PDA

View Full Version : Shipping firearm to out of state FFL...

alfalfa
01-08-2012, 8:52 PM
If I (a private party/non-FFL) want to sell/ship a handgun to an out of state FFL, do I have to ship it through a CA FFL and fill out any paperwork? Or can I simply ship it to the out of state FFL via FedEx or UPS myself?

ke6guj
01-08-2012, 9:04 PM
If I (a private party/non-FFL) want to sell/ship a handgun to an out of state FFL, do I have to ship it through a CA FFL and fill out any paperwork? Or can I simply ship it to the out of state FFL via FedEx or UPS myself?in bold. that is all the law requires. but the out-of-state FFL might have a personal company policy to only accept shipments from other FFLs, so check first.

alfalfa
01-08-2012, 9:10 PM
Thanks!

tenpercentfirearms
01-09-2012, 5:25 AM
I just updated this in the FFL FAQ. Scroll down to post #8 and it is the second question.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=454627

Also be aware if you are sending a handgun out of state, you will probably want to fill out the Notice of No Longer in Possession of a Handgun Form (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf).

kemasa
01-09-2012, 9:05 AM
I believe that the question was in regards to shipping OUT of CA, not into CA.

As said, unless the FFL receiving the firearm has a policy to not accept shipment from a non-FFL, you can ship it directly, but can not use USPS. In some cases it can be cheaper to ship it through a FFL since a FFL can use USPS, which is often much cheaper, but you have to include the fee that the FFL would charge. If you ship it, UPS & FedEx want it shipped overnight.

tenpercentfirearms
01-09-2012, 2:19 PM

And my quote still answers that. Check that link and there is a BATFE FAQ that clearly outlines that a private individual can ship firearms to an FFL.

kemasa
01-09-2012, 4:10 PM
And my quote still answers that. Check that link and there is a BATFE FAQ that clearly outlines that a private individual can ship firearms to an FFL.

You mean the question:

Can I as a private party ship a firearm directly into California?

All of the questions and the thread deals with shipping into CA. While some of it still applies, it could be confusing.

Yes, the person could go to the referenced post and then to the BATF FAQ and find the information.

tenpercentfirearms
01-09-2012, 9:14 PM
You mean the question:

All of the questions and the thread deals with shipping into CA. While some of it still applies, it could be confusing.

Yes, the person could go to the referenced post and then to the BATF FAQ and find the information.

Hence me specifically stating to scroll down to question #8 and stating use the BATFE FAQ. Again, I answered the question.

GunsAndAmmoGirl
01-10-2012, 5:16 PM

As said, unless the FFL receiving the firearm has a policy to not accept shipment from a non-FFL, you can ship it directly, but can not use USPS. In some cases it can be cheaper to ship it through a FFL since a FFL can use USPS, which is often much cheaper, but you have to include the fee that the FFL would charge. If you ship it, UPS & FedEx want it shipped overnight.

My local USPS wouldn't let me, an FFL, ship a handgun. Said only rifles. Hmmm...I thought I could use USPS?

kemasa
01-10-2012, 5:51 PM
If you are a FFL, fill out form 1508 and you can ship a handgun. If your local post office has a problem, call the 800 number and complain.

Non-FFLs can only ship long guns USPS.