PDA

View Full Version : Woodsmaster 742 Failure to Extract

pepsi2451
03-13-2007, 12:38 PM
I picked up a used Remington Woodsmaster 742 in 30-06 a while back. First thing I did when I picked it up was take it home and clean it. Then I took it shooting and it failed to extract the first shell. I took it home (forgot cleaning rod) and got the case out, then re-cleaned it. I took it shooting again and the same thing. I have tried 3 or 4 kinds of factory ammo with the same problem. Any idea what the problem is? How much do you think it would cost to have a gunsmith fix it?

Pvt. Cowboy
03-13-2007, 1:19 PM
I picked up a used Remington Woodsmaster 742 in 30-06 a while back. First thing I did when I picked it up was take it home and clean it. Then I took it shooting and it failed to extract the first shell. I took it home (forgot cleaning rod) and got the case out, then re-cleaned it. I took it shooting again and the same thing. I have tried 3 or 4 kinds of factory ammo with the same problem. Any idea what the problem is? How much do you think it would cost to have a gunsmith fix it?

These rifles are difficult for the non-gunsmith to properly disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Martin B. Retting has a gunsmith very familiar with these rifles, and I was charged $100 for a complete service job on a 742 I once owned.

pepsi2451
03-13-2007, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the info, but I don't think it is from being dirty. I should have said earlier it is biting the case, but you can't pull it out it will just rip the case. I have to knock it out with a cleaning rod. Could this be a headspace issue?

Pvt. Cowboy
03-13-2007, 3:24 PM
Thanks for the info, but I don't think it is from being dirty. I should have said earlier it is biting the case, but you can't pull it out it will just rip the case. I have to knock it out with a cleaning rod. Could this be a headspace issue?

Is there any obvious indication of a headspacing problem?

I seem to recall that the kooky bolt and extractor on the 742 is prone to failure to properly extract when gunked up or dirty. Remember that these rifles aren't easy to strip and clean, and as a result the Fudds that owned them fired a few rounds a year and never cracked them open for detailed maintenance. Your gun is also probably 40+ years old and isn't going to withstand long term neglect. The cleaning solution/lubricating media may have chemically changed since it was last applied. I don't know how detailed you were in cleaning it, but like I said before, the 742 Woodsmaster auto is one finicky and complicated system.

By the way, if you would like to acquire a few genuine Remington 4-round mags for the 742 brand new in the factory packaging, let me know.