PDA

View Full Version : Taking actions against HR 1022

Solidsnake87
03-13-2007, 5:54 PM
So I've heard rumors about another federal weapons ban. I was not really worried at first until I received an e-mail from tapco firearms about "the fight against HR1022". Upon reading the summary of HR 1022 I was not surprised that they were trying to ban pretty much every piece of semiautomatic technology out there, even vintage WW2 type rifles such as the garand. I pretty much have all the receivers I could ever want and I figured I was safe to build on them, even after another ban. I was, however, totoally shocked at this one part. HR 1022 will also ban the parts for any such banned type of firearm. This means we cannot build, repair, or refurbish any banned type of firearm even if we have a bare receiver that will have been registered under this potential new ban.

I dunno about you guys but I'm pretty pissed that I bought so many receivers expecting a ban on rifles, just to find they are banning parts too. With this new ban we can't build on the OLL's we have struggled for here in CA, the worst of all the states for gun laws.

I know the second amendment states that we have the right to keep and bear arms. unfortunately, it does not state that the government cannot place a restriction on the types of firearms we have.

I'd like some help to put together a video concerning Assualt type weapons, semi-automatic weapons, and how criminals aquire weapons. I do not have access, nor do I own any video equipment or editing software. I will most certainly need the assistance of the local police as well as some way of interviewing criminals of gun-related crimes in order to find out how they aquired weapons and how they feel about a ban. I also need somebody who can assist with record the videos in a professional manner and edit them. I cannot pay for any of this so I am asking this a volunteer effort. We need to prove to the government that criminals do not procure weapons through legal means, that they are only making ordinary citizens a much easier target for crime, and that most of the weapons in question( such as the AR-15) are rarely used in crimes due to their high cost. I am hoping that we could send such a video to the NRA for distribution to various political entities.

I work full-time, and I'm a full time college student. However, I have spring break the last week of this month. I'k like to put such a video together over that time period. I really need the help of as many people as possible for this. I feel that doing this would greatly help our cause. This will be a volunteer effort only.

Solidsnake87
03-13-2007, 6:59 PM
Does anybody care about this at all? So many of you whine and complain about how bad cali is and now the whole country has the possibility of being this restricted. Please, I could use some support and ideas.

bwiese
03-13-2007, 7:04 PM
I don't discount the danger.... however...

... the political landscape nationally is not that antigun, and (Federally) speaking, the gun standings in Congress/Senate are about the same. [In fact quite a few Dems that were swept into office have pro-gun sentiments.]

With the recent Zumbo incident making the mainstream media, pols realize that this is radioactive. They also saw the 1994 elections when we made a sea change in Congress and kicked out a Speaker of the House, Tom Foley.

When things are ripe, you'll receive direction from NRA types on who to contact. For a start, you can contact your Senators, Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer - fat lotta good that'll do, but you need to show up on the radar. More productively you can contact your local congressman/woman - perhaps you'll get more favorable results there.

boogak
03-13-2007, 7:52 PM
the government knows how criminals get their firearms. the government just doesnt want us to have firearms.suppresion just in case of revolution

shark92651
03-13-2007, 8:30 PM
It sounds like an interesting project. I would start with a decent digital video camera or even a cheaper (used even) video camera from eBay or something. You can use some free of cheap editing software, even Microsoft Movie Maker, for your editing. If you want to interview criminals I'm not really sure how you would go about that - start by calling a local prison. You can get crime stats on the internet - a few graphs or powerpoint slides in your video, along with narration, can easily get the point accross that "assault weapons" are rarely used in crimes. Hell, even the FBI data proves that all rifles combined, not just AWs, account for only 5% of all firearms homicides. I read that AWs are estimated to be used in about .002% of firearms homicides.

Having said all that, I think the best way for us to fight this type of legislation is to continue to pay NRA dues and give them donations.

m1371
03-13-2007, 9:35 PM
So I've heard rumors about another federal weapons ban. I was not really worried at first until I received an e-mail from tapco firearms about "the fight against HR1022". Upon reading the summary of HR 1022 I was not surprised that they were trying to ban pretty much every piece of semiautomatic technology out there, even vintage WW2 type rifles such as the garand. I pretty much have all the receivers I could ever want and I figured I was safe to build on them, even after another ban. I was, however, totoally shocked at this one part. HR 1022 will also ban the parts for any such banned type of firearm. This means we cannot build, repair, or refurbish any banned type of firearm even if we have a bare receiver that will have been registered under this potential new ban.

I dunno about you guys but I'm pretty pissed that I bought so many receivers expecting a ban on rifles, just to find they are banning parts too. With this new ban we can't build on the OLL's we have struggled for here in CA, the worst of all the states for gun laws.

I know the second amendment states that we have the right to keep and bear arms. unfortunately, it does not state that the government cannot place a restriction on the types of firearms we have.

I'd like some help to put together a video concerning Assualt type weapons, semi-automatic weapons, and how criminals aquire weapons. I do not have access, nor do I own any video equipment or editing software. I will most certainly need the assistance of the local police as well as some way of interviewing criminals of gun-related crimes in order to find out how they aquired weapons and how they feel about a ban. I also need somebody who can assist with record the videos in a professional manner and edit them. I cannot pay for any of this so I am asking this a volunteer effort. We need to prove to the government that criminals do not procure weapons through legal means, that they are only making ordinary citizens a much easier target for crime, and that most of the weapons in question( such as the AR-15) are rarely used in crimes due to their high cost. I am hoping that we could send such a video to the NRA for distribution to various political entities.

I work full-time, and I'm a full time college student. However, I have spring break the last week of this month. I'k like to put such a video together over that time period. I really need the help of as many people as possible for this. I feel that doing this would greatly help our cause. This will be a volunteer effort only.

Does anybody care about this at all? So many of you whine and complain about how bad cali is and now the whole country has the possibility of being this restricted. Please, I could use some support and ideas.

Penn and Teller already beat you to it: http://www.washingtonceasefire.com/content/view/47/45/

Being discussed here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51770

Not a bad idea on your part, but please don't make the assumption that no one cares because you're not getting flooded with responses from people wanting to help. I think Bill W gave a fairly well thought out response for you.