PDA

View Full Version : Everyone hitting mile target with 338 Savage BA 110 today

diego-ted
01-03-2012, 7:34 PM
But I am most proud of my daughter's shot. It took me two shots to dial dope at the mile target. Once acquired everyone was hitting the 18x24" inch target, most on the first shot, a couple needed two rounds. Some were novice longrangers, being this was there first time shooting past 100 yards!! All I can say to the nay sayers is this rifle is FANTASTIC AT ANY PRICE, let alone the 2K I have into it. Here is a pic of my kidd banging steel at one mile!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Rabbit.jpg

NorCArl
01-03-2012, 7:55 PM
Thats awesome, can we have some full pics of the rifle to drool over too?

BDH
01-03-2012, 8:14 PM
Who's optics?
Bruce

UserM4
01-03-2012, 10:10 PM
So zero wind across 1760 yards? And holding half MOA? Must've been a beautiful day! Reloads or factory match ammo?

Droppin Deuces
01-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Where the heck did you find enough space to take a mile shot in San Diego County? Not that it matters, since 700 is my realistic limit. But still...

brian01tj
01-04-2012, 12:03 AM
How did you figure that it was a mile?

Knife Edge
01-04-2012, 1:01 AM
BS....

h0use
01-04-2012, 5:55 AM
Very nice! But were did you shoot at if you don't mind telling? Longest shooting range I know is pala and that only about 875 yards give or take?

dieselpower
01-04-2012, 6:12 AM
first time long range shooter @ over 1700 yards on a portable table... so basically the gun is sitting on the table with the proper tilt and she just pulled the trigger. I do not believe a first time shooter can hit steel at 1 mile. Maybe I just can't allow myself to think that because I know I couldn't without weeks or months of practice.

Good for her if I am wrong.

diego-ted
01-04-2012, 6:22 AM
We walked the target out and measured 1/2 way then out to a mile, did the reverse coming back. Believe what you want, there were half a dozen that did it back to back! I would tell you were it is, but then I would have to snuff you!! Really LOL

The shooting conditions were perfect. We were hitting 750 with the ARs.
the scope is an LRS 1, the ammo hand loads, what can I say we were there and they banged steel out to the mile marker, repeditly!! YOu gotta love it.

Here is the rig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/BA%20110/DSC01110.jpg

sleepercar
01-04-2012, 7:29 AM
Good on you, buddy. Don't mind the haters. Just keep having fun.

BucDan
01-04-2012, 7:33 AM
That must've been fun. Though any hints on the general city of this location? It looks like chapparal vegetation land, so that means north county san diego.

1lostinspace
01-04-2012, 7:40 AM
There is a lot I have dove with a rifle that people don't believe but I know what takes to make a shot like that doing if on a portable table that shakes is a whole other story

diego-ted
01-04-2012, 8:12 AM
believe it or not the table is damn stable and moves little. I had the rear set up on a bag, yes I acquired the target for them, but they still had to keep it between the crosshairs. I know I sound like an informertial for the BA but it is what it is and I love it. Kutos to the guys who carried that 60# piece of steel across the three canyons and up to the top of the mountain, no easy task, took three men 4 hours to accomplish. We have steel at 450, 650, 750, 850, 1139, and 1750 with wind flags set at every target. We are damn lucky, and want to keep the place clean and open, thus the reason I can not tell where it is located.

Diego

Deadon
01-04-2012, 8:22 AM
Nice man! Congrats. I cant wait to get my .338 and shoot those long distances.

Knife Edge
01-04-2012, 8:43 AM
believe it or not the table is damn stable and moves little. I had the rear set up on a bag, yes I acquired the target for them, but they still had to keep it between the crosshairs. I know I sound like an informertial for the BA but it is what it is and I love it. Kutos to the guys who carried that 60# piece of steel across the three canyons and up to the top of the mountain, no easy task, took three men 4 hours to accomplish. We have steel at 450, 650, 750, 850, 1139, and 1750 with wind flags set at every target. We are damn lucky, and want to keep the place clean and open, thus the reason I can not tell where it is located.

Diego

Let me guess, you sell bridges too?

Mac7504
01-04-2012, 9:18 AM
I just love the brotherhood here…I also love reading posts about people keep their locations secret; I mean are they/u paranoid or what…??? Would there really be an invasion of people trying to shoot on “your” secret land? Lol?

School me, please.

If anything, wouldn’t you create new acquaintances that you might enjoy the company of, who also happens to enjoy shooting…??? If not, its open land and NOT like you have to share a land next to them. I guess I just never understood that aspect of it.

diego-ted
01-04-2012, 9:33 AM
All is cool, the thread is about the shooting, not the shooting location. That being said, Komifornia is what it is, and I think they want to limit our access to shooting? There are so many places that have been shut down because of people going ape and not being responsible. Before this place I was figuring I had to drive 3 or more hours out to Barstow to shoot these distances, so we are just trying to keep things cool. We have at least 6 or so Calgunners who come out and there will be more in the future, just have to make sure they are as concerned and serious as we are. We have invested a lot of time and some $$ placing targets out, we would hate to lose the ability to go out and shoot them because of irresponsible shooters. I wish it was not this way, but it is.

Diego

Mac7504
01-04-2012, 9:40 AM
All is cool, the thread is about the shooting, not the shooting location. That being said, Komifornia is what it is, and I think they want to limit our access to shooting? There are so many places that have been shut down because of people going ape and not being responsible. Before this place I was figuring I had to drive 3 or more hours out to Barstow to shoot these distances, so we are just trying to keep things cool. We have at least 6 or so Calgunners who come out and there will be more in the future, just have to make sure they are as concerned and serious as we are. We have invested a lot of time and some $$ placing targets out, we would hate to lose the ability to go out and shoot them because of irresponsible shooters. I wish it was not this way, but it is.

Diego

True, apologies carry on.

Len
01-04-2012, 10:27 AM
The last few times I was at our only close place to shoot, I had to fill the back of my truck with shooters trash.
People are such dicks.
If I had a good spot like that I would not want anyone to know where it was either.
I had a great hunting spot, I never saw another person hunting there for 6 years, I made the mistake of telling a friend about it, I had 6 hunters in the same spot a year later, never again.

justjeff
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
The last few times I was at our only close place to shoot, I had to fill the back of my truck with shooters trash.
People are such dicks.
If I had a good spot like that I would not want anyone to know where it was either.
I had a great hunting spot, I never saw another person hunting there for 6 years, I made the mistake of telling a friend about it, I had 6 hunters in the same spot a year later, never again.

X1000
This is so true!! 3 people can keep a secret if 2 are dead. I have shot deer and turkey on public land here in SD Co. I never share my area's, I have put 100's of hr's in scouting and hiking.

OP great shooting I hope to get into 338 some day. What's the cost per round on the reload's.

rumblebee
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
wow..a guys post turns into "give me your spot" and "BS" calls! :facepalm:

OP...looks like you had a good time, with family and that's really all that matters.

My .02...posting shooting spots\directions on the web, is the kiss of death.

ArmedJackal
01-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Ive got the 110ba in 300 winmag and love that gun. Good for you!

Black Majik
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Good job OP on getting those mile hits. :thumbsup:

It amazes me, people on Calguns are always skeptics. Go onto Snipershide and the responses are totally different. Geez..

foesgth
01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
If you can!

I understand about not sharing your spot. However I would be interested in you sharing your load data.

And yes I will copy it for a try and you can't have it back. Just telling you upfront.

21SF
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Some people in this thread need to chill.

Good job Ted!! keep it up.

Merc1138
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Omg, they didn't have to make the adjustments themselves no proof it's really a mile the table might wobble no picture of the target the shooting spot doesn't exist unless you post the location your measurements aren't accurate enough.

Calguns internet sniper rage is funny sometimes.

Lovin
01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Good job OP on getting those mile hits. :thumbsup:

It amazes me, people on Calguns are always skeptics. Go onto Snipershide and the responses are totally different. Geez..

I'd love to see responses from that forum regarding new shooters hitting a 18x24" target at ~1700yds with a rifle resting on a card table.

Black Majik
01-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd love to see responses from that forum regarding new shooters hitting a 18x24" target at ~1700yds with a rifle resting on a card table.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3013621#Post3013621

ianal
01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3013621#Post3013621

game, set, match.

nice.

$P-Ritch$
01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

^LOL, I guess Black Majik was right about the more positive atmosphere on the Hide after all.

kotton
01-04-2012, 12:22 PM

http://www.latostadora.com/generados/tiendas/6700/dibujos/60414.jpg

RobGR
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
People are such dicks.

Exactly. It'd be great to share location, but then you're basically ruining it for yourself as soon as you reveal it. As unfortunate as that is, that's the way it is. I've learnt not to ask, it puts a person in a conundrum or they might not have had that experience yet. It also all depends who it is though... on an open internet board, just not a good idea.

Would love to try a 338 Savage BA 110 one day, nice looking firearm!

Lovin
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Touche'

Droppin Deuces
01-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Well, it's a good thing you want to keep your spot secret, because I have a car and a refrigerator I've just been itching to get rid of:rolleyes:

Latigo
01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
This is EDM's LR shooting trainer Stewart Wilson making 10 one mile shots at the Marine High Angle Range in Hawthorne.
The doping computer is on the ground to his right.
The target is 36" x 48"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/zfk3155/Wilson1600.jpg

sd_shooter
01-04-2012, 1:03 PM
Good shooting, OP! Don't reveal the spot...

Droppin Deuces
01-04-2012, 1:11 PM
No, stop hiding. Tell us where it is so we can contaminate it with our beer cans and litter it with green and red shotgun shells!

Get over yourselves. Nobody asked for specifics.

Yemff
01-04-2012, 1:28 PM
I just love the brotherhood here…I also love reading posts about people keep their locations secret; I mean are they/u paranoid or what…??? Would there really be an invasion of people trying to shoot on “your” secret land? Lol?

School me, please.

Wow, you really have no clue. There is a reason why there are no places to shoot in San Diego; fyi all of the info on calguns shows up on google, and you'd be kidding yourself to think no one is going to see it and go and ruin it for everyone else.

portegee
01-04-2012, 1:38 PM
It's funny how some people will rag on this guys post because he doesn't give specifics. Maybe if you rag on him hard enough he'll give in to give you driving directions there. To the OP I hope you guys had a great time and seeing how you've got your daughter out the doing what many men can't here that's even better for you.

have fun.

DarkSoul
01-04-2012, 1:42 PM
Hey Diego-ted , could you post up a breakdown of your rifle? I have been looking at one of those Savage BA 110's, and would be interested in what you have done to yours, if anything, other than the optics.

Thanks, and great shooting.

BigBamBoo
01-04-2012, 1:53 PM
first time long range shooter @ over 1700 yards on a portable table... so basically the gun is sitting on the table with the proper tilt and she just pulled the trigger. I do not believe a first time shooter can hit steel at 1 mile. Maybe I just can't allow myself to think that because I know I couldn't without weeks or months of practice.

Really? With today's equipment...rifles,scopes,ballistics apps,ammo,etc....it is fairly "easy" to put rounds on target at ranges unthinkable not that long ago.
And who cares if the first shooter setup everything and had it pretty much dialed in? Does that make any kind of difference in TARGET shooting?
I have taken MANY 1st time shooters and shooters who have never shot past a few hundred yards and had them make 1st round hits at 1000 yards many times.

I know Ted a little bit and know him to be a honest man and know he has come a long ways in the last year with his long range shooting and do not doubt at all that he is telling the truth. Good shooting TED and family/friends!

Take care,Stan

PS...anyone in the Nor. Cal. area who would like to shoot to 1000 yards can always hit me up and we can go out and whack some steel.

Here is a video of a fellow calgunner's I took out for his first time to 1000 yards...1st shot hit and 4 follow up hits. Not bad for someone who never shot to a grand before.

_KV8JhG0BOY

Smidge
01-04-2012, 1:55 PM
Cool!

JHermsen
01-04-2012, 1:56 PM
I'd say the Sniper's Hide response was a pinwheel X at a 1000!

Got a good chuckle out of that! Good on ya Ted!

diego-ted
01-04-2012, 2:48 PM
Hey Diego-ted , could you post up a breakdown of your rifle? I have been looking at one of those Savage BA 110's, and would be interested in what you have done to yours, if anything, other than the optics.

Thanks, and great shooting.

DS, I wish I could tell you I have done this and that to the rifle and that is why it shoots lights out. The truth of the matter is, the rifle is the same as the day I pulled it out of the Box, minus the limb saver pad, see I have a prostedic shoulder?? I did some search on the rifle and mimiced a load, and it will shoot 1/2 moa. Lapua brass, 87gr H1000, 300gr SMK set 20 thou off the lands. Bee, I would say it cost about a buck and a half per round if you get ten reloads out of the brass. Stan, thanks, you KNOW we will be telling more tales of a Tikka stick, very soon!! LOL. Stan is correct, I told all the "new" shooters the interaction with the rifle itself is minimal. They had to either lightly sqeeze the rearbag or minimally push down the stock, they barely had the rifle aginst their shoulder, a light touch on the pistol grip and a gentle straight-back pressue on the trigger, at the end of an exhale. This is how I shoot the rifle as well. Here is a 300 yard target shot on the same day with mild wind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/BA%20110/Col2fin.jpg

I do not have video of the 1 mile shot but here is 1139 yards shot a couple of weeks earler.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/th_Movie.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/?action=view&current=Movie.mp4)

Diego

Diego

Mac7504
01-04-2012, 4:25 PM
Wow, you really have no clue. There is a reason why there are no places to shoot in San Diego; fyi all of the info on calguns shows up on google, and you'd be kidding yourself to think no one is going to see it and go and ruin it for everyone else.

Thats why I asked, smart guy...Not that it matters to me, seeing as how I don't live to in SD.

Good for you, you understand how search engines work...:facepalm:

Mac7504
01-04-2012, 4:31 PM
Really? With today's equipment...rifles,scopes,ballistics apps,ammo,etc....it is fairly "easy" to put rounds on target at ranges unthinkable not that long ago.
And who cares if the first shooter setup everything and had it pretty much dialed in? Does that make any kind of difference in TARGET shooting?
I have taken MANY 1st time shooters and shooters who have never shot past a few hundred yards and had them make 1st round hits at 1000 yards many times.

I know Ted a little bit and know him to be a honest man and know he has come a long ways in the last year with his long range shooting and do not doubt at all that he is telling the truth. Good shooting TED and family/friends!

Take care,Stan

PS...anyone in the Nor. Cal. area who would like to shoot to 1000 yards can always hit me up and we can go out and whack some steel.
Here is a video of a fellow calgunner's I took out for his first time to 1000 yards...1st shot hit and 4 follow up hits. Not bad for someone who never shot to a grand before.

_KV8JhG0BOY

One of the few times I wish I lived further north...Thumbs up!

cabinetguy
01-04-2012, 5:17 PM
nice job OP. I must say I would love to see it for myself. maybe someday I will be lucky enough to try

UserM4
01-04-2012, 7:17 PM
I'd love to try the recipe for your load. My bro just picked one up recently and we didn't get to stretch it's legs but out to 600yds. I think we were holding 1/2MOA at 200yds with SMK. Dang were those 20 rounds expensive!

skkeeter
01-04-2012, 7:26 PM
I do this all the time with family and friends with my DTA SRS, night force glass, and using hand loads as well. Difference is, were shooting a 12x24" plate at only 700y. For myself, this is child's play with the SRS and the .338lm round. Now, most of my family and friends have shot guns before and still only get maybe 2 out of 4 rounds on the steel. But a mile, and first round hits for first time users. Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, but these things do sometimes happen apparently?? Either way I'm sure everyone had a blast. For everyone wanting some recipes for the .338 lm. Check out the Vihtuovori website for their load data. I have used most powders and found the N560 using 250g Lapua scenars, lapua brass, and match primers to have phenomenal results. Just remember to work up the load for your rifle.

Kona Jon
01-05-2012, 7:55 AM
Don't give up the honey hole! While most CalGunners are respectable 2A enthusiasts, there is an occasional douche. Nice rig, great spot, great shots.

Rob454
01-05-2012, 8:20 AM
I think you did great and it looks like youhad a fun family outing. I almost bought of those 110BA is 308 but ended up not doing it.
As for giving up your secret spot I wouldn't do it either. Even if 99% of the people you tell about the spot are gonna leave it spotlessly clean there is the 1% that will trash it. And unfortunately the 1% that will trash it are gonna go there more often. There is a reason that there are all these calls for range cleanups. people don't pick up after themselves and they assume somebody else will come around and will do it

Down Range
01-05-2012, 9:15 AM
But I am most proud of my daughter's shot. It took me two shots to dial dope at the mile target. Once acquired everyone was hitting the 18x24" inch target, most on the first shot, a couple needed two rounds. Some were novice longrangers, being this was there first time shooting past 100 yards!! All I can say to the nay sayers is this rifle is FANTASTIC AT ANY PRICE, let alone the 2K I have into it. Here is a pic of my kidd banging steel at one mile! What an awesome event for you and your daughter! Kudos to you for taking her. So is she now hooked on long-range shooting?

tatt00edangel
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
That rifle is awesome. Someone brought one to a long range class that I took and at the end of the day, we were all hitting the 1000 yard gong on our first shots with that rifle. Good Job!

GunzNHoses89
01-05-2012, 7:18 PM
Congrats, brother, and don't reveal the spot!

tankerman
01-05-2012, 8:50 PM
I'm surprised to see how many Dicks chimed in on this thread.

Nice going, looks like you had a great time with your daughter and friends.

I too know what it's like to have shared info with 'friends'. I'd hunted the area for two years and never saw another person, until my 'friend', shared my spot with a group of his hunting buddies who over ran the area.

Ziggy91
01-05-2012, 9:22 PM
I'm as skeptical as anyone else. Dialing in at 1 mile/1760 yards with only 2 shots without any ballistics calculators or any kind of equipment is either legendary skill or complete BS. I don't want to be negative or choose sides, but this is shifty to anyone.
Honestly, unless your name is Todd Hodnett, I can't believe those shots...

1lostinspace
01-10-2012, 3:24 PM
I am sorry I don't believe you I would be surprised if your got on at 800 yet alone at a mile out and then shooting off a plastic table and 0 with 2 rounds it just sounds crazy

diego-ted
01-10-2012, 3:35 PM
who said I did not have dope?? Sheezee some people, I have a two dope calculators on my I phone for gosh sakes. However, they got me close not on, I had to make the adjustments! LOL I had shot the rifle out to 1139yds plenty before we set the target up at the mile spot!

Diego

Stoopy
01-10-2012, 3:50 PM
who said I did not have dope?? Sheezee some people, I have a two dope calculators on my I phone for gosh sakes. However, they got me close not on, I had to make the adjustments! LOL I had shot the rifle out to 1139yds plenty before we set the target up at the mile spot!

Diego

Seriously who doesn't have dope for their rifles, especially a 338 Lapua. Good job Ted

707electrician
01-10-2012, 4:24 PM
My first time shooting 1000 yards I didn't expect to be on target with only two shots. Im just surprised that the .338 doesn't kill that scope.

Im also mad that I don't have a place to go shoot a mile plus

Latigo
01-10-2012, 5:32 PM
^LOL, I guess Black Majik was right about the more positive atmosphere on the Hide after all.

You can make any claim you want to at SH now. All of us got the same notice about jumping on any member. 1 warning, 2 you're off for a few months, 3 you're gone.

Madpyro
01-10-2012, 6:05 PM
Great shooting! Sounds like you and your family had a great day!

dirtydrew
01-10-2012, 6:19 PM
I am amazed at the affordability and performance of that scope!

bubbapug1
01-10-2012, 6:31 PM
Totally doable on a calm day with that scope and caliber.

And keep that spot to yourself...except for me of course. I have a Ma Duece I'd like to air out. I'll wear a blindfold, leave my cell phone and GPS at home, what ever it takes.

If he dialed in the scope to zero at one mile I can't see why no one believes his story line. Looks like they were shooting free recoil too.

skkeeter
01-10-2012, 6:35 PM
What makes these shots at these distances really hard is not as much the rifle, scope and ammo, but the winds. Of course those all matter as well, but wind drift at a mile is very unpredictable and very, very hard to read. If there is no wind, then the odds of anyone hitting the target increases dramatically. This must of been a very calm day.

Steve1968LS2
01-10-2012, 6:44 PM

Wow.. heavy ownage there... lol

Gotta love the haters on the interwebs.. :)

Steve1968LS2
01-10-2012, 6:46 PM
Let me guess, you sell bridges too?

You sorta come off as a jerk in your posts.. just sayin'

Steve1968LS2
01-10-2012, 7:25 PM

Diego

I wouldn't sweat it.. most of the guys that "act expert" on here most likely are full of BS themselves..

Nice story, thanks for sharing and good job getting others out to shoot.. I would love to get into long range precision shooting someday, but I already have too many hobbies. lol

bcrich
01-10-2012, 7:28 PM
What muzzle velocity are you getting with 87g H1000 and 300g smk? What was your dope for 1760yds? (guessing 60 something moa) Im still trying to find the G spot for my 338.

Norsemen308
01-10-2012, 7:32 PM
Kudos for taking your daughter out and teachin her!!

dont let the jackwaggons pester you, half of them are the same jack asses that leave shell packaging and bottles at my spot... i hate it

GMG
01-10-2012, 7:56 PM
Great shooting Diego with family and friends !

Merc1138
01-11-2012, 2:58 PM
I just realized the solution for people running their mouths and making comments about card tables in other threads.

Your card table isn't tactical enough. Paint it black, OD green, or FDE and they'll stop complaining. Then it'll be a tactical quick folding lightweight polymer shooting bench.

Manpants
01-11-2012, 3:30 PM
I just realized the solution for people running their mouths and making comments about card tables in other threads.

Your card table isn't tactical enough. Paint it black, OD green, or FDE and they'll stop complaining. Then it'll be a tactical quick folding lightweight polymer shooting bench.

My TacTable has rails and a visible laser. Sadly in California I had to install a folder button. I can no longer close it with one hand unless I wrap the legs and remove the Chair Hider.

peter95
01-11-2012, 3:53 PM
that sounds like sooooo much fun!! Take me next time!!!

Richard Erichsen
01-11-2012, 5:43 PM

The claim on this one just smells funny. Any unedited video of the event?

R

covingtonhouse
01-11-2012, 6:31 PM
It's funny...... shooters are just now learning what surfers and fishermen have known for years...secrets spots are exactly that for a reason. There's a bumper sticker out there "surfing sucks, don't try it". too many ignorant people trashing spots.

scope eye 619
01-14-2012, 2:16 PM
Too all the non believers out there questioning the legitimacy of the one mile shot off a card table, thank you for your scepticism. That simply tells me we are able to pull off a shot at a distance that is well out of your comfort zone and that makes me feel GREAT:) to tell me that's not a mile I welcome you to strap a 50lb piece of steal and huff it up that mountain..... But on second thought I would reveal the location of our spot so never mind.

P.S
Nanny nanny boo boo stick your head in doo doo

Sincerely The mile club

CSACANNONEER
01-14-2012, 2:31 PM
While I find it hard to believe, it's not impossible. I know that I took a 14 year old out to a 1000 yard range and made him start with an unsighted optic. His second shot was 2" under the clay pigeon he was shooting at and his third shot dusted it. So, if a relatively inexperienced shooter can hit clay pigeons at 1000 yards (under .4moa), I don't see why some other inexperienced shooters can't hit a .5moa target at a further distance IF CONDITIONS are perfect.

problemchild
01-14-2012, 2:36 PM
I totally believe this person and here is why.

My buddy and I clocked off 1 mile in his jeep after placing a torso target half way up a large sand dune in AZ. He spotted and I shot. With a Rem 700 and a 10X scope I dialed and then used kentucky windage to hit the torso target 6 out of 10 times with a 308. So it can be done. With a 338 and a good 25x scope its not an issue it all with no wind.

The Gleam
01-14-2012, 2:48 PM
Diego-ted is out shooting, photos to prove it, claims fantastic results but doesn't have to prove a thing to anyone. His accomplishment is highly possible and plausible, even if difficult. I've done things that also seem unbelievable in my long life, with doubters; it happens. Yet the only person it really matters to that he did what he did is him and his friends. He's happy. He went shooting and had a great day. :)

Naysayers and skeptics are stuck to their keyboard. Bitter. Doubtful. Not shooting. Not happy, maybe even jealous. Sorry to be them. :mad:

Iloveguns
01-14-2012, 3:23 PM

My buddy and I clocked off 1 mile in his jeep after placing a torso target half way up a large sand dune in AZ. He spotted and I shot. With a Rem 700 and a 10X scope I dialed and then used kentucky windage to hit the torso target 6 out of 10 times with a 308. So it can be done. With a 338 and a good 25x scope its not an issue it all with no wind.

Ok Is there any sarcasim in this at all? Because a new person to shooting in perfect conditions with a .338 lapua maybe. But a 308 out to a mile???? Would love to hear the type of load he was using!!! If anybody wants to call BS on a story thats the one that should be called BS!!! Torso sized target thats funny!! These guys are hitting a rock the size of a car at 1 mile and thats 6 out of 10!!!

qvo-UKLhei0&feature=related

mattt
01-14-2012, 5:26 PM
After spending part of today in the pits of a 1k match you need to make up a team of the poeple with you and shoot the nationals in Raton this year.

ArmyMedicMoose
01-14-2012, 5:27 PM
I calling BS

Time of Flight
01-15-2012, 2:19 AM
Call BS all you want, I was there too and I can say without a doubt that all of us (except a few, cough cough JASON cough) hit that target, and for me personally, it was hit with ease.

Yes, it was a calm day, and yes the rig is very precise/accurate. Those factors really contributed to the success of the feat...But really people, its not that hard at all if you take your time and tenderly squeeze the trigger with the utmost care...

Honestly I was surprised at how easy the target was to hit, and yes it really is a mile as I was one of the crazy bastards that had to walk out there to place those targets. Believe it or not, it really makes no difference to me or my friends. We just thought we would share our story, so take it as you will; makes no difference to us, as we will continue to have our fun regardless!

Nodda Duma
01-15-2012, 4:02 AM
Good shooting! I miss long distance shootings... one of the very few drawbacks to having moved to NH. There's only two ranges that I know of in the state that go out past 300 yds.

-Jason

Knife Edge
01-15-2012, 6:58 AM
So who carried the 80# of steel through the vegetation and elevation? Oh... You had those guys with you too....

diego-ted
01-15-2012, 2:45 PM
It took four determined long range shooters to hump the steel and one heafe tO guide them to the spot!!! LOL

IrishPirate
01-15-2012, 3:04 PM
nice shooting OP, wish i had that kind of luck. I always seem to bring wind with me when I shoot past 100yds.

I'd love to get a 338 at some point....how much does it cost to reload per round? what reloading setup are you using??

I'm all for not telling anyone about good shooting spots too. I used to think it was selfish until i saw first hand what happens when the word gets out. It's a shame how your friend's, friend's, brother's, roomate's, cousin's, buddy is always a douche that trashes shooting ranges.

IrishPirate
01-15-2012, 3:21 PM

AND THE "ONE-UPPER OF THE YEAR" AWARD GOES TO.......:rolleyes:

was the torse a life sized jolly green giant? and by 1 mile, did you mean "up a windy road"? because if so then i totally believe you... the .308 is a magic round that takes talent to be consistent at 1000yds with, but at 1 mile it becomes deadly accurate and even hip shots are easy to pull off :cool:

and 10x mag is CLEARLY more than enough for 1mile...that's why all long range snipers only ever use 10x right?

ArmyMedicMoose
01-15-2012, 3:24 PM
AND THE "ONE-UPPER OF THE YEAR" AWARD GOES TO.......:rolleyes:

was the torse a life sized jolly green giant? and by 1 mile, did you mean "up a windy road"? because if so then i totally believe you... the .308 is a magic round that takes talent to be consistent at 1000yds with, but at 1 mile it becomes deadly accurate and even hip shots are easy to pull off :cool:

LOL love it, I shoot my 700 Police and man its hard work making 1200 yards shots, I cant say I can hit 6 out of 10 shot. this man need an award