PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Safety Cert question

TurboChrisB
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
So I'm meeting someone today to do a PPT. I can't find my HSC. I do however have my copies of the dros forms from the last two handgun purchases I made that clearly show my HSC number. Can the gunstore/ffl I'm meeting at to do the PPT look up or someway confirm my positive HSC status using the number or am I screwed not having the physical certificate and gonna have to take it again.

Thanks!

NytWolf
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
If you go back to the place where you took your test, they can provide you with a copy ... for a small fee.

Other than that, I don't think there is a database anywhere. DOJ may have one though.

ke6guj
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
If you go back to the place where you took your test, they can provide you with a copy ... for a small fee.
.correct. IIRC, the fee is $15 for a replacement, and it would be re-issued with your original expiration date. So, if your HSC was more than 3 years old, it is cheaper in the long run to just take the test again and get a new 5-year card.

TurboChrisB
01-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I'm in OC and it was from LA and more than 3 years ago.

Thanks!

DVSmith
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
The only record of your HSC is with the instructor who issued it. Nothing other than the number of HSC's issued goes back to the DOJ. Just ask the FFL if he/she can test you and get a new HSC. Far easier than traveling to get a copy.

weekend_plinker
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
The test is easy and only $25 pay the money and get a new one. Try to do it before you meet the seller. I hate waiting for some one to take the test. Also where ever you go make sure they have the hsc cards in stock. I bought a gun on a whim one time out of town. When I went to the gun store early to get a hsc card they where all out. I had to run to another gun store 10 miles away to get one.

kemasa
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
The FFL has to see and copy the HSC card, so you have to have one. The number is not enough since the FFL would not know if it actually expired.

As others have said, just get a new one or look harder for your lost card.

infernl
01-05-2012, 9:00 PM
The last PPT I did, and was the buyer, a HSC was not even asked for. I thought these were only req for a new handgun purchase.

tenpercentfirearms
01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
The last PPT I did, and was the buyer, a HSC was not even asked for. I thought these were only req for a new handgun purchase.

Unless you are exempt, you need to have one.

I hate the fact that HSC replacements are $15, but I pay $15 for them. Why am I breaking even on these things?

Cokebottle
01-05-2012, 11:19 PM
I hate the fact that HSC replacements are $15, but I pay $15 for them. Why am I breaking even on these things?
Because you are a part of the :TFH: machine that's keeping us down while you make truckloads of money doing $35 PPTs all day.
I mean... you pocket $10 for 5 minutes work and all it costs you is 6 square inches in your safe!

:p :p

kemasa
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
What bugs me is that we can't generate the HSC online, just like the DROS, and instead have to order them in advance and having it take a really long time to get the new certificates. Re-prints should be free from an online source.

You only break even (excluding time and labor to find the original information, which could take longer than issuing a new one), but you do make money on new ones (excluding all the money you have tied up when you have to buy the certificates in advance).