PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions: Sales limits, AR15 upper, UZI Parts

Hilldweller
01-08-2012, 2:52 PM
Pardon me, I've searched by want specific answers and although I believe I've found some answers I still have doubts. So here goes....

1. I have an opportunity to purchase an original ('80's) Colt AR15 sportster complete upper. It has a 16" barrel but measures 18" with the removable flash suppressor. It does have the bayonet lug as well. Is this legal to own in California?

2. The person also has a sportster collapsible stock, full size stock, and various internal and external parts for an original Colt lower. Will these fit the new lowers that you can buy and ship to California? Will they accept the original upper?

3. I've sold some firearms here and want to ensure I stay above board on the number of sales. Are sales (PPT) based on the calendar year or 1 year from first sale? (I sold my limit in the latter half of 2011 and would like to sell the remainder I have)

4. Are original UZI parts (bbl, grip/trigger assembly, bolt & firing pin, top, etc) [no lower] legal to own in California. I'm considering purchasing some if they're legal so I can build a kit gun. Anyone know if they'll fit the lower kits that I've seen for sale?

Thanks for your patience.

nick
01-08-2012, 3:24 PM
1. Yes, it's an upper, not a lower. If you intend to keep the flash hider, your finished rifle will need a maglock though. Bayonet lug is irrelevant to CA laws on centerfire rifles.

2. Yes, they should. I don't remember when Colt introduced the large hole uppers, but even if this upper's one of those, there're pins that accommodate them with the regular lowers.

3. There's only a limit on handguns, and I don't believe it's strictly enforced, unless you show a pattern of reselling them. Also, it's a limit on a number of transactions selling handguns, not handguns.

4. Yes, they are. You'll need to modify the FA parts, of course, and I'd get rid of the FA parts that you aren't going to modify. I don't think having them without something to put them into triggers constructive possession, but I like playing it safe, our laws and governments being what they are.

Everything above is my opinion, and I hope I'm not spreading FUD. If I am, I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Hilldweller
01-08-2012, 4:06 PM
4. Yes, they are. You'll need to modify the FA parts, of course, and I'd get rid of the FA parts that you aren't going to modify. I don't think having them without something to put them into triggers constructive possession, but I like playing it safe, our laws and governments being what they are.

FA Parts??? I understood him to say it was a carbine. 16" bbl, bolt with separate firing pin/spring assembly, two station sear (safe/fire). Looks like semi-auto carbine parts to me.

nick
01-08-2012, 5:49 PM

FA Parts??? I understood him to say it was a carbine. 16" bbl, bolt with separate firing pin/spring assembly, two station sear (safe/fire). Looks like semi-auto carbine parts to me.

Well, I'm not a mindreader :) If there're no FA parts, this makes it even easier.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-08-2012, 6:10 PM
3. I've sold some firearms here and want to ensure I stay above board on the number of sales. Are sales (PPT) based on the calendar year or 1 year from first sale? (I sold my limit in the latter half of 2011 and would like to sell the remainder I have)

It's per calendar year. You could do five transactions (of any number of handguns per transaction) in December and then five more transactions in January of the next year.