PDA

View Full Version : Which FFL License Do I Need?

tleeocinca
01-05-2012, 8:47 AM
I am looking to start out small and open a home based business part time to do PPT's and FFL transfers. I do not want to sell guns, nor do I want to have a retail store. What FFL license do I need to apply for to operate the above business type?

Any help is much appreciated.

paul0660
01-05-2012, 8:52 AM
http://federal-firearms-license.net/types-of-ffl-licenses/

Ubermcoupe
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I am looking to start out small and open a home based business part time to do PPT's and FFL transfers. I do not want to sell guns, nor do I want to have a retail store. What FFL license do I need to apply for to operate the above business type?

Any help is much appreciated.

Lot of questions come into play on that one. Several things to consider like:
-If you want it out of your home, does your local municipality even allow for a home based FFL (post your location and someone might be able to offer experience).

either way, unless you plan on only gunsmithing or only C&R collecting or only manufacturing ammo you will need an 01 to accomplish what you want. There is no “PPT/transfers only” FFL.

kemasa
01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
There is no difference between selling firearms and doing transfers. The BATF does not have a concept of a PPT, that is CA only. They also don't care where and how you get the firearm (assuming it is legal).

As said, you would need an 01 FFL and you need to check with your local government to ensure that you can get all of the required permits/licenses.

One thing that can help with the local aspect is to say that you are not going to be a stocking dealer. Even though you have to store the firearms during the waiting period and even though you might actually own more firearms than you might stock, the locals seem to have an issue with the stocking aspect. There is no legal difference, but how they view it is different.