PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on First 1911

x2delight
03-13-2007, 9:36 PM
I cant decide! what 1911 to get is driving me nuts. This is my first 1911 not first handgun.. i think i might just have to pick between the springer or kimber..

leelaw
03-13-2007, 9:39 PM
What's your price range and location? What size do you want? 5" Fullsize, 4" Compact, 4" Commander, 3" Ultra compact?

Jon
03-13-2007, 9:41 PM
What do you plan to use it for? Competition, plinking, 'smithing, carrying?

1911_sfca
03-13-2007, 9:42 PM
i think i might just have to pick between the springer or kimber..

First, answer this question for me:

Ford or Chevy?

leelaw
03-13-2007, 9:43 PM

Ford or Chevy?

AM General ;)

x2delight
03-13-2007, 9:45 PM

Ford or Chevy?

Well i Drive BMW.. so yeah..

Budget is possibly 1200-1500 Southern california

Pupose is to Carry

I would prefer full size 5inch.

leelaw
03-13-2007, 9:55 PM
That sounds like Raptor or TRP territory to me. Both are excellent.

jdberger
03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
For that, you can even go semi-custom.

I'm thinking that the 1* package over at YoBo (http://www.yost-bonitz.com/packages/1asterisk/)is $1k on a customer supplied gun.

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/mediumfoto/photos/1asterisk/1asterisk004.jpg

There are plenty others, too. I'm just partial to YoBo.

Cazach
03-14-2007, 7:55 AM
Ahh! Beware the horrible 1911 disease. 10 times more contagious than BRD!

If it is your first 1911, you may want to go with something simple and then after you get some miles under it, have it tweaked to your liking. (and /or buy one or have another one built)

They are so customizable and there are so many options available that sometimes its good to start with the basic design and then adapt it to fit you.

SigShooter
03-14-2007, 8:55 AM
I recently received my first 1911 and I love it. I won it in a raffle, so I really didn't have a choice in model. It is a Springfield GI.45, I know it's no where near the same league as what you are looking for, but I mention it to talk about warranties. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a firearm, it makes sense to make sure the manufacturer will back up their product with a good warranty.

When I received my GI, there was a flaw in the barrel, and I was hesitant to fire it in that condition. I called Springfield and the knowledgeable and friendly voice on the other end told me to ship it off to them straight away. A few days later I received a call letting me know that the pistol was received and was being looked at. The next day, I received another call letting me know that they had replaced the barrel, test fired for accuracy and functionality, and were shipping it back that day. They also told me to send them the receipt for my shipping costs and they would send me out a check for the cost since it was a manufacturing flaw.

I could not believe the service I received from such a large mfg. I was without my new pistol for just under a week!! That experience alone convinced me that my next new 1911 will be a SA TRP (I have shot a few of these and love them).

Hopefully someone will chime in with other MFGs warranty info.

My Father-in-law has a Kimber Gold match and it is a very nice pistol, but I don't think that it was worth the $$ he spent on it. I think the fit & finish of the SA TRP is better than the Kimber and to me they just "feel" like a better built gun. Don't get me wrong, I do love the Kimber, I just like the Spingfields that much more and you can't beat SA's customer service.

Also, if you are concerned with Made In America vs. Brazil, I was told the TRPs were manufactured here in the U.S.A.

(obligatory disclaimer: Your Mileage May Vary, this is just my .22 cents)

gogotu
03-14-2007, 9:57 AM
Go with a basic springfield, you can play with it a little and then send it out so you can get it fitted by a smith to your preference.

x2delight
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
does anyone know is the Springers come in that nice polished finish? i love that finish.

Kruzr
03-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Two different guns that sit in you hand differently. Get the one that feels best to you.

BTW, the TRP's are "partially" assembled in the US according to Springfield. All SA frames and parts are made by IMBEL.

x2delight
03-14-2007, 11:17 AM
iam leaning towards a TRP but i want the stainless. Gonna stop in the gun store 2morrow and see what i like..

Aluisious
03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I vote Kimber because my TLE is awesome and everyone at the range oohs and ahhs at it.

DIG
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Well i Drive BMW.. so yeah..

Budget is possibly 1200-1500 Southern california

Pupose is to Carry

I would prefer full size 5inch.

1200-1500? Anything you buy in that range you should be happy with. My vote is for Kimber. I found myself with the Springfield vs Kimber question two years ago and sprung for the Kimber. No regrets.

PistolPete75
03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
get the kimber stainless II

dfletcher
03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Check out the CZ Dan Wesson 1911 - the Pointman is 5" adjustable sight and the Bobtail is 4" with the round butt. I think they're an excellent buy at about $950.00 each. Best slide to frame to barrel fit I've seen short of the Les Baers.

koiloco
03-15-2007, 7:47 PM
Unless you really want the stainless steel finish, I would go with a more matte surface. Mine first SA loaded 1911 is stainless, it is a finger magnet and scratches easily.

I like Springfield, also but with your price range you could get into Wilson Combat and Les Baer (for couple hundred more). Look around some more and buy once, buy right :) and shoot the hell out of it.