PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Barrel Down.

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 8:47 AM
I plan on cutting my marlin .22 barrel down to 16". How do I measure the 16 inches? Do I measure the exposed barrel outside the receiver or do I also include the section that sticks into the receiver? Any help would be great.

TonyM
03-13-2007, 8:50 AM
I plan on cutting my marlin .22 barrel down to 16". How do I measure the 16 inches? Do I measure the exposed barrel outside the receiver or do I also include the section that sticks into the receiver? Any help would be great.

IIRC correctly it should be measured inside the barrel, down to the bolt face when the bolt is closed.

Remember, your barrel needs a proper crown, if you just cut it down the accuracy will be drastically reduced.

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
IIRC correctly it should be measured inside the barrel, down to the bolt face when the bolt is closed.

Remember, your barrel needs a proper crown, if you just cut it down the accuracy will be drastically reduced.

Thanks, Tony. I've seen crowning lathe bits on brownells, do I need to purchase one or does the crown just need to in a rounded shape? How inportant is the correct crowning? I have three marlins and barrels are cheap so I'm not too worried about messing it up.

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I noticed that I have a couple lathe bit blanks. What would be a good radius for the crowning on a .22?

Sydwaiz
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Just make sure your crown is even. That is the important thing. Not so much the shape or the angle but concentricity and no burrs.

bwiese
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Oh sweet Jeezus, more home Dremel gunsmithing.

Take it to a gunsmith fergawdsakes.

Technical Ted
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM

He's got the tools (He does mention a lathe) and I presume the basic skills. Along with a couple of spares. Even Randall Rausch had to start somewhere. I say more power to him.

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Teds right. I got a lathe, heck I got a hole machine shop. I guess I would still be considered a homesmith(no education). When I'm done I'll post pics of the rifle(or any missing limbs:D ). Then I'll let everyone judge my skills.

I never take my car to the shop, have anyone fix anything at my home, and won't take my guns to a gunsmith for any reason. Why pay someone to do it when you can do it yourself. Now if I didn't have the tools and couldn't even get my shoelaces tied correctly, I'd think twice about this project. But I do and I can so we'll see how this turns out.

maxicon
03-13-2007, 2:01 PM
I've heard the best way to measure barrel length is from the bolt face - drop a dowel into the barrel with the bolt closed, mark it at the end of the barrel, and use that to figure out how much to cut off.

It's always a good idea to add an extra quarter- or half-inch to avoid BATF short-ruler problems...

Crowning is pretty critical, and 11 degree is a standard crown for many rifles.

Here's a good overview page:
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

ARRRR-15
03-13-2007, 2:11 PM
I've heard the best way to measure barrel length is from the bolt face - drop a dowel into the barrel with the bolt closed, mark it at the end of the barrel, and use that to figure out how much to cut off.

It's always a good idea to add an extra quarter- or half-inch to avoid BATF short-ruler problems...

Crowning is pretty critical, and 11 degree is a standard crown for many rifles.

Here's a good overview page:
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

Thanks for the link Max. I ended up taking the barrel off the receiver and measureing that way. I did add an extra 1/2 inch just to be safe. It's cut right now and just waiting to be crowned. I also am going to thread it with 1/2 28 thread to take standard AR Breaks/Hiders. I may even make a fake can for it. I'll post pics of the complete rifle when finished.

blacklisted
03-13-2007, 4:14 PM
It might be a good idea to go with 16.25-16.5" to prevent issues with 'defective' measuring devices.

ETA: maxicon beat me to it :D

Bagger
03-13-2007, 5:22 PM
Teds right. I got a lathe, heck I got a hole machine shop. I guess I would still be considered a homesmith(no education). When I'm done I'll post pics of the rifle(or any missing limbs:D ). Then I'll let everyone judge my skills.

I never take my car to the shop, have anyone fix anything at my home, and won't take my guns to a gunsmith for any reason. Why pay someone to do it when you can do it yourself. Now if I didn't have the tools and couldn't even get my shoelaces tied correctly, I'd think twice about this project. But I do and I can so we'll see how this turns out.

Heck when can i stop By :D

ARRRR-15
03-14-2007, 8:41 AM
It might be a good idea to go with 16.25-16.5" to prevent issues with 'defective' measuring devices.

ETA: maxicon beat me to it :D

Yeah, I did add a 1/2 inch just to be safe. (Post #10) Looks like I posted the answer before you posted the suggestion.:p I also made sure I had the right ruler. We got a couple of rulers that compensate for shrinkage, so you can make an original part to cast out of aluminum.

I lady borrowed one from here to measure for new carpet.:eek: Lets just that the carpet was a few feet short when it arrived.:D