PDA

View Full Version : How am I supposed to buy a gun? HELP

ajl2121
03-14-2007, 1:13 AM
Hey all...
I bought a 12 gauge w/o any problem when I was 18 with just a driver's license. Handguns are much stricter...I have to prove my residency. I live w/ my mom, don't pay the utlities, don't have a registered car under my name, and unemployed at the time. According to a salesman at a local shop I can get a notorized statement with a parent stating that I live with them. What EXACT information must be contained in the notorized document. Also, do I bring in a utility bill, registration, or W-2 form that has my mom's name on it? Please help!

p.s. I'm 99% decided that I will get a glock 26 for now and the HK45 later when they are available. I wanted a usp .45 now, but don't want to get another .45 later...I figured I should have the more popular calibers before I get multiples of the same caliber. A sub-compact seemed like a useful weapon at times, and wanted to get a smaller caliber (9mm). Any imput on that?

gotgunz
03-14-2007, 1:21 AM
zzzzzzzzzz

indetrucks
03-14-2007, 5:44 AM
Deleted previously deleted post

I think a new gun is last on your priority list.. It is an expensive hobby which requires a JOB to support.

The SoCal Gunner
03-14-2007, 6:20 AM
You can always write up a rental agreement/lease that states you pay a certain amount of money to live at the residence. They have the forms available at Staples and maybe Home Depot. I have used a lease agreement I printed off the internet and signed between myself and my father. Since I moved out I now use the new lease agreement. Just do a search online for a residential lease agreement and fill in the blanks.

The notarized letter probably would just have your parent state that you live at your home address. Should be simple but will cost you maybe $10-20 bucks just to have it notarized. You can goto a tax place, escrow, or UPS store to get things notarized.

And to the rest of y'alls, give the guy a break. How many of you moved out at 21? I didn't move out til 22 which was last August. He said he is unemployed at the time. I'm unemployed now but worked the past 4-5 years. Just because a person is unemployed does not mean the person should not have the means to protect themselves, though he does have a shotgun for HD.

diegojosh
03-14-2007, 7:29 AM
you can get a voter registration card for like $3...call the voter registration office, I move alot and that worked for me.:D

ts
03-14-2007, 7:41 AM
And to the rest of y'alls, give the guy a break. How many of you moved out at 21? I didn't move out til 22 which was last August. He said he is unemployed at the time. I'm unemployed now but worked the past 4-5 years. Just because a person is unemployed does not mean the person should not have the means to protect themselves, though he does have a shotgun for HD.

No name calling please

Ivanimal

Fjold
03-14-2007, 7:41 AM
Deleted

MrTuffPaws
03-14-2007, 7:45 AM
Deleted

ajl2121
03-14-2007, 1:53 PM
Thanks to those who had some good advice for me. I'm 22 and don't find it very much of an anomoly to live with my mom. The fact that I'm currently unemployed is because I'm taking 18 units in order to graduate on time this May. Also, I have been overwhelmed recently from applying to graduate school and taking standardized tests. I'm not here to defend myself for I can see how my initial post may have given the impression that I am a lazy person who mooches off of my mom. Luckily from my previous jobs, I have accumulated money that has been saved in my bank account that I have been living off of for the past 4 months. The fact that I'm so busy and don't have time to go out for leisure resulted in extra cash--cash that I would like to invest in a handgun.

PJA
03-14-2007, 3:29 PM
Sounds like you have gotten it right. Good luck with your continuing education.
Pete

ivanimal
03-14-2007, 6:54 PM
Please allow me to appologize for the rudeness posted here. We all know better and sometimes take the bait and run with it without giving something generous thought. :mad:

Of all the things I wish I had done more of as a youth, more school and more guns are the top 2. You seem to be doing just fine.

I would not get a subcompact for my first or even second cun. You might want to get used to a full sized 9MM or 45 like the offerings from CZ. These are quality guns for not much money and have a stellar reputation. I own both and will never sell either.

leelaw
03-14-2007, 6:57 PM
you can get a voter registration card for like $3...call the voter registration office, I move alot and that worked for me.:D
Voter registration card is not valid verification of residence.

Utility bill, lease agreement, signed statement by parents stating that you're living in their house, vehicle registration.. Those are valid.

bigkahuna04
03-14-2007, 7:09 PM
Everyone should own a wheelgun/revolver! Although I'm partial to semi's...a snubby .38 is what is in reach for me at home. I know that it's a marginal stopper, but ammo is abundant, and it's what I have that I know is ultra reliable during a stressful situation if I ever have to put in play for home defense in the middle of the night

and to get back on topic...a lease agreement with your Mom sounds like the easiest way for you.

pnkssbtz
03-14-2007, 7:39 PM
I just want to chime in here since I had a similar problem.

I too was living at with my moms. I did pay rent but it was an informal thing.

What really ticked me off I was 24-25 at the time and the law JUST changed so that you needed the extra form of ID... so I went in and thought Turners was pulling a fast one on me.

My father was going to help me cosign for my 2nd car, but he ended up not having too, but the address on the financing (And thus the initial registration) was still his address so I couldn't use the registration for my car. My lease with my mom was informal, so I had no paperwork, and I was not on any of the utilities.

I ended up switching the registration to the correct address, but kind of gave up on it till I was 27, when I went back and bought the pistol I wanted =P

I recommend a full size pistol for your first handgun purchase. I should of gotten a 9mm or something but I ended up buying an HK USP.40 for my first gun so I could share ammo with a buddy who had a G23c.

Welcome to Calguns, I am sorry for the inappropriate comments left here but most people here are really informative and are good people. Plus we have JBM's to lock threads and delete posts.... (JBM = Jack Booted Moderators....j/k!)

If you are in the Orange Co. Area pm me, I am always up to go shooting with calguns people.

ajl2121
03-14-2007, 8:29 PM
My best bet would probably be to get the notorized statement. My reasoning for the glock 26 is because I would like to own a 9mm, .45, and possibly some other calibers later on. I figure a subcompact would be good to have, and a 9mm subcompact would probably be a better idea than a .45 subcompact. Are subcompact pistols not novice friendly?

pnkssbtz
03-14-2007, 10:25 PM
The problem with the subcompact is the shorter slide means less weight. Less weight means less mass to absorb the recoil.

You want a pistol with a bit of weight and balance to learn marksmanship. Subcompacts are excellent pistols for conceal carry and for combat purposes, but generally don't excell in marksmanship due to their inabilty to absorb recoil which hinders follow up shot accuracy.

Before you buy a pistol I would really recomend you going out and renting say one of each manufacturer and try them out. Most ranges will let you just trade in a gun for another one. Though most ranges wont let you rent a pistol by yourself.

bear93445
03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
I feel your pain, I too lived at home until I was in my mid twenties and if the law was the same back them I would have been in the same situation. One idea with proof of residency is have your parents switch one of the utilities into your name. This will not only show proof or residency but will improve credit rating (as long as it gets paid on time). As for the gun, IMHO a first gun should be a revolver. Something along the lines of a S&W 686 w/ a 6" barrel. A revolver will promote accuracy and control. And since it can shoot 38 special and 357 magnums the gun is very versatile.

Of course this is just my opinion.

gotgunz
03-14-2007, 11:36 PM
DELETED dont preach to new members it makes us all look bad

Ivanimal

Sorry Dad, you obviously missed the sarcasm in that one...

ivanimal
03-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Sorry Dad, you obviously missed the sarcasm in that one...

Obviously. Son.

GlockComa
03-15-2007, 9:05 PM
AJL2121 hey just go down to your bank and get a bank statement that shows your full name and address. Thats worked for me alot of times.

Trader Jack
03-15-2007, 11:13 PM
AJL2121 hey just go down to your bank and get a bank statement that shows your full name and address. Thats worked for me alot of times.

Another wonderful piece of Bull **** Advice. Bank statements do not work
and neither do voter registration cards:mad: