PDA

View Full Version : FAL Headspacing Issue?

Addax
03-14-2007, 1:33 AM
Hello,

I was shooting my Izzy Hbar Fal Carbine Sunday and I went through the first 10 rounds with no issues.

When I loaded the next 10 rounds into the magazine, the first round fired, but after that nothing?

I manually cycled the round out of the chamber to inspect it and the firing pin had barely tapped the primer, I mean light vs. the rounds that I had fired...

I tried to adjust the gas system and still the same issue.

I am thinking Head Space issue?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Addax

Sydwaiz
03-14-2007, 6:11 AM
Have you checked your firing pin?

SeanO
03-14-2007, 2:11 PM
Like Sydwaiz said,

I would start at the firing pin not the headspace. But... to be on the safe side, I would check the headspace w/a set of gauges to be sure.

Sean

Addax
03-14-2007, 2:45 PM
Thanks Guys,

When I shoot the first round, the firing pin strikes the primer just perfect.

But when I go to shoot the second shot and it does not fire, I have to manually cycle the round out of the chamber and when looking at the primer of the round that did not fire, the the firing pin strike is 1/2 as deep as the round that fired.

I will make sure to look at both the firing pin and the headspace.

Blue
03-14-2007, 7:18 PM
Where's your selector lever pointing to? Sounds like it's in FA with SA parts. Flip the lever over and try shooting it again.

Addax
03-14-2007, 8:24 PM
Where's your selector lever pointing to? Sounds like it's in FA with SA parts. Flip the lever over and try shooting it again.

Ah, I think that is it...

I do have a 3 position selector... but only SA parts...

I will have to retest it this weekend and see.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sydwaiz
03-14-2007, 8:50 PM
It shouldn't even click if it's in the FA position as the hammer should already be down. Right?

If you really think it's a headspace issue, LMK. I'll send you my headspace gauges to check.

Addax
03-14-2007, 9:02 PM
That is right.

I remember that after the first shot, when I pulled the trigger for the second shot, there was no click.. or movement of the hammer.

I will find out Saturday, and if it still ends up not firing, then I will take you up on trying out your headspace guages (THANK YOU).

It shouldn't even click if it's in the FA position as the hammer should already be down. Right?

If you really think it's a headspace issue, LMK. I'll send you my headspace gauges to check.

Blue
03-14-2007, 9:50 PM
That is right.

I remember that after the first shot, when I pulled the trigger for the second shot, there was no click.. or movement of the hammer.

I will find out Saturday, and if it still ends up not firing, then I will take you up on trying out your headspace guages (THANK YOU).

On mine IIRC the hammer just follows the bolt but doesnt have enough balls to pop the primer. I've only shot it once so I don't really know....but I'm pretty sure that when its in FA the hammer follows the bolt and doesnt have enough push behind it top spring the primer. Pull the upper from the lower, pull the hammer back, pull the trigger and hold it. Now try to reset the hammer and see if it stays back or not.

Sydwaiz
03-15-2007, 5:47 AM
If there was no click, then yes, you were more than likely in the FA position and the hammer just followed the bolt just as Blue mentioned.