PDA

View Full Version : ak builders?

ghost
03-13-2007, 10:30 PM
i want to get my ak built,i have all the parts for the build-nds3,romy kit,and compliance parts.i know james maddux is a great builder here on the forum.i was wondering what other options i can go with short of building it myself,which i have no time or tools to do it.any suggestions guys?

leelaw
03-13-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm looking for a referral for a Yugo M70 fixed stock build, too. A rivet build from compliance parts, Nodak Spud receiver, and demilled parts kit, with a parkote finish, to match the M70AB2 underfolder AZEX did (he's refusing future CA work :( )

Addax
03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
James is great, you should check him out first, especially if you are in the So Cal area..

He has refinished one of my rifles and I am working out the details to have James build me 2 more AK rifles on kits I am providing.

The added benefit is that you won't get the anti-california hassle from out of state builders...

i want to get my ak built.i know james maddux is a great builder here on the forum.i was wondering what other options i can go with short of building it myself,which i have no time or tools to do it.any suggestions guys?

Pryde
03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
I can refer you to a very well known AK smith located in Texas, send me a PM and I will forward you his information.

He did a Romy on NDS-3 for my brother for under $200 and had it back within a week. The quality of the work definately lived up to the guys reputation.

leelaw
03-13-2007, 11:24 PM
I can refer you to a very well known AK smith located in Texas, send me a PM and I will forward you his information.

He did a Romy on NDS-3 for my brother for under $200 and had it back within a week. The quality of the work definately lived up to the guys reputation.

If he offers parkote finish, please PM me with more informaiton. Thanks. :D

Lateralus
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
if your in the sacramento area, solidsnake87 and i build them for people. weve done several. i can post pics if you want or feel free to drop by and we can show you our work:)

just an fyi, solidsnake87 won first place in the state fair metal working last year for a suit of armor (all made and forged by him) including an english damascus sword and full chain mail.

PM me if interested:)

Addax
03-14-2007, 2:28 AM
You can also try Volunteer Ordnance Works In TN, or you can also contact Armory USA in Houstan Texas... They both will work with CA residents in assembling CA and Federal compliant AK's.

FlexPlasmaRifle
03-14-2007, 3:08 AM
who's interested in a Norcal AK build get together? +1 here!

Lateralus
03-14-2007, 3:22 AM
like i said, if ur in the sac area, im always willing to help

xrMike
03-14-2007, 8:11 AM
If you send your parts out to a builder, do they have to send the completed rifle back to an FFL, or can they send it directly to you?

Rumpled
03-14-2007, 9:53 AM
If you send your parts out to a builder, do they have to send the completed rifle back to an FFL, or can they send it directly to you?

If they have the correct FFL (07?) then you can ship it directly back and forth. If they don't have a FFL, you have to ship it to a FFL.

ghost
03-14-2007, 4:16 PM
thanks for the help guys!! i`m pm`ed you solidsnake.

LECTRIKHED
03-14-2007, 5:03 PM
I saw that suit of armor. It was awesome. My friends and I are interested in doing a sacramento area build.

grammaton76
03-14-2007, 5:15 PM
If he offers parkote finish, please PM me with more informaiton. Thanks. :D

Don't get all hung up on parkote. Azex likes to act as if it's something he invented in a lab and holds thousands of patents on, but it's just moly-cote over parkerized steel. If my theory is correct, one should be able to apply moly-kote to a parked WASR-10 and have the same finish.

ghost
03-14-2007, 6:45 PM
I saw that suit of armor. It was awesome. My friends and I are interested in doing a sacramento area build.

lets do it!!! i`m not in sac area though,i`m in the bay area.

leelaw
03-14-2007, 6:51 PM
Don't get all hung up on parkote. Azex likes to act as if it's something he invented in a lab and holds thousands of patents on, but it's just moly-cote over parkerized steel. If my theory is correct, one should be able to apply moly-kote to a parked WASR-10 and have the same finish.

I'm not getting hung up on it because of AZEX's affliction towards it (I know your adversion to his work). I am requesting it because I want the two AKs to match and I think the molycoat on the current one is extremely nice looking.

Your theory is correct - if someone were to strip off the original coat on the WASR-10, then parkerize and moly-kote it, it would, theoretically, look the same as mine.

grammaton76
03-14-2007, 7:34 PM
I'm not getting hung up on it because of AZEX's affliction towards it (I know your adversion to his work). I am requesting it because I want the two AKs to match and I think the molycoat on the current one is extremely nice looking.

Your theory is correct - if someone were to strip off the original coat on the WASR-10, then parkerize and moly-kote it, it would, theoretically, look the same as mine.

Erm, WASR's are parked (however, I believe the parkerization is the only finish on the WASR's - no paint on top, only oil).

Some day, during my copious free time, I intend to see if you can degrease a WASR, then just apply moly-kote and end up with a comparable finish. If so, I'll be quite overjoyed and post how-to's... :)

liquidmx
03-14-2007, 9:58 PM
If there is enough notification I would be in for a sac area build as well. I have not purchased the parts yet since I dont have the tools.:(

How would it be worked? I am most interested in getting some flats bent properly (since the jig is pricey for just one or two guns), watching someone prep a proper rivet build, and a general explanation of issues to look out for, how to fix, common mistakes, etc.

You know, the whole teach a man to fish deal...

FlexPlasmaRifle
03-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Count me in too
If there is enough notification I would be in for a sac area build as well. I have not purchased the parts yet since I dont have the tools.:(

How would it be worked? I am most interested in getting some flats bent properly (since the jig is pricey for just one or two guns), watching someone prep a proper rivet build, and a general explanation of issues to look out for, how to fix, common mistakes, etc.

You know, the whole teach a man to fish deal...

grammaton76
03-15-2007, 12:39 AM
I am most interested in getting some flats bent properly (since the jig is pricey for just one or two guns),

I would recommend forgetting about bending flats your first time out. 100% receivers are under no pressure from the DOJ, while 80%'s are somewhat of an item of concern lately.

But primarily, I don't recommend flats because for most folks, there just isn't an advantage to be had from them. I mean, ok, bend two flats and save yourself $110 - but then you've got to work out heat treatment, welding, correct alignment of the center support, etc. I don't recommend it when you can buy a fully heat treated receiver from NDS, properly laid out for holes and such, and not have to mess with it yourself.

This is coming from a guy who happens to have all the appropriate tooling down in SD, including a flat-bending jig that I've never used yet because I would want to do it right.

Yes, Shon, we're gonna get to it sooner or later. :)

USMC_2651_E5
03-15-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't mean to steal the thread, but it is along the same lines. I'm in SoCal trying to find someone with the tooling and know how to help with my AK build. If anyone reading does and is willing, lets put togethor a SoCal build party.

ghost
03-15-2007, 9:31 PM
thanks for the info frontman605!!!

Scope
03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
who's interested in a Norcal AK build get together? +1 here!

yup +1

Lateralus
03-16-2007, 12:01 AM
like ive been posting, im just outside downtown sac. if interested in a build, call/PM me