PDA

View Full Version : Length Questions

ts
03-13-2007, 2:39 AM
Okay, I have been thinking about this for a while:

Say you had a break down rifle, and when you carried it you took it apart into 2 pieces: First piece being 16" long lets say, and second being 12" long. If you got pulled over with that would it be illegal because it is not 26" (or the CA 30").

Now I realize that an AR-15 receiver is far from 26" long but that is not shootable.

Say you were cleaning your AR and you removed the stock - would you have an AW in your possession?

Say I wanted to transport my UZI in a smaller case, say I removed the stock and barrel, would that be an AW since it is not 26"?

Please explain to me guys,
Thanks,
Tony

nothing4u
03-13-2007, 2:58 AM
If it's not assembled it's not a gun. It's just parts.

chiefcrash
03-13-2007, 6:41 AM
I'm pretty sure you're ok. I know a couple of the Kel-Tec guns that fold in half are only legal because they can't be fired in their folded position...

rocknut
03-13-2007, 10:58 AM
The one that I wandered about is the AK. If you remove the stock its only about 24" and can still be fired if the rest is assembled.

jdberger
03-13-2007, 11:33 AM
The one that I wandered about is the AK. If you remove the stock its only about 24" and can still be fired if the rest is assembled.

I THINK that if you remove the stock from an AK you start running into issues with the Feds (but I could be completely wong here).

Perhaps it's best to just leave the stock on?

chiefcrash
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
i'm pretty sure that there's some common sense (gasp!) that comes into play here.

If you remove the stock from your AK for cleaning/repair/replacement/etc, i doubt any jury would really convict you of having an assault weapon...

now if you take off the stock from your AK and take it to the range, that's another matter...

bwiese
03-13-2007, 11:46 AM
An AR separated in two halves is fine. The receiver side alone is not a semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

When assembled back together, it has to be 30" or longer - *unless* it were a manual-cycled rifle (i.e, nonsemiautomatic) or a rimfire rifle (i.e, not centerfire) - in which case the 26" rule would hold.

[I am pretty sure (someone correct me, it's been awhile since I touched an AK) that a 16"-bbl'd AK without a stock is still 26" OAL and is Fed-compliant. Just 'thinking out loud', a Mossberg 500 Cruiser shotgun w/18+" bbl and pistol-grip only also exceeds 26" OAL length - and while the AK bbl is 2+" shorter than a Mossy 500 bbl, its receiver is about that length longer for an approximate net wash.]