PDA

View Full Version : It Official! Southern California Precision Rifle Meet & Shoot March 31st at Angeles R

proraptor
03-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Its official guys……

Date: 3/31/07
Time: 9:00AM till whenever/close
Directions/Rules/entry fee: Look on the website: http://www.angelesranges.com/ - There is a printable coupon on the website for $2 off in the coupon section. It says it expires 3/31/07 so Im not sure they will take it the day of but Im going to print it anyways.

Remember this event is an event meant for fun and for meeting other precision shooters in the area. Don’t be afraid to show up if you are a noob (which I am myself) or someone that just wants advice on gear/shooting etc as Im sure everyone will be eager to help a fellow shooter out. This is not a match but heck if you want to start some friendly side wagers be my guest.

We will meet ¾ to the end of the rifle range on the left side so we have the best view of the targets out to 700 yards. (Thanks for advice mute). I will try and spread my gear out to save some shooting benches for late – comers but I can’t promise anything so make sure you get there early.

I will also try and bring some sticky name tags so we know who is who. Yeah I don’t like wearing them either but it’s much easier than trying to remember everyone’s screen name.

I was thinking Ill bring some chips and cookies to eat. Anyone want to bring some water or soda? There is nothing better than eating/shooting!

Any other suggestions/comments/concerns please post them.

Im looking forward to meeting all of you and learning all I can. See you there!

MicronuT
03-14-2007, 4:44 PM
you got a head count yet?

wildcard
03-14-2007, 8:53 PM
I'll be there with my .308, .22s, and a .40. So what's the bet? Pot goes to the person with the tightest 3-shot group at 100 yds? :) Fastest to hit all steel targets up to 700 yds (without breaking range rules)?!

proraptor
03-15-2007, 8:56 AM
Micronut - I dont have a headcount yet...But we already have 4 (they posted in this thread!)

Wildcard - I think a side bet is in order for you precision guys that have been shooting for awhile...as for me Im just trying to be able to hold tight groups at 100 yards! LOL

Morelli - I might have another friend how up with his new M1A also...Maybe you could bring some cards for your shop and let us know what you have and what you can get....

Mute
03-15-2007, 9:45 AM
I should be able to make it. I'll bring my .308.

50 Freak
03-15-2007, 9:48 AM
I'm going to try to make it.

Bringing a 308 and 50.

Biff...
03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I'll be there.

proraptor
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Cool guys....I think Im going to post this over on the ar15.com hometown section also...Feel free to post on other forums...I think the more people the better

jester
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm going to try to get there too....

proraptor
03-15-2007, 1:06 PM
I'm going to try to get there too....

Thats kind of a drive buddy!

jester
03-15-2007, 3:37 PM
Its less than an hour........

proraptor
03-15-2007, 4:17 PM
It says Ka...Made me think you live in a different state or something...oops

Budd
03-15-2007, 4:19 PM
It says Ka...Made me think you live in a different state or something...oops

Which state would that be?:D

proraptor
03-15-2007, 4:23 PM
Thats the funny thing....There is no KA....Im an idiot...

donger
03-15-2007, 5:39 PM
I'll try to be there.

Builder
03-15-2007, 6:02 PM
My goal is to be there as well.

proraptor
03-16-2007, 8:19 AM
Cool looks like we are going to have a good amount of people that show up....

wildcard
03-16-2007, 8:41 AM
So.. how are we going to identify ourselves?

proraptor
03-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Im going to try and bring some of those sticky name tags that we can wear.

Ill be the tall (6'4") white dude, brown hair, driving a blue chevy silverado ext cab. Ill put a name tag on (my name is Tom) so just come and find me so you can put on a sticky name tag so we know who is who....

PistolPete75
03-16-2007, 6:16 PM
this sounds fun...i'll be there hopefully with my first oll build and a couple of pistols...i'll probably bring some of my buddies too. i'm a tall korean guy named Peter...just look out for trigger happy asians! hopefully you guys will be there after 12 cause I don't think I can come any earlier than that. too bad, we can't bbq some burgers and stuff there also.

GlockComa
03-16-2007, 6:24 PM
So is this only open to precision rifles?
Is OLL builds allowed? If so count me in.
I'll bring out my OLL build, my AK, and my pistols.

proraptor
03-16-2007, 8:43 PM
Yes this is a precision rifle meet....If you have a precision AR or a bolt action precision rifle then feel free to come....Im sure you can come either way but we will be shooting 100-700 yards not anything under 100...

If you guys want to go to a meet thats just for blasting stuff and shooting up close try and go to the ar15.com california shoot tomorrow at burro canyon...

proraptor
03-18-2007, 10:27 AM
bump

whlgun
03-18-2007, 9:44 PM
Ok so i talked with my EDM guy and he agreed to bring up his toy to shoot. For those that havent shot one i would show up. Its the best alternative we have to the 50 ban. And he is a salesman for the company. Oh and hes having a sale on them

http://edmarms.com/products/m96.htm

After we get this meet and shoot together I plan on getting a OLL shoot together so be patient.

midnitereaper
03-18-2007, 9:46 PM
I'll be there.

markymark
03-18-2007, 9:52 PM
Damn, I still wish I could go. I have to work. No work = no pay. :(

Prc329
03-18-2007, 9:53 PM
One day off to shoot a 50? Why not.

markymark
03-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I wish it were that easy to miss work. I work in the service industry and I'd have to reschedule the people that I have to see.

proraptor
03-20-2007, 11:10 AM
whlgun - thats awsome news! Thanks for setting that up....Cant wait to see the 50 in action...

Markymark - Did you just cough? You better take the 31st off and go see a doctor :)

whlgun
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Mark dont worry my guy is up at the range about every other sunday and i do plan on starting monthly calguns shoots at the range so miss this one and catch the next one.

proraptor
03-22-2007, 1:17 PM
Its getting closer to the day guys.....

Prc329
03-22-2007, 1:39 PM
I'm about 75% sure I will be there.

proraptor
03-23-2007, 2:01 PM
Awesome! Looks like we are going to have a good turn out...

Budd
03-23-2007, 2:49 PM
I am also going to try and make it - mostly to shoot the EDM Arms .50 DTC. I still need to install sights on my levergun - so we will see about that one.

proraptor
03-23-2007, 9:44 PM
Yeah its going to be cool seeing the .50 dtc fire....I just might have to save for one!

proraptor
03-27-2007, 8:30 AM
The shoot is this saturday guys....I need to go hunt for some black hills 168 grain 308....I hope turners has some

mIsT3rRaY
03-27-2007, 9:11 AM
ohh man! I was just there last sunday...
anyways Im gonna bump this back to top :)

Mute
03-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Turners in Chino Hills definitely have BH 168 gr. 308s. Reminder, if you're planning on going, go to the [/URL][url=http://www.angelesranges.com/coupon.htm]Angeles Ranges (http:%5C%5Cwww.angelesranges.com) website and print out the $2 off coupon.

wildcard
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I couldn't imagine how much Turners would charge you for .308 Match ammo. I think they charge ~$30 just for their Fusion ammo! I have a good supply of Federal GMM I'd part with (5 boxes).. but don't think I'm going to make it to Angeles this weekend. I'll be at Burro though! I work in La Mirada on Fridays.. so PM me if you're interested.

proraptor
03-27-2007, 1:14 PM
Actually the turners in orange sells the black hill 168 .308 for like $17 a box....Pretty cheap if you ask me....Ive been wanting to shoot some of that federal gold match though.....PM me with a price per box..

proraptor
03-30-2007, 9:37 AM
Just a reminder....Ill be there when they open....See you guys there

idk
03-30-2007, 10:12 AM
I might show up to watch, I havent finished building my AR10T so I don't have anything to reach that far. My other AR10 I only go to 400 yds with open sites
Roger

Mute
03-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Give us a rap sheet so we know who to look for.

Budd
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
If anyone has a dovetail site pusher - please bring it. I need to install the site on my lever gun. I will be there regardless to see everything there...........:)

Short, black hat, haven't shaved for a week............

proraptor
03-30-2007, 2:44 PM
Im 6"4 white dude 240 lbs brown hair....Ill be in a dark blue chevy silverado and be wearing my NRA hat (large gold letters)....

Questions for those that have been to angeles before, they have benches right? We are aloud to shoot prone? What about target stands? Thanks!

ibbryn
03-30-2007, 3:01 PM
Im 6"4 white dude 240 lbs brown hair....Ill be in a dark blue chevy silverado and be wearing my NRA hat (large gold letters)....

Questions for those that have been to angeles before, they have benches right? We are aloud to shoot prone? What about target stands? Thanks!

Nice concrete benches, you can shoot prone. Get a stand for a small deposit- use it out to 200yds, steel targets are already set for you past that.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-30-2007, 3:29 PM
I'll be drinking and playing poker with some friends tonight, so I'll probably get there after 10am.....:D

Mute
03-30-2007, 3:39 PM
I'll be the Chinese guy in camo pants and a black polo and probably a US Optics ball cap.

proraptor
03-30-2007, 3:56 PM
Thanks ibbryn....

Everyone make sure you find me so we can all get a spot shooting together....BTW: Im going to go and get sticky nametags so get prepared to wear them!!!! :)

Budd
03-30-2007, 4:09 PM
If we all paint our finger nails pink - we should be easy to spot.....................:D

proraptor
03-30-2007, 4:16 PM
Go ahead Budd....Ill sit that one out :)

DRH
03-30-2007, 5:13 PM
A note to anyone unfamiliar with the Angeles Range rules- No steel core or bi- metal jacket ammo is allowed. They will check your ammo with a magnet, they might even ransack through your stuff without asking (to check your ammo). If they find anything that attracts a magnet you will be kicked out or if you are lucky your ammo held in the office until you are ready to leave.

proraptor
03-30-2007, 8:30 PM
Ill be shooting blackhills and TAP I hope they are aloud.....See all you guys tomorrow....

BTW: I couldnt find any name tags so if anyone has anyone please bring them

James R.
03-30-2007, 8:51 PM
Ok so i talked with my EDM guy and he agreed to bring up his toy to shoot. For those that havent shot one i would show up. Its the best alternative we have to the 50 ban. And he is a salesman for the company. Oh and hes having a sale on them

http://edmarms.com/products/m96.htm

After we get this meet and shoot together I plan on getting a OLL shoot together so be patient.

I should like to point out that those w/o $10,000 to spend can get into 510 DTC for a lot less. It may not look as fancy as the EDM and have the cachet that the EDM does, but the Serbu BFG-50 in 510 will set you back maybe $3000~3200 with optics (rifle is like $2300 with bi-pod). You'll probably spend at least another $1500~2000 or so in reloading equipment.

As to the people who would claim it's not accurate, a guy pulled together a 9.5" group at 1000 yards at an FCSA sanctioned event using off the shelf match ammo according to Mark. That's something like 0.86 MOA held to 1000 yards...something the EDM guy claims lesser guns won't do.

I won't lie, if money were no object and the crap just flowed out of me like so much piss I'd rather have the EDM gun, but I just wanted to make it clear you can get into the game (i.e. large caliber rifles) for a lot less and you're not giving up a whole hell of a lot.

FWIW - Mine is 50 BMG not 50 DTC, but it's a distinction almost w/o merit aside from being able to easily buy ammo off the shelf (internet) which you can't do (yet) for 510 DTC. That may change if the round becomes popular enough however...

Regards,

James R.

PS - I might go, I dunno...we'll see if I can drag my @$$ out of bed tomorrow, I'm still killing hours here at work.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-30-2007, 9:08 PM
So what time you guys showing up? And I would suggest maybe everybody taking the farthest tables on the left on the main range....

proraptor
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Me and pnkssbtch will be there when they open....

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Me and pnkssbtch will be there when they open....

What time is that and where are you guys going to be.....?

Prc329
03-30-2007, 11:43 PM
9am is opening time. I am gonna try very hard to get there at 9.

proraptor
03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Ill be there at 9am aas far left of the middle building as possible...

whlgun
03-31-2007, 12:30 AM
A note to anyone unfamiliar with the Angeles Range rules- No steel core or bi- metal jacket ammo is allowed. They will check your ammo with a magnet, they might even ransack through your stuff without asking (to check your ammo). If they find anything that attracts a magnet you will be kicked out or if you are lucky your ammo held in the office until you are ready to leave.

There is nobody kicked out for having steal core ammo. People have been kicked out for not giving up there steal hiding it or frequently disregarding the steal rule. And we will ask before we touch.

I know cause i check ammo 100 times a day.

And ill see you shooters hopefully early. I wont be joining but i will come up to help get things underway.

DRH
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM
There is nobody kicked out for having steal core ammo. People have been kicked out for not giving up there steal hiding it or frequently disregarding the steal rule. And we will ask before we touch.

I know cause i check ammo 100 times a day.

And ill see you shooters hopefully early. I wont be joining but i will come up to help get things underway.

I had a friend kicked out for shooting steel core ball ammo (he did not know it was steel core). I have personally turned around from the shooting bench to have someone ransacking through my pack and ammo boxes to check for steel core ammo. I may not have been you and hopefully those policies have changed, but that kind of stuff has turned alot of people off from Angeles Range including myself.

Mark_in_Pasadena
03-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Damn I just woke up, and my head is pounding, but I did win $200 bucks in last nights poker game. Glad you guys had a good time, sorry I missed it.....

Mute
03-31-2007, 1:52 PM
Dang Morelli, that was fast. Too bad you don't have a video of everyone jumping when the .50 DTC went off for the first time.

Prc329
03-31-2007, 2:31 PM
That was cool. We should do that once a month.

Budd
03-31-2007, 2:57 PM
Hopefully the vid of me shooting the .510 DTC doesn't surface.:eek:

Nearly knocked me over and I had the shakes for about 10 minutes.:eek:

Good to meet everyone - really good group.

Prc329
03-31-2007, 4:05 PM
I know what I want for my birthday. A standard M1A :D

midnitereaper
03-31-2007, 5:12 PM
Ok were the hell is Angeles!?! Drove up to the 210 from the 57 and exited foothill Blvd and turned right and had the road dead end into some park. Then I went the opposite way stopped in a market called the 800 number listened to the directions then asked a worker were the hell was I. He said I was in el cajon or something. I got back on the freeway going to pasadena looking for osborne this time. Never found it so I just headed over to burro for the day. Where in the freakin hell is Angeles? :mad:

James R.
03-31-2007, 5:42 PM
Ok were the hell is Angeles!?! Drove up to the 210 from the 57 and exited foothill Blvd and turned right and had the road dead end into some park. Then I went the opposite way stopped in a market called the 800 number listened to the directions then asked a worker were the hell was I. He said I was in el cajon or something. I got back on the freeway going to pasadena looking for osborne this time. Never found it so I just headed over to burro for the day. Where in the freakin hell is Angeles? :mad:

It's very easy to find IMHO...

From the 210 you get off on Foothill Blvd going towards the mountain, it bends around and then you make a left on Osborne St and continue towards the mountain. That then turns into Little Tujunga Canyon Road. You veer left off onto Upper Marek Mountainway (not sure it's marked as such but there's a sign saying there's a target range). When you come to the fork in that you stay to the left (if you go right it goes to a prison or honor rancho type thing) and keep going and BAM you're there.

It's waaaaaaaay less driving thru the twisties than Burro is.

Here (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=34.308349,-118.363502&spn=0.013151,0.020084&t=h&om=1)

Regards,

James R.

midnitereaper
03-31-2007, 6:11 PM

From the 210 you get off on Foothill Blvd going towards the mountain, it bends around and then you make a left on Osborne St and continue towards the mountain. That then turns into Little Tujunga Canyon Road. You veer left off onto Upper Marek Mountainway (not sure it's marked as such but there's a sign saying there's a target range). When you come to the fork in that you stay to the left (if you go right it goes to a prison or honor rancho type thing) and keep going and BAM you're there.

Here (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=34.308349,-118.363502&spn=0.013151,0.020084&t=h&om=1)

Regards,

James R.

Thanks for the map! Looks like I had a ways to go. I got off at the first foothill blvd exit and oak grove is where it ended. Oh well maybe next time.

pnkssbtz
03-31-2007, 7:48 PM
Was nice meeting everyone!

I had a lot of fun! Next time, I will have some form of optics =P

The ranges were really nice! It was a fresh change to actually have a bench and a screen so you didn't peg the guy next to you (or get pegged) with hot brass.

The highlight was seeing everyone there and talking to everyone!

And thanks WhlGun for your generosity =)

Also to "budd" for letting me shoot your lever gun =)

(I hope I got those names right, I couldn't remember...)

Some things I've learned for future reference:

50 DTC is like getting hit in the chest.

Don't climb up the burm.

And even if your lower is detached from the upper, and your bolt and charging handle is in your opposite hand, all ways carry it barrel pointed up...

CaptMike
03-31-2007, 10:46 PM

Regards,

James R.

The range is right next door to Camp Carl Holton of the Los Angeles County Probation Department. once you are on little tujunga canyon road and you pass the ranger station, you make a left at the next road which will have a wooden sign that reads Camp Carl Holton. gu up the road and at the first y in the road you go left. if you go right then you will end up at the Probation Camp.

markymark
04-01-2007, 2:15 AM
They let you take pics at Angeles? I always thought they discouraged it... :confused:

proraptor
04-01-2007, 9:08 AM
I had a lot of fun meeting everyone.....We had a good turnout and hope to do it again...Id also like to give a big thanks to mute for all the advice on precision shooting and helping me reach that damn pig at 600 yards! I alsmost cryed when I hit it! :)

Here are some pics:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/116/img2983mw0.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4452/img2985ev6.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4698/img2986bm7.jpg

proraptor
04-01-2007, 9:08 AM
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9863/img2987vu7.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8624/img2988wu8.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2892/img2984ot1.jpg

Mute
04-01-2007, 4:13 PM
Great turnout. It was nice to have a chance to put a face to all the names. Also very cool seeing all the members with their OLL buildups. The MM grips looked even better in person than online. I'm going to have to build one of my OLLs with the MM grip. There were also some creative AK builds. Nice to see the creativity of Cali gun owners.

whlgun
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Im happy everyone enjoyed the range and i hope we make this a regular thing. Im glad everyone had fun with the 510 its a blast to shoot.

And about the picture issue. We only restrict pictures that are unwelcome or someone just going around and videotaping everyone. We really only act on the picture rule when someone complains there in someone elses picture.

Timberwolf
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
In cased some of you missed the thread I posted earlier A Place to Shoot in Saugus is hosting a Tactical Precision Rifle Match on April 28, 2007. I'm the match director and am trying to grow this into a monthly event. These are basically precision rifle matches with a tactical flare - in other words we get off the concrete pad and into the field.

Anyway it appears you have a good following of precision shooters here and I'd like to see some of you at the match. Here's the thread if you missed it http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53629. Feel fre to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Prc329
04-02-2007, 3:29 AM
What was the power of the scope on the 510? I know it was a nightforce.

Mute
04-02-2007, 9:02 AM
In cased some of you missed the thread I posted earlier A Place to Shoot in Saugus is hosting a Tactical Precision Rifle Match on April 28, 2007. I'm the match director and am trying to grow this into a monthly event. These are basically precision rifle matches with a tactical flare - in other words we get off the concrete pad and into the field.

Anyway it appears you have a good following of precision shooters here and I'd like to see some of you at the match. Here's the thread if you missed it http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=53629. Feel fre to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Nice to see you over here Timberwolf. Here's a link to the last pics of the previous ASP Tactical Match (http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=6&Number=137868&Searchpage=1&Main=11894&Words=+Timberwolf&topic=0&Search=true#Post137868)