PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for carrying mags as Chabot Tactical Rifle?

Sander77
03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi all,

My first official post. Can't believe it took me so long to find this site!

So I was interested in trying out the Tactical Rifle shoot next month at Chabot with my M1A standard.

I've had the rifle for quite awhile, but have never really done much besides plink with it...

I just read a great earlier post with tons of info, but had a couple more questions of my own...

About carrying mags during the event... Is it one of those things where everybody just goes with whatever they feel most comfortable with? So "mag in the jeans pocket" works just as well as mil-spec double-mag carriers on tactical vests?

Also, I couldn't quite tell from the other post how many mags to bring, or how many mag changes to expect in the average course.

Thanks!

3GunFunShooter
03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
3 Gun Gear makes a drop leg pouch for the 308 mags.
and it can be easily detached from belt, if shooting another stage
that you don't need it for. I use one with my .223, especially if it is
a prone stage. Easier to grab mag off of leg than belt when prone.

Sander77
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Right, good advice on the prone position...

Funny thing is I actually already have some good mag pouches that I like (from Tactical Tailor) - I'm just trying to figure out what part of my body to attach them to...

Tac Tailor also sells a drop-leg MOLLE panel. Might take your advice and just go with that...

shooterx10
03-15-2007, 1:19 PM
http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/bh-511402bk.jpg

This one is under $30 and is made by Blackhawk. Here is the link: http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3352.php

grywlfbg
03-15-2007, 2:50 PM
As for number of mags needed - any one stage is VERY rarely over 30 rounds (I haven't seen one yet but i've only done 2 matches) but mandatory mag changes are sometimes required so I would be prepared to carry 2 mags plus one in the gun. The nice thing about Chabot matches is you can have that third mag in your hand as you approach the stage so you only need mag pouches for 2.

I also use the drop-leg and dual-mag setup from 3gungear.com:
http://3gungear.com/Pages/Rifle.html Which allows me to have pistol mags on my belt once I graduate to full 3-gun matches. However I would recommend ordering it from dillonprecision.com as Mark can be pretty slow w/ shipping.

That being said, I would "run what you brung" for your first match. At Chabot you'll see everything from jeans w/ a cheap fanny pack to full on mall-ninja tacticool setups w/ vests and everything in between. Everyone I've met has been willing to talk about their setups. So ask questions of people, watch people run the stages and try to get an idea of what works and what doesn't. Also, if your SO allows it, practice mag changes w/ your setup at home prior to the match. You can easily spend a fortune on gear and there's a lot of stuff that looks cool on the web page and sucks in real life.

So just come on out. I came in dead last my first match - it'll really help you learn what you don't know :)

Sander77
03-15-2007, 4:06 PM
Hey grywlfbg,

Thanks for the advice...

LOL - yeah, it sounds like the event is pretty beginner-friendly. Thanks for admitting your last place finish, though. That actually makes me much less nervous about starting.

I've done some tactical pistol and shotgun classes, but nothing with a rifle. And I've actually never done "competitive" shooting, either. So it's brand new for me on a couple fronts.

But I'm definitely excited to check it out. I'm hoping to take the first one slow and safe, come in dead last, and have a hell of a great time!

guimus
03-15-2007, 4:44 PM
I had a blast at the last tactical shoot (my first) and will likely be at the next one too. It's about as non-competitive as a competitive shooting event can be, which is nice because it makes everyone friendly and welcoming.

For my first shoot I was wearing sneakers and jeans with extra mags tossed into various pockets. I managed to finish in the top 1/2 of the SA division, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter too much.

M. Sage
03-15-2007, 6:45 PM
Some of the "old guard" shooters will suggest you try it without the incidental gear first to get an idea what will work. Not that I'd use that as a reason not to buy tacticool toys. :D They're always fun.

If you've already got some different mag holders, I'd say bring a selection and that way you can try a few different ways out.

Clodbuster
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't even think of it as a competetive event. Scoring is more for personal reference for when you go out next time to see if you improved. No prizes/awards here. Just go out, take your time, be safe, and have fun. I've been going out for years (when there were only 3~4 people showing up), and don't even care about the scores anymore.

If you have jeans with deep pockets to put your mags in, then that's good enough. Try running around at home with a fully loaded magazine in your pocket, and if it doesn't fall out, or feel uncomfortable, you're good to go.

Clod

Hey grywlfbg,

Thanks for the advice...

LOL - yeah, it sounds like the event is pretty beginner-friendly. Thanks for admitting your last place finish, though. That actually makes me much less nervous about starting.

I've done some tactical pistol and shotgun classes, but nothing with a rifle. And I've actually never done "competitive" shooting, either. So it's brand new for me on a couple fronts.

But I'm definitely excited to check it out. I'm hoping to take the first one slow and safe, come in dead last, and have a hell of a great time!

AlohaM4
03-20-2007, 9:30 PM
You should also try to go to the PPC which is held on the second sunday of every month to help you prepare for the 3-gun:)
Hi all,

My first official post. Can't believe it took me so long to find this site!

So I was interested in trying out the Tactical Rifle shoot next month at Chabot with my M1A standard.

I've had the rifle for quite awhile, but have never really done much besides plink with it...

I just read a great earlier post with tons of info, but had a couple more questions of my own...

About carrying mags during the event... Is it one of those things where everybody just goes with whatever they feel most comfortable with? So "mag in the jeans pocket" works just as well as mil-spec double-mag carriers on tactical vests?

Also, I couldn't quite tell from the other post how many mags to bring, or how many mag changes to expect in the average course.

Thanks!

Sander77
03-21-2007, 8:09 AM
Thanks for advice - now I really can't wait to go!

grywlfbg
03-22-2007, 9:32 AM
I talked to Dan Adair (guy who runs tac pistol) and he said that with the rise in attendance they're talking about doing it every month like they do tac pistol. I've been meaning to send Scott a note about designing a stage anyway so I'll ask him.

guimus
03-22-2007, 10:16 AM
every month would be great! It's hard waiting two months for these things, especially with new toys to try out.

Sander77
03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread... I had a follow up question to my original post...

Do people usually drop their empty mags on the ground then pick them up after the stage? Or do a lot of people stuff them in drop pouches or back pockets?

Or, as seems to be the trend, can you just do whatever feels best for you? :)

guimus
03-22-2007, 1:59 PM
a few folks put mags in pouches or pockets, most drop them on the ground and pick them up later (or more likely, other folks on that stage will pick up the mags and any ejected live ammo while the stage is being scored and give them to the shooter.)

grywlfbg
03-22-2007, 3:08 PM
I guess it kind of depends if you're a "gamer" (someone who's out to score the highest in a competition) or if you're trying to be as "realistic" as possible.

If you're just trying to score as high as possible, drop the mags. However, in the "real world" you may not have a truck or helicopter to drop you a crate of ammo and new mags. So you may want to retain those mags for later refilling.

A middle of the road option is to retain mags w/ ammo still in them (most people will chastise you if you drop mags w/ rounds still in them) and drop ones that are empty (this is what I do). The first scenario may happen as sometimes you are forced to do reloads at different points in the stage regardless of your ammo capacity.

So again, in that case, if you're a gamer, you would only load the exact number of rounds needed before each mag change and then drop the empty mag. This is much faster than retaining.

All that to say, for your first couple times, just drop the mag. Don't want you fishing around trying to find your pocket or whatever and possibly swinging the rifle around. You'll have enough to think about.

M. Sage
03-22-2007, 6:26 PM
All that to say, for your first couple times, just drop the mag. Don't want you fishing around trying to find your pocket or whatever and possibly swinging the rifle around. You'll have enough to think about.

I agree with that. It's actually a bit more intense than it seems like it would be when you step onto a stage the first time.

Clodbuster
03-22-2007, 8:46 PM
Just drop the mag. Make sure it's on the dirt though. Haven't had a mag break yet.

Easy enough to pick up afterwards during the scoring phase. And if someone tries to run away with them....your're the only one with a rifle ready to go hot :D

Clod

At the risk of hi-jacking my own thread... I had a follow up question to my original post...

Do people usually drop their empty mags on the ground then pick them up after the stage? Or do a lot of people stuff them in drop pouches or back pockets?

Or, as seems to be the trend, can you just do whatever feels best for you? :)

Dont Tread on Me
03-31-2007, 8:35 PM
Hi Sander77

Chabot Tac rifle are really friendly matches.

My advice would be to just use you pockets for your first match and check out what other people are using. I wasted a fair bit of money figuring out the best way to carry mags and the right brand of mag carrier.

If you cannot wait I'd suggest the blade-tech belt mag holder.

As for dropping mags, I'm in the retain them camp. As grywlfbg eluded to, in a Katrina type situation you won't be getting resupplied. I use a "Jack Bauer" bag as it is low profile.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=453

I'll be working on the public line during the match. Stop by and say Hi if you get the chance.

oaklander
03-31-2007, 9:13 PM
I've done 3 tac-rifle matches so far - and they are really fun!!!

The main thing is *safety first.*

I've steadily improved my score each time (in the Dec 06 match - I was 5th out of 12). One thing I learned is that speed is important (but again - safety first!).

To prepare for my first match, I practiced shooting from the sitting, standing and prone positions on the public lines (I can't kneel due to a bad leg, otherwise I would have practiced that position too).

I also practiced at home with an *empty* (checked it three times, and one more time) rifle. I would practice transitioning from standing to sitting to prone positions, focusing on muzzle control.

The nice thing is that you can "run what you brung" - so I use my M1 Carbine. As far as mag pouches, I use a WWII Yugo Mauser mag pouch - it holds 4 USGI Carbine mags. I also wear shooting gloves and long pants and a long sleeved shirt. I don't have a lot of money - so I look somewhat like a thrift-store commando - but I have fun and nobody cares what you wear.

It's a good group that comes to these things, everyone is very supportive.

The main thing is *safety* - so don't be afraid to ask questions. After safety, the second most important thing is fun - and there's lots of that!!!