PDA

View Full Version : Legality of a fixed mag Intratec AB-10 pistol

AJAX22
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I was just reading through the AW list again, and I noticed that the Tec9 is specifically mentioned, but the AB-10 (what the Tec 9 was manufactured as without the threaded barrel and barrel shroud) is not listed.

Would it be legal to get a PPT of an AB10 that had been modified (by cutting off the mag release lever and using a 10 round magazine)?

I know they are junk, and I know that there are better ways to waste money, but they are one of the Iconic 'evil' guns that we aren't supposed to be able to have and it would be fun to legally posess something they thought they had gotten rid of.

Is it legal?

Stanze
03-13-2007, 11:16 AM
The handgun would have to be submitted for the CA-DOJ "Drop Safety Testing" certification and it would have to pass, and fees would need to be paid for it to be added to CA's so-called "Safe Handgun" list.:rolleyes:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

The pistol you described isn't even eligible under CA law for submission due to the fact that there is no loaded chamber indicator AND magazine disconnect safety.

Sucks the big one, I know.

If you want something similar along those lines, put some owned and resident of CA before 1/1/2000 33 rounders in a GLOCK 17, may not look G enuff! But, it'll be way more reliable!:D

Lohse
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
He's talking about a PPT. The safe handgun list only applies to buying new handguns.

Stanze
03-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Doh, I missed that. Thanks. If the firearm is currently a registered "Assualt Weapon", then one can remove the SB-23 features to unregister it(note, it can never be registered again as a "Assualt Weapon" under current CA law.).

If the firearm is not a registered "Assault Weapon" it's contraband and I would stay away from it.

bwiese
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Aside from listing issues, I do believe this gun has a barrel shroud/handguard as part of its frame and which is not a slide, as well as a forward magazine.

12276.1(a)(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one
of the following: (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

(B) A second handgrip.

(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

I have not thought much about pistol stuff w/fixed magazines yet. And I really can't see the utility for a crap gun like this.

AJAX22
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
The AB10 pistol had a version which didn't have the shroud, (it looks goofy but I was wondering if it may be exempt)

http://www.rirwin.com/images/ab10.JPG

I admit the only reason I was even thinking about it was because it's taboo, It's not about utility in this case. The only function of the gun is to be a bullet hose, and its utility as one of those is eliminated when you pin a 10 round mag in place.

It might be a fun prop when converted to fire blanks. (I'm a film student) but I'm just grasping at straws to find a use for it.

Mostly it'd just be one more piece for the collection thats analogous to something I'm not supposed to have.

It falls along the same lines as a bushmaster carbon 15 pistol with pinned mag or a krinkov kit pistol with a pinned mag. not really usefull, but legally buying one and hanging it on the wall is a big middle finger to a rediculous law.

NeoWeird
03-13-2007, 4:13 PM
You know I like the idea of fixed mag pistols, especially since someone recently made the connection of using a bullet button style release with them. I'd so easily go for a Ruger 10/22 pistol, or a Krink pistol. I must admit that the Tec-9, or it's similar variants, never really did much for me but I would imagine there IS a way for those willing to jump through the hoops.

Turbinator
03-13-2007, 5:45 PM
It's going to be a royal pain in the backside to load a fixed 10 round magazine in an Intratec AB10. There is no bolt hold open provision at all, so you're going to have to hold the bolt back and try to load one at a time through the ejection port. You can try it, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Turby

AJAX22
03-13-2007, 7:05 PM
It's going to be a royal pain in the backside to load a fixed 10 round magazine in an Intratec AB10. There is no bolt hold open provision at all, so you're going to have to hold the bolt back and try to load one at a time through the ejection port. You can try it, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Turby

I think It would be a simple matter to cut a slot for the bolt handle to allow it to be rotated to hold the bolt open. (like a sten)

and if a AB10 doesn't float your boat, you could always build an intertec skorpion .22 pistol

http://www.adamsauctioneers.com/images/1920/Guns/P1010057.JPG

they take ruger 10/22 magazines and could have a 10 round rotary pinned in place, they take down with a button on the back, and are quick and easy to take apart, put togeather.

mason1800
04-07-2008, 4:02 PM
I actually just replaced the firing pin on one of these not long ago. This gun is not very good for anything, plus they jam to much. But I will also like to find out the legality of a PPT. Might want to pick one up myself.

aplinker
04-07-2008, 4:40 PM
Bullet button gets around all the features, just like an AR.

From the standpoint of finger to the DOJ I love them. :)

Of course we all know every banned pistol is pretty much a blessing because they royally suck fat donkey. But since you're putting a BB on anyways, who cares?

Shoot from the hip and don't stop to reload.

tonelar
04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I have the intertec tec22, had it since the 80s.
it functioned poorly until it got steel lips butler creek mags.

As far as complying with the current laws;
You wouldn't need a buklet button; so much as cutting the release down enough that you'd need a car key (tool) to release the mag.

saki302
04-08-2008, 4:40 AM
I was shooting next to a guy who had an original Tec-9 about 15 years ago. I remember it jamming every 2nd shot.

When they banned them, I thought to myself- gee, if I were a cop, I want EVERY gangbanger to be armed with one! :D

They do look evil though.

-Dave

AJAX22
04-08-2008, 7:37 PM
You can make any AW (not banned by name, but only by features) CA compliant for PPT if you dissasemble it far enough.

stripped frames by themselves don't have any banned featrues.

Then you can build it up into a CA legal configuration.

If anyone has a registered AW Intratec skorpion .22 that they want to part with I'd like to get one ;) or an AB10

Just so I can have one in my collection.

We can submit the paperwork to remove it from the AW listing then do a PPT on the stripped frame.

SemperFi
03-16-2010, 8:01 PM
I got into this thread late due to being deployed... I have had an AB-10 since 1999. I was too busy training that I never reregistered it as an AW. So now I just took it apart so its "legal". Any one know what I can do to make it legal and functional?

Swift Justice
03-17-2010, 5:52 AM
I bought a tec 9 new back in the 80's with all the goodies - forward grip, case, extra mags, etc. I was such a badazz. That was until I couldn't get it to fire more than five rounds of any make of ball ammo without jamming. I sold it about a year later and was glad to see it go. It looked totally cool but was worthless as a weapon.

AJAX22
03-17-2010, 5:55 AM
I got into this thread late due to being deployed... I have had an AB-10 since 1999. I was too busy training that I never reregistered it as an AW. So now I just took it apart so its "legal". Any one know what I can do to make it legal and functional?

Modify or replace the magazine catch with a recessed one that requires a tool to operate.

In the time since this thread was discussed, they have become more common thanks to PRKarms.

SemperFi
04-10-2010, 2:18 AM
I'm ordering the parts from another calgunner ASAP, just need to find a kit to make a 10 round mag out of this 32...

SemperFi
04-10-2010, 2:19 AM
I just cruised by Fresno yesterday too, PRK is a bit far from Camp Pendleton...

SemperFi
07-16-2010, 1:57 PM
...done with the mod thanks to JaMail, and found out that since I bought this in 99 wit hthe magizine (and still have the reciept to prove it) I don't have to do a thing to the 32 round magazine!

sniper4usmc
07-16-2010, 4:44 PM
I have RAW AB10
But I dont shoot anymore..
because,it jam jam jam.lube or no lube,it still jam
it is POS..but I only paid $189 back in 98

AJAX22
07-16-2010, 5:07 PM
I wish I had one that was a raw...... I have sone ideas for modifying one with a sten mkii front end which should fix the jamming issues

Turbinator
07-16-2010, 8:41 PM
...done with the mod thanks to JaMail, and found out that since I bought this in 99 wit hthe magizine (and still have the reciept to prove it) I don't have to do a thing to the 32 round magazine!

Huh? Why not?

Turby

sniper4usmc
07-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Here is my POS RAW AB10 with BSA Laser
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jordan75lebron/IMG_0381.jpg

SemperFi
07-17-2010, 11:31 AM
When I went to register it with the base PMO they said I didn't have to since I had proof that I owned it before January 1 2000.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions

9. If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of
it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to
accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before
January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1,
2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale,
expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in
California except by law enforcement agencies, California
peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

SemperFi
07-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Mine would have been a RAW but I never could get around to re-registering it as an AW back in 99 or 2000 so the mod had to be done...

ke6guj
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Mine would have been a RAW but I never could get around to re-registering it as an AW back in 99 or 2000 so the mod had to be done...

right, but since it is not a RAW and has a mag-lock, you cant use those 32-round magazines in it without creating an unregistered AW. You'd need to use <11-round mags in it to be legal.

SemperFi
07-17-2010, 9:25 PM
...I don't understand, base PMO was going by CA law and said I was good to go even with that 32 round mag that came with it. Are you suggesting that (to be safe) I get a kit that makes it a 10? I have searched and only saw 20 rnd mag kits...

ke6guj
07-17-2010, 9:48 PM
...I don't understand, base PMO was going by CA law and said I was good to go even with that 32 round mag that came with it. Are you suggesting that (to be safe) I get a kit that makes it a 10? I have searched and only saw 20 rnd mag kits...

I'm going by your other posts where it looks like you needed to mod it, and that the PMO said you did not need to register it, it appears that you did not register it as an AW and needed to set it up in a non-AW configuration. If you went fixed mag to avoid AW status, you may not use an 11+ round mag in a semi-automatic pistol that is setup in a fixed mag configuration.

Turbinator
07-18-2010, 8:23 AM
I'm going by your other posts where it looks like you needed to mod it, and that the PMO said you did not need to register it, it appears that you did not register it as an AW and needed to set it up in a non-AW configuration. If you went fixed mag to avoid AW status, you may not use an 11+ round mag in a semi-automatic pistol that is setup in a fixed mag configuration.

Correct - what SemperFi is doing is not legal. Locked mag, then he needs a 10 round mag in there.

Turby

AJAX22
07-19-2010, 9:35 AM
If it's not a reg aw, and you fixed the mag lock to be legal, then you can only run 10 round mags, which are almost impossible to find, and mostly have to be made from mag rebuild kits custom

iluvlocks
08-30-2010, 5:35 PM
how would i pin the mag? wouldn't i need to shorten the spring ? any help thx

AJAX22
08-30-2010, 6:26 PM
You can do it with a pop rivit if you know what youre doing...

I know a guy who can do it for you but he's not cheap.

SemperFi
02-01-2011, 8:12 PM
Sorry guys been really busy, I know I'm good (legal) with the modded 10 round mag. If I were to leave it as is then its still not legal without the mag lock... I would get rid of this gun but I was my first and still looks intimidating :)

supermario
02-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Just cut off the mag release with a dremel tool, to the point where yu cannot use your fingers to release mag and have to use a tool.
Make sure yu keep that 10rn mag in it and your good to go!
FYI, the Tec 9's jammed a lot but ther AP9 made be Kimmel are very reliable. I think PRK sells the AP9 and they are fun to shoot!

SemperFi
02-02-2011, 4:59 PM
Yeah I know I mentioned that I have it modded on post #20, I need to mod the mag is all. My Tec 9 would jam alot with reloads but not as much with good quality ammo. I forgot about Kimmel's AP9 I'll check them out! Thanks!