View Full Version : Advice of FTF, Cash and Carry Transactions

01-04-2012, 2:21 AM
Just curious what advice ya'll have regarding selling c&R guns (50 years old, rifle) face to face to people in Los Angeles.

The misses thinks having people come to the house is a bad idea, so where to people normally meet up for these kind of transactions so both parties stay safe?

I realize gun shows are one option, but what if I need to sell now. What do you recommend? I don't feel comfortable meeting in a gun store since I'm not going to be paying them, so what should I do? Where can 2 people view a firearm safely, with some relative privacy in Los Angeles?

Thanks for your time.

01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
You might try asking a gun store if they mind your doing the transfer there, just to be safe. You could always give them a tip and perhaps one of you might buy something while you are there.

Having people come to your house can be an issue, as is going to the other person's house. Selling a firearm in public could also be an issue if someone notices and calls the police. I suspect that most police stations would have an issue with your doing it there, but you could ask, the worst thing that would happen is that they would say no.

01-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I would think a range would be a good place... And a good excuse to go to the range ;)

01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
That is the best suggestion, I wish I had thought of that!! People should not freak out if they see a firearm at the range.

An outdoor range would be best.

01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
anywhere not in a school zone.

01-04-2012, 7:04 PM
OK Thanks...I'll give LAX shooting range a call since i go there quite a bit.

01-05-2012, 7:55 AM
If you go to a place like Angeles or Oak Tree, the parking area is away from the public and people there are used to seeing long guns.

If the LAX shooting range allows you to do the transfer inside, then it would not be an issue. Outside might be.

01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
This is a little bit off topic, but it would provide me peace of mind if someone could answer this question:

I think it has been established that a long-gun that falls into the Curio and relic category can legally be transferred between two private parties within California (as long as the recipient is allowed to own firearms), without the ten day waiting period or the background check.

However I have heard:

The following:

"FURTHER CAUTION: California law requires ALL firearms transfers at gun shows to go through a licensed dealer."

Which I take to mean that even if the gun is a C&R and the other requirements are met - you still have to go through the licensed dealer process if the transfer occurs AT A GUN SHOW. Is this correct?