a lot less pleasant. .45 is more fun to shoot than .40 for me, but is even more expensive.

You'll want to get lots of regular practice in, and for both ammo costs and recoil, less is more.

When I test-drive new guns, it's usually pretty clear which ones fit me the best, as I can get smaller groups time after time with trying so hard.

Super_tactical
03-17-2007, 2:24 PM
I have an H&K USPc in .40, a Glock 26, and an XD-9, and several 1911s.

My advice would be, go to the range and shoot several guns. I don't think that the G26 is a good starter if that will be your only pistol. G19 would be a better bet. You have to shoot a few guns to findout what feels best. H&K is great, XD is great, so is Glock and 1911s. All have a VERY DIFFERENT feel to them. I almost bought a Sigpro until I shot one...bleh. I almost bought a G17, until I fired one. Don't base your decision on what anyone here says is the best pistol. There really is no best pistol...other than the 1911. :D

Go try some and report back.

BTW: I have seen 2 Glocks have case failer. One was shooting hot reloads, one was shooting lead ammo. Just don't shoot either of those and you'll be fine. Glock explicitely says not to anyways.

Corbin Dallas
03-17-2007, 2:33 PM

I've never seen any glock blow up, but I guess I'm lucky. I run a KKM barrel in my 40 and I use FMJ 180 reloads. For home defense I use my stock barrel and BH JHP 180's.

Really it comes down to preference and what fits your hand as mentioned before.

Guns don't just blow up, there is something else that causes the problem.

krazek
03-17-2007, 2:41 PM

me too. the only accidents i've ever seen are with glocks. its kinda scary..

xjrat
03-17-2007, 3:27 PM
:D I to am new to the hand gun world, I just bought my first one in december.
I went with the Steyr M40-A1. I couldn't be happier with anything else.
From the moment you hold it, it just feels good. The grip is awesome. The sights are a little hard to get used to but once you do you will shoot great.

I vote steyr, and if you are near the Ventura area let me know and I would be GLAD to let you try it...

Matt C
03-17-2007, 3:35 PM
Did you find out what happened with the glocks? lead ammo, hot reloads, etc. Just curious.

Both times it was factory ammo, the first was in 2003 at the Law Enforcement Torch Run Combat Pistol Match (in Roanoke VA). The ammo was winchester ranger. The gun was supposedly only a few months old with less than 2k rounds through it. The second was my buddy who was shooting Blazer (crap ammo admittedly) out in the desert.

As always, YMMV, but I would never fire a Glock again, let alone use one for self defense.

ns3v3n
03-17-2007, 3:54 PM
people will tell you Hk are fine pistols, but i have a different opinion about it, i had a hk usp compact in .40s&w. it fits my hand well, until i fired it. it's very uncomfortable for some reason. and the first trigger pull felt like 20lbs. i end up selling it after 2 months or so. but hey, it might be different for you. if you do decide on a hk, go for the regular size, it's not that much bigger and it should feel better in your hand. but as for me, no more, as for any other polymer guns out there.

Cela9mm
04-19-2007, 2:45 PM
Glocks are really nice solid guns but i would suggest a G17 over the G26 unless you have a need for a subcompact. The G19 is a really nice gun too and still compact its just a little bigger than the G26.

gn3hz3ku1*
04-19-2007, 2:56 PM
get a 40 XD so you can also shoot 9mm if you get the extra barrel... i think this also works for glocks?

mike100
04-19-2007, 2:58 PM
I sold my glock and hi-caps back in the day to get a Colt gov't model (1911). It was that much sweeter shooting. I see glocks shot amazingly well at matches and all that, but it wasn't for me.

go ahead and get the glock and then later get something cooler. At least you'll have something to take to a tupperware party.

oghl888
04-19-2007, 3:41 PM
No one recommended a .22 for a first handgun??? I must be getting old ;)
I usually recommend a .22 LR for a starter handgun. In this case (assuming you really want a subcompact), I would recommend getting a subcompact 9mm or 45, but with a .22 conversion kit added to it.

proraptor
04-19-2007, 5:25 PM
Id go XD...

kilword
04-19-2007, 5:48 PM
CZ-75.....good ol metal gun
plastic bah!
*looks over at my glock*
don't mind that :P

Spicy McHaggis
04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello all. Initially I was leaning towards buying a glock 26 and wait for the HK 45 to become available (will the HK 45 be out in CA w/o the magazine disconnect?). Fellow members wisely advised me that it may not be the best idea to purchase a subcompact for my first pistol. I have shot about 500 rounds with various handguns (all .45 or 9mm) that I rented at the shooting range, but none were subcompact. Since I am planning on purchasing the HK 45, I am now leaning towards a 9mm also manufactured by HK. What are the main differences that I should consider between the USP 9mm and the P2000 9mm? I have also heard that new models of HK pistols are coming to market in the future, but do not want a pistol that has a magazine disconnect. Thanks all for your help.

Sounds like you have made up your mind on the HKs for your first handguns. Good choice! I have the HK USPc .40 and love it. Get whatever feels best in your hand, whether it's full size or compact. I have big hands, but the compact fits perfectly. Choose whatever caliber you like best. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot, but the 40 has better stopping power. The P2000SK doesn't come in .45, but the USPc does. If the HK45 won't be available in CA, then you can always get the USPc45 or even the USPf45. Good luck finding these guns at the range. I don't know many ranges that have a full selection HKs to choose from.

PistolPete75
04-19-2007, 10:26 PM
i like hk and sigs alot, although i recommend shooting 9mm first. rent a sig 226 or 229 in 9mm. controling a 9mm is much easier. shooting .45 right off the bat might be too much recoil for a first gun. then go buy your hk usp .45 fullsize...it's an awesome gun. never had an issue with my .45 usp.

kick Z tail out
04-20-2007, 5:55 AM
I have a Sig P220 with ITI M3 tac light. It was my first handgun and I love it.

I still have the burning desire to add a H&K USP 45 to my collection... But I definitely want to find one to rent before I make such a big $$ purchase.

You get what you pay for, that's for sure. I already knew the P220 was great, I'd been shooting my dad's for a long time before buying this one new in 2001. Sucks though, it's got plenty of holster wear because it's been my work gun for the last 4 years. :o But it's still my baby.

:D You can see my P220 among a few of my other toys in these pics:

http://i13.tinypic.com/2ppx11j.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/4gyd0f5.jpg

mblat
04-20-2007, 7:15 AM
First gun in 9mm?

It HAS to be cz75b. Best gun for the money. All you need to do is to change 2 springs and put 500 rounds down the line to smooth trigger out. After that this gun will be almost as good as anything Sig or HK can provide.

True Brit
04-20-2007, 7:17 AM
Pick up an HK P7M8 or maybe a P7M13...nice and compact and 9mm is cheap to shoot. Buy it once and enjoy for a lifetime.

Greenspartan117
04-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Pick up an HK P7M8 or maybe a P7M13...nice and compact and 9mm is cheap to shoot. Buy it once and enjoy for a lifetime.

After you drop about $1000+ for it :-P both are nice pistols, but man, for that much... I could get a Sig P210 :-P

First gun.... hmm... Mine is a XD-45 Service, Second one I got was a Sig P225, Thrid (picking up Monday) is a Sig P220 (CPO), Forth is a Sig P226 (picking that up 30 days after the P220)...

:-D I like my XD = durable, beatable and accurate, Sig = amazing feeling gun. :-)

And to think I was going to get a Glock... Might still get one some day.

hkuspc40
04-20-2007, 11:53 PM
You question leads me to believe you're set on getting an HK. Great choice! With regards to the advantages of a USP Compact or P2000 in 9mm, check out donger's reply to your question (he's the first to reply), and add:

-USP Compact in v1 allows you to carry cocked and locked
- Popular P2000 configurations include SA/DA and DAO whereas the popular config for USPCs is SA/DA

I have never handled a P2000 before, so cannot comment on it. I have however picked up the P2000sk, and the feel of the grip is superior to my USP 9mm Compact in SS. Ergonomics are very improved on the P2000.

I thought about purchasing a P2000 in 9mm a couple of months ago, but never went through w/ it. Instead, I ended up purchasing one P7M8 last month, and DROSing another one tomorrow! Got bitten by the P7 bug and all the hype about it not being imported any longer made me justify the buys!

There is NOTHING like the P7 family! Sigs and Glocks are great guns, and I shoot IPSC w/ my SIG P226 due to the high cap factor, but personally, it's nothing to drool over or admire.

I totally support your preference and agree w/ True Brit, and if not P7's, I'd encourage you to go w/ 9mm with either the USPC or P2000. Why 9mm? Because if its good enough for the NATO forces (9mm or .45), I'm sure its good enough for urban environments! Good luck!