PDA

View Full Version : AR + drop-in .22LR conversion + evil features = legit?

GeneralBacardi
03-13-2007, 1:34 PM
If you have an OLL AR-type rifle with one of those drop-in .22LR conversions installed is it no longer considered a "centerfire rifle" because it does not fire centerfire cartridges as configured (which would presumably allow you to have all the evil features that you want such as a detachable mag, pistol grip, collapsing stock, etc.)

-Or-

Is it considered a "centerfire rifle" based on the fact that it is an AR-type lower, despite the fact that you have a rimfire bolt carrier group installed in the upper assembly?

toolman9000
03-13-2007, 1:44 PM
Is it considered a "centerfire rifle" based on the fact that it is an AR-type lower, despite the fact that you have a rimfire bolt carrier group installed in the upper assembly?

Don't do it, if you want a 22 with a pistol grip slap one on 10/22.

blkA4alb
03-13-2007, 2:31 PM
What the lower says on it does not designate or determine the caliber of the firearm. As long as it requires disassembly to remove the conversion or change calibers it is legal.

blkA4alb
03-13-2007, 2:31 PM
Don't do it, if you want a 22 with a pistol grip slap one on 10/22.

Why do you say that?

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 2:40 PM
What the lower says on it does not designate or determine the caliber of the firearm. As long as it requires disassembly to remove the conversion or change calibers it is legal.

So would a lower with a pistol grip and open magwell be legal if there was no upper on it or around.

Say I went shooting with a .22 upper and standard lower. I also brought my .223 upper would it be ok in the process of switching uppers? I mean once I take the .22 upper off would it be illegal? Or would I have to take the grip off then the .22 upper, install MMG or U-15, then the .223 upper?

I didn't read the whole first post. Sorry. In this case you would have to remove the grip then the upper and .22 conversion, correct? Then assemble the .223 upper back on the rifle whithout the grip to be legal, I'm I right or way off topic?

Stanze
03-13-2007, 2:54 PM
Your OLL is a rifle receiver. Although it looks like a CA-banned AR-15 lower receiver, it legally isn't and never will be. Which means that you can build it in any configuration that you like as long as it's legal per Federal, State and Local laws.

Keep in mind, that a DA can charge you with anything and a cop can confiscate your firearm for "safe keeping" IF you consent to a search(I don't recommend it) or there is probable cause or a search warrant. Wheter or not a bogus AW charge holds up in court depends on all sorts of factors you may or may not be prepared to deal with.

Know your rights and the law.

JPN6336
03-13-2007, 3:03 PM
So would a lower with a pistol grip and open magwell be legal if there was no upper on it or around.

Say I went shooting with a .22 upper and standard lower. I also brought my .223 upper would it be ok in the process of switching uppers? I mean once I take the .22 upper off would it be illegal? Or would I have to take the grip off then the .22 upper, install MMG or U-15, then the .223 upper?

I didn't read the whole first post. Sorry. In this case you would have to remove the grip then the upper and .22 conversion, correct? Then assemble the .223 upper back on the rifle whithout the grip to be legal, I'm I right or way off topic?

That sounds like the best way to avoid any potential legal issues. Granted it's not likely, however it is possible that the moment you take that .22 upper off, a LEO may consider your lower with a pistol grip and open magwell an AW. He may be wrong or right, only time and a court decision will tell, but it'll still be a hassle for you. In any case, the lower should be made featureless or a magazine made fixed before the .223 upper is put on the rifle. If not, for the brief time between putting the .223 upper on and removing the evil features or fixing the magazine you have an AW by law.

bwiese
03-13-2007, 3:10 PM
Our prior thinking on this, when the OLL rage was starting, was indeed overconservative.

If you have a semiauto rifle, it can have all evil features and a detachable magazine if it's rimfire.

The law only addresses 'semiauto centerfire rifles'.

I believe you'll see some semiauto 22LR ARs with full features suites on the shelves of CA gunshops pretty soon.