PDA

View Full Version : buying new online-bay area

zorkieo
03-13-2007, 5:18 PM
i will probably end up buying online. i live in the bay area (SF) and would like ot know which shops or ffl dealers charge the least. it will not be a person to person transfer but an online store like impact guns, or ableammo. let me konw if you konw who does it for a cheap price. thanks
z-

leelaw
03-13-2007, 5:26 PM
Have you tried calling around to other shops to see what kind of deal they can get you on [insert handgun here]?

Travis
03-13-2007, 5:59 PM
Unless you really get a screaming deal, buying online doesn't always mean a lower OTD price. Factor in $20 for shipping and $30-$50 for a transfer fee and the gun purchased online gets to local prices real fast.

zorkieo
03-13-2007, 6:19 PM
well i have found that the transfer fee plus DOJ is around 50 bucks. that seems cheap, plus 20 bucks shipping. a kimber custom target II ends up being around 790-800 dollars. compaired to bullseye shooting range were it is around 850+tax=915. i think the more you spend, the better the deals are online. but for any gun that msrp's under 600, i would definetly go to my local shop.

boogak
03-13-2007, 7:41 PM
its always good to give bussiness to your local shop, cause one day there might not be one

blkA4alb
03-13-2007, 8:16 PM
Your local shop cannot compete with the online dealers. Also, we like to do some haggling and usually end up throwing in some extras when you purchase a gun. No other gun/range will allow you to shoot your gun on our range during the 10 day wait.

If you wish to come in this weekend I will be working and would be glad to see if I can swing some kind of deal for a fellow Calgunner ;) .

Travis
03-13-2007, 9:07 PM
well i have found that the transfer fee plus DOJ is around 50 bucks. that seems cheap, plus 20 bucks shipping. a kimber custom target II ends up being around 790-800 dollars. compaired to bullseye shooting range were it is around 850+tax=915. i think the more you spend, the better the deals are online. but for any gun that msrp's under 600, i would definetly go to my local shop.

I don't see where you are saving money buying out of state...

Online retailer:
$800 Kimber
$20 shipping
$70 transfer & DROS fees (very few FFLs are this cheap)
$60 tax
Total = $950

Local dealer
$850 Kimber
$35 DROS
$64
Total = $950

zorkieo
03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
the online dealer i am dealing with is pricing it at 720.00$ so with your calculations minus the tax ( why pay tax for out of state) i think im looking at around 810.00$m - that is a big difference fror me.

zorkieo
03-13-2007, 11:15 PM
and yes your all right that i should support my local dealer. i think when all the numbers have been done, if i can walk out the door of a local shop, spending 50 bucks more that is no problem. but i aint rich, and a lot of local shops in my area will even mark tags over msrp.

leelaw
03-13-2007, 11:15 PM
the online dealer i am dealing with is pricing it at 720.00$ so with your calculations minus the tax ( why pay tax for out of state) i think im looking at around 810.00$m - that is a big difference fror me.

Because you are required to. I'd recommend against suggesting breaking the law on a public message board.

WokMaster1
03-14-2007, 8:32 AM

All FFLs that accept new guns from out of state dealers are required by law to collect state tax. That's not up to you to decide. In-state private party transfers are exempt.

A few dealers might not collect sales tax but if the California Franchise Board finds out, they will do an audit which means doo-doo in the face, etc.

Technically all transactions done over the internet are supposed to include sales tax for the inbound state. The enforcement is pretty weak but the final responsibility lies with the buyer. The buyer has to fill up a form & submit payment to the state for all his/her internet purchases.

It's pretty much as blur as our gun laws, don't you agree?

dfletcher
03-14-2007, 8:54 AM
GB has an FFL search listed by zip code & price with a telephone number. Check that list but call before you make any deal to find out what their specific requirements are and to ensure they will accept the gun. Obviously it is a buyer's responsibility to know which guns can be transferred into CA, the person selling may or may not know and you don't want to have a gun arrive and be told by the FFL dealer the sale can't be completed. I'd presume your Kimber is fine.

Try City Arms in Pacifica - I've had a dozen or so transfers done there and I believe the total charge is $70.00 including DROS. You may want to talk to him about Kimbers. Since the Dan Wessons have been around his Kimbers aren't selling very well & he may be willing to make a deal.

zorkieo
03-14-2007, 9:35 AM
i didnt realize it was a law. i have bought out of state at least three times, and i have never been charged tax, so I didint believe it was nessissary. Also some of the online gun stores advertise "NO tax" for out of state.

Travis
03-14-2007, 12:50 PM
i didnt realize it was a law. i have bought out of state at least three times, and i have never been charged tax, so I didint believe it was nessissary. Also some of the online gun stores advertise "NO tax" for out of state.

Any online gun store that claims "no tax" really just means they won't charge you tax. Obviously, that doesn't mean the receiving dealer doesn't need to charge tax. Here is a recent thread on tax issues...

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=51391

rips31
03-14-2007, 1:07 PM
cash loan in ssf (they're on grand, just off 101) will set you up for $55 total, otd, i think.

boogak
03-14-2007, 4:12 PM
I don't see where you are saving money buying out of state...

Online retailer:
$800 Kimber
$20 shipping
$70 transfer & DROS fees (very few FFLs are this cheap)
$60 tax
Total = $950

Local dealer
$850 Kimber
$35 DROS
$64
Total = $950
out of state you dont have to pay tax (as to my knowledge)

CalNRA
03-14-2007, 4:16 PM

yes you do, legally speaking on your annual tax form.

leelaw
03-14-2007, 5:19 PM

"use tax"

It is required for out of state purchases.

boogak
03-14-2007, 5:21 PM
i see, i neverbought from online or out of state
but good to know before i ever get into trouble

WokMaster1
03-14-2007, 6:06 PM
i see, i neverbought from online or out of state
but good to know before i ever get into trouble

Too late, they have zoned in on your location. :D

boogak
03-14-2007, 7:02 PM
oh no id better hide!:eek: