PDA

View Full Version : Removing the good old M1A operating rod

Sander77
03-15-2007, 1:25 PM
Hi all,

Even though I've had my M1A for quite awhile now, I feel like I haven't yet mastered the art of getting the operating rod out without a healthy does of luck and a few expletives.

I have a couple other firearms that have something tricky about the disassembly/reassembly, but in all other cases, after you've done it a few times, it starts to get easy.

When it comes to that M1A operating rod, though, sometimes it pops right out, and sometimes it fights me for 15 minutes without budging. And I still can't figure out exactly what I'm doing right when it works, or doing wrong when it doesn't...

I think my real question is whether this is the case with most people. Or does everyone else just pop it out as easily as the bolt?

Anyone have a "trick" to do it that seems to work for them consistently?

thanks!

30Cal
03-15-2007, 1:35 PM
Align the tab on the oprod with the dismount notch
pull up on the oprod handle
Use a screwdriver between the oprod hump and the receiver. Just a little pressure will pop it out (per Duff's M14 Owner's Guide). Use electrical tape if you are worried about the finish, but I've done it a dozen times without and it doesn't hurt.

Ty

P.S--If the oprod guide is way out of alignment, even the screwdriver won't work--found that out last month.

Sander77
03-15-2007, 1:43 PM
Ah-ha... great, I'll give that one a try... thx

adamsreeftank
03-15-2007, 1:44 PM
I have two M1As. One just pops right out every time. The other I have to wrestle with. If you look at the square protrusion on the op rod, it will probably have nice sharp corners that may be catching in a shallow groove in the op rod lug channel.

A friend of mine had his op rod come loose and disengage from his bolt. I'd rather have one too tight than too loose. (That didn't sound right)