PDA

View Full Version : SU-16 Upgrades...

rich9644
03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Hello all! First post here.

First off, I did a search but didn't find anything related to what i'm looking for. I would like to know if anyone has upgrade their SU-16's (I own a CA model) with any aftermarket parts that might make the rifle more durable. So far, the only thing I know of that will work are Magazines, AR-15 type extractors, and certain muzzle breaks. Is there something I'm missing here?

What do you guys suggest that I replace or add to my rifle? SO far, I have a bushmaster extractor and an aimpoint. Any prefered muzzle breaks?

Advice would be appreciated. THanks!

-Rich

Full Clip
03-15-2007, 6:28 AM
Sounds like you have made the two most important additions.
For muzzle breaks, I went with this Miculek model:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=942876

Pic added:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-3/981624/IMGP3931sm.jpg

The Soup Nazi
03-15-2007, 6:52 AM
If you don't want to deal with the handguard-bipod combination anymore, theres this:

http://keltec.ewdcheckout.com/images/compactforend.jpg
If you want a real life example, heres me with one with the compact foreend and a longer pin with a ring so you can easily fold in half:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d123/WiseBobo/IMG_0209.jpg

Toolbox X
03-15-2007, 9:20 AM
The best advise I can give you is DON'T SHOOT STEEL CASED AMMO through your SU-16.

Brass cases expand in the chamber to seal it from the gasses that go down the barrel. Steel cases do not expand and those gases will go backwards into the chamber and gum it up. The chamber of the SU-16 is not chrome lined. This is where most of the SU-16 failure to extract problems come from.

You would also be wise to religiously and thoroughly clean your chamber after every shoot.

The Bushmaster extractor is very important. Good job. Also make sure you replace the extractor spring and insert (you want a black insert, not blue).

You will want to keep a spare firing pin or two around. They are prone to breaking and it sucks to find yourself at the range unable to shoot because yours just broke.

KTOG.org has a great forum, just try keep in mind they are a tad biased towards the SU-16.

Good luck. I hope your rifle works well for you!

-Grant

1911su16b870
03-15-2007, 10:21 AM
I run my SU16B with an eotech 552 as is. I have the Keltec aftermarket handguard, but do not think the stock handguard is bad. FWIW the Keltec magazines will not fit into the AR, due to the plastic guide bars that allow them to be placed in the SU16 butt.

DirtySanchez
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I wish there was a replacement stock that was solid instead of hollow for the mags.

That would be cool.

Wildhawk66
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
http://i15.tinypic.com/307magn.jpg

Bayonet??! :D :eek:

Actually, I wouldn't recommend it, but you can check out this link if your interested.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=105;action=display;num=1170219325

LECTRIKHED
03-15-2007, 2:10 PM
Awesome, that's my rifle above. Doesn't my carpet look nice. Now if my cats would just stop pissing on it.

rich9644
03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Actually, I forgot to mention that I already installed the Compact Foregrip.

The Soup Nazi-
I have the Bushmaster Extractor on hand but I haven't installed it yet. I noticed that it comes with a Blue Spacer thing with a spring. How do I get the Black one that you mentioned?

For everyone- thanks for chimming in. I'm currently in the proccess of trying to locate some of the 10 round 30rnd body Magazines but everyone who carries them seems to be out. Any info on these?

-Rich
-Rich

rich9644
03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Another question (I hope you guys don't mind helping me out with this one)-

1) As mentioned in another thread, I took my SU-16 CA out to the range today. I was shooting at 50 yards from the bench position (similar range set-up to Soup Nazi's in his photo above). Accuracy wasn't that good (please don't bash me yet- I'm new to rifles :( ...). Groupings were up to 6". This was using the stock sights. A friend of mine who did all that "super-cool, ninja sniper, training" stuff with the USMC, shot the rifle and had better results, but the accuracy of the rifle still didn't impress me.
My question is- how accurate do you guys find this gun? And at what ranges? Is my accuracy problem associated with using the stock sights and not a scoped sight?

2) Let me reiterate- I am new to rifles. The same friend zeroed my rifle at an indoor range that had a maxium length of 25 yards. Groupings were up to 2". At this range, the POI is a little above were I'm aiming at. The funny thing is, the rear sight adjustment is pushed all the way to the left. Why is that? Is it because the stock rear sight is crappy? When I centered the adjustment ( to make the rear sight appear more centered in comparison to the length of the rifle body) , the POI was all the way right to where I was initally aiming at. Is something wrong with my rifle? Would another BUIS (like Knights Arm., or GG&G) work better?

3) Does anyone make an upgraded barrel for Kel-Tec's? Something that would improve accuracy?

TIA for any advice.

-Rich

Richie Rich
03-18-2007, 9:23 AM
I have a YHM brake on mine as well as the compact forend from Kel Tec. I ditched the factory mags and use 10/20 bushmasters and my USGI 30s.
Have not replaced the extractor yet, as mine is not being problematic.

Some have replaced the CA models angled bolt handle with the one off of other SU models (it is round and I believe metal as opposed the plastic angled part on the CA).

I have thought about making a filler part to cover the mag storage area in the buttstock but have not done anything about it yet.

FYI, if you have any std cap mags, you can store a 30rnd in the buttstock...

24_minutes_to_1000
03-18-2007, 9:29 AM
Awesome, that's my rifle above. Doesn't my carpet look nice. Now if my cats would just stop pissing on it.

You have a bayonet, what's the problem? :)

shark92651
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I put a Clonepoint red-dot scope on mine so I really don't have much experience with the irons (plastics?) You can get one of these on eBay for around $30 -80 depending on mount. Your large groups are probably due to your inexperience with shooting - you will improve with time. A magnified scope will probably help if you want to go that route. You need to learn breathing techniques, proper trigger techniques, etc... But also keep in mind that the SU-16 is not a super-accurate rifle to begin with. You can get decent groups but do not expect to get AR style accuracy. What ammo are you using?

Unless Kel-Tec offers different barrels in the future you are not going to find one. To my knowledge, only Kel-Tec is making parts for this rifle. To be honest with you, I would just shoot it the way it is or maybe add an inexspensive scope. Putting too much money into this rifle is not worth it - put that money towards building an OLL or Ammo.

Another question (I hope you guys don't mind helping me out with this one)-

1) As mentioned in another thread, I took my SU-16 CA out to the range today. I was shooting at 50 yards from the bench position (similar range set-up to Soup Nazi's in his photo above). Accuracy wasn't that good (please don't bash me yet- I'm new to rifles :( ...). Groupings were up to 6". This was using the stock sights. A friend of mine who did all that "super-cool, ninja sniper, training" stuff with the USMC, shot the rifle and had better results, but the accuracy of the rifle still didn't impress me.
My question is- how accurate do you guys find this gun? And at what ranges? Is my accuracy problem associated with using the stock sights and not a scoped sight?

2) Let me reiterate- I am new to rifles. The same friend zeroed my rifle at an indoor range that had a maxium length of 25 yards. Groupings were up to 2". At this range, the POI is a little above were I'm aiming at. The funny thing is, the rear sight adjustment is pushed all the way to the left. Why is that? Is it because the stock rear sight is crappy? When I centered the adjustment ( to make the rear sight appear more centered in comparison to the length of the rifle body) , the POI was all the way right to where I was initally aiming at. Is something wrong with my rifle? Would another BUIS (like Knights Arm., or GG&G) work better?

3) Does anyone make an upgraded barrel for Kel-Tec's? Something that would improve accuracy?

TIA for any advice.

-Rich

ketec_owner
03-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Upgrades:

1. Compact forend with harris bipod and/or more rails
2. Trigger Job
3. Sling and sling attachments
4. Muzzle Brake (any AR muzzle brake will work) some like the AK74 brake
5. Aimpoint or Eotech
6. Improved Rear Ironsight ( http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=111883 )
7. Replace the rear pin with a quick detach pin
8. Recoil pad
9. Ketec folding bayonet
10. Bayonet adapter
11. Better AR-15 10/20-round mags
12. Extractor upgrade

If you feel brave - there was a 6.5 Grendel Keltec SU-16B project that was done. The guy was a gunsmith and made the barrel from a blank and machined his own bolt.

Stuka
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Just curious, has anybody put a more robust stock on their SU16? Maybe wood?

Technical Ted
03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
9. Ketec folding bayonet (outside of Cali)
10. Bayonet adapter (outside of Cali)
WTF are you talking about? Bayonets aren't evil features in California.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following: (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

cartman
03-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Whats the difference between a cali su-16 and a regular one?

Stuka
03-18-2007, 2:08 PM
Whats the difference between a cali su-16 and a regular one?

"The SU-16CA Is a hybrid of the SU-16C and SU-16A rifles. The receiver, 16 inch barrel with 1/2-28 threads, bolt carrier, dust cover, sights, and case deflecting operating handle of the C model are combined with the stock of the A model. The SU-16CA will come with 2 10 round magazines that store in the stock just like the A model and has all the same parkerized parts as the C model. Just like the A model the SU-16CA can be folded for storage and it will not fire in the folded position. This allows for it to be purchased in most states that still have an "assault weapons ban"."

ketec_owner
03-19-2007, 8:17 AM
WTF are you talking about? Bayonets aren't evil features in California.

Sorry flashbacks to the federal ban. You're right.