PDA

View Full Version : Low Recoil Buckshot?

Cato
03-15-2007, 7:26 PM
Are there any negatives to using this stuff for home defense? I know it would make follow up shots easier and help one manage the situation of a bad guy in the home. I bought some Federal Power Shok low recoil and some Winchester Supreme Hi velocity. Anyone feel the Low Recoil isn't enough? Part of me feels that if I'm in the unfortunate position of shooting a bad guy in my home, I might as well SHOOT the scum. I dont know, what are you opinions? Low Recoil or Hi velocity?

phod330
03-15-2007, 7:32 PM
A 2 3/4 inch 00 Low Recoil Buck shot will do plenty damage to the bad guy, I don't think he will be getting up after one shot to COM. I use Federal Tactical Low Recoil 2 3/4 00 Buck in my shotty.

DANGERCLOSE
03-15-2007, 9:18 PM
there are only positives. depending on which shotgun you own, depends on the ammo. i use the federal tactical low recoil with my mossberg and its the best to use. winchester ammo is better in remingtons. or so i have heard. i have a m590a1 with a 20 inch barrel. on range testing, i have found that the federal load keeps a tight spread. at 25 yards the spread was like 13 inches. i was able to keep all the pellets center mass on the target. of course i have ghost ring sights too. with regular buckshot loads, i could only keep about half the pellets on target. i think its great stuff. i think it would be effective for self defense.

xenophobe
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Yes, the Federal Low Recoil 00 is an excellent self defense round, not too much penetration and recoil, very manageable, excellent stopping power.

Matt C
03-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Personally I would get a few low recoil rounds (ranger a federal would be a good start) and pattern them on paper. You will be surprised at the difference, pick which one works best for your gun.

ibbryn
03-16-2007, 8:51 AM
Blackwater has good advice, test it out and see how it patterns.

I want my weapons set up so my wife can use them also, so lo recoil is the way to go.