View Full Version : Soviet Made Rifles made for steel caseings?

03-15-2007, 7:21 PM
in the past year i have had two failures with a Chinese SKS and a Cali legal Romy "G" AK-47. in both cases i was using PMC brass casing 7.62 x 39 ammo. and both sheered off the neck of the casing in the chamber. in order to fix the problem i needed to purchess a stuck case puller (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=972&title=STUCK+CASE+PULLER). my question is, are all soviet made rifles made to shoot steel casing rounds? (ie: wolf, silver bear, ect..) because the brass is to soft to shoot out of those chambers??

03-15-2007, 7:25 PM
brass should be fine. might want to check headspace. maybe the brass was weak in that lot.

03-15-2007, 7:30 PM
You need to check your head spasing, or you have some sort of another problem with your firearms. Yes, Russians (Soviets) were making their battle ammo steel cased, but that steel is not much harder than brass. When I was in the army in 1981-1983, we were using some S&B brass cased ammo and out of thousands of rounds I didn't have any malfunctions. All Russian AK barrels, and most of the barrels on AKs of Warsaw Pact armies are chrome lined, barrel and chamber.

Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck
03-15-2007, 9:57 PM
I don't think so. I certainly haven't had any problems with my SKS. If anything, I'd think brass would be less prone than steel to have the neck break off.