PDA

View Full Version : OLL build upper / forearm question

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-15-2007, 4:56 PM
I'm eyeballing the "Specter Four Rail Free Float Kits" sold by Yankee Hill http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearmkits.html. Would it make sense to buy a complete upper from somewhere, then remove the forearm and gas block and things like that to put these on, then what, sell the parts left over? Or does it make more sense to buy the upper, buy the barrell, buy the forearm, etc and assemble it all together? I'm not even sure which way would be more expensive, but the 2nd way seems like more work for assembly. And I have no experience doing any kind of headspacing or anything like that.

Prc329
03-15-2007, 5:15 PM
That's what I usually do. Sell the old stuff. BTW, I have a spector length light weight rail for sale in the sale forum.

Taz77
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
In the end, it might actually be more costly for you to buy all the individual parts and assemble it together. I haven't found one single store that had all the parts I wanted. You'll end up paying extra for shipping... buying the barrel you want from one place... buying the forearm from another... buying the upper and parts from another...etc. The shipping really adds up fast.

Another thing for you to consider is that since you've never put one together yourself, would you know where all the parts go? Diagrams help a little, but they don't give you the much detail on how to assemble the parts. Bushmaster's dvd shows you how to assemble a lower but has next to no info on assembling an upper. Ar15.com's tutorial pretty much is the same. There's just not that much information on how to assemble an upper.

If you bought the upper assembled and disassembled it yourself, you'd at least know how all the parts are supposed to come together. Ar15.com does have a tutorial on how to change the forearms that you should check out.

m1371
03-17-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm eyeballing the "Specter Four Rail Free Float Kits" sold by Yankee Hill http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearmkits.html. Would it make sense to buy a complete upper from somewhere, then remove the forearm and gas block and things like that to put these on, then what, sell the parts left over? Or does it make more sense to buy the upper, buy the barrell, buy the forearm, etc and assemble it all together? I'm not even sure which way would be more expensive, but the 2nd way seems like more work for assembly. And I have no experience doing any kind of headspacing or anything like that.

El cheapo option #1 :
Factory Installation Available
FREE installation is available on all YHM products. Some restrictions apply, call or write for details.

El cheapo option #2 : Buy the bits & pieces you want and find someone local to do the work for you.

Option #3 : But the upper you want with the forearm already installed.