PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to build and sell suppressors?

cannon
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I'd like to build suppressors with an eye to forming a company to sell them.

What Federal and State licenses do I need?

Hunt
01-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know a lot about it but I would assume here in CA you would have much more paperwork than a more free State. Az seems to have a few companies that build suppressors. How many companies build in CA?

ke6guj
01-06-2012, 1:20 PM
I'd like to build suppressors with an eye to forming a company to sell them.

What Federal and State licenses do I need?

you need to get an 07FFL (manufacturing) and then pay for the Class 02 SOT (special occupational taxpayer) which is $500-$1000 per year. With the 07FFL/02SOT, you can legally build silencers in CA. you will also need to get whatever state license you need to be a firearms manufacturer in CA (but there is no extra silencer license needed in CA, the FFL/SOT combo covers that). The federal State dept. says that you are supposed to register with t hem which costs ~$2500/year since you are manufactureing.

I don't know a lot about it but I would assume here in CA you would have much more paperwork than a more free State. Az seems to have a few companies that build suppressors. How many companies build in CA?
Surefire does.

cannon
01-06-2012, 2:24 PM
you need to get an 07FFL (manufacturing) and then pay for the Class 02 SOT (special occupational taxpayer) which is $500-$1000 per year. With the 07FFL/02SOT, you can legally build silencers in CA. you will also need to get whatever state license you need to be a firearms manufacturer in CA (but there is no extra silencer license needed in CA, the FFL/SOT combo covers that). The federal State dept. says that you are supposed to register with t hem which costs ~$2500/year since you are manufactureing.

Surefire does.

Do I need to do that for the R&D stage where I'll be building testing and destroying failures or is there for want of a better phrase. An experimental type license?

PolishMike
01-06-2012, 2:35 PM
Do I need to do that for the R&D stage where I'll be building testing and destroying failures or is there for want of a better phrase. An experimental type license?

You need that for any kind of building and testing.

CSACANNONEER
01-06-2012, 3:20 PM

NO CAN FOR YOU!

cannon
01-06-2012, 4:32 PM

Thank you