PDA

View Full Version : Quicker lock than a trigger lock?

adrenalinejunkie
01-02-2012, 7:49 PM
I have a trigger lock on my HD 590, but it seems like it'd be a little slow, especially in a HD situation, even though I keep the key next to my bed at night. A gun cabinet is the only safe-like apparatus within my budget right now, but i'd think this would require as much dexterity as a trigger lock. Can anyone suggest a security device that would be quicker to get off?

aippi
01-02-2012, 7:58 PM
Do you have children in the home or coming to your Home? Only reason for a trigger lock that I know of in your own home.

Even with kids in my home, I never used trigger locks. We keep our bedroom door locked because I would lay my duty belt on the dresser and other weapons were in the closet. My wife was spot on about having that door locked if she even went out to the patio to sit with a neighbor.

Better off with a baseball bat for HD then a weapon you can't get the lock off in a hurry.

adrenalinejunkie
01-02-2012, 8:02 PM
Do you have children in the home or coming to your Home? Only reason for a trigger lock that I know of in your own home.

Even with kids in my home, I never used trigger locks. We keep our bedroom door locked because I would lay my duty belt on the dresser and other weapons were in the closet. My wife was spot on about having that door locked if she even went out to the patio to sit with a neighbor.

Better off with a baseball bat for HD then a weapon you can't get the lock off in a hurry.

Yeah a 17 year old and a 14 year old. They don't know where it is and know never to touch it while it's loaded/im not there. The main reason I have it on is so it can't be fired by someone who I don't want firing it God forbid someone breaks in and i'm not there.

Turo
01-02-2012, 8:22 PM
Yeah a 17 year old and a 14 year old. They don't know where it is and know never to touch it while it's loaded/im not there. The main reason I have it on is so it can't be fired by someone who I don't want firing it God forbid someone breaks in and i'm not there.

If someone breaks into your house and steals your gun, no amount of trigger locking will prevent them from cutting it off.

Now, if you can't trust your kids to not touch it (and any of their friends who might come over when you aren't there) then I'd suggest locking the gun up in any way you feel fit while you're not home, and unlocking it when you are there.

adrenalinejunkie
01-02-2012, 8:24 PM
If someone breaks into your house and steals your gun, no amount of trigger locking will prevent them from cutting it off.

Now, if you can't trust your kids to not touch it (and any of their friends who might come over when you aren't there) then I'd suggest locking the gun up in any way you feel fit while you're not home, and unlocking it when you are there.

It's not the stealing of the gun that i'd be worried about as much as it God forbid being used against me if I come home to a break in. Locking it when i'm not home would be the same as the trigger lock- i'm just a forgetful person and would forget to lock it when I leave :facepalm:

sdjetpilot
01-02-2012, 8:27 PM
www.shotlock.com (http://www.shotlock.com) check this out. i dont have one im actually waiting if the price will go down or if i can get a used one.

adrenalinejunkie
01-02-2012, 8:32 PM
www.shotlock.com (http://www.shotlock.com) check this out. i dont have one im actually waiting if the price will go down or if i can get a used one.

Hm interesting thanks for the link. It seems like punching in the code might take as long as putting in the key and turning it though. Still looks like a really secure option though.

adrenalinejunkie
01-03-2012, 6:28 PM
Still looking and nothing short of a locking cabinet seems to be quicker. Anyone have any other input?

mikey357
01-03-2012, 7:03 PM
Still looking and nothing short of a locking cabinet seems to be quicker. Anyone have any other input?

How bout this one, if you dont like punching in a combo. It uses a tubular key

http://www.usab2c.com/product/gunlocks_gunstocks_made_inamerica/thepiecekeeper_gunlock

theduece
01-03-2012, 7:51 PM
Put the key on the same ring as your car keys? You leave you need your keys they are in gun cabinet, lock cabinet/lock take keys leave. Get home make it your routine to unlock it and leave car keys inside of gun locking device.

After awhile this will become routine to you. Should help. Now if your kids may get ahold of it then forget what I said. Mine never go into my room and they know more about firearm safety then most adults.....

adrenalinejunkie
01-04-2012, 10:04 AM
How bout this one, if you dont like punching in a combo. It uses a tubular key

http://www.usab2c.com/product/gunlocks_gunstocks_made_inamerica/thepiecekeeper_gunlock

That seems like it'd definitely be quicker but I dont know about having the shotgun out on display. Hmm..

Put the key on the same ring as your car keys? You leave you need your keys they are in gun cabinet, lock cabinet/lock take keys leave. Get home make it your routine to unlock it and leave car keys inside of gun locking device.

After awhile this will become routine to you. Should help. Now if your kids may get ahold of it then forget what I said. Mine never go into my room and they know more about firearm safety then most adults.....

That does sound like a good plan. Gives me a reason to get a locking cabinet haha. My gun lock keys are on my house keys already but that's the problem with a trigger lock- can't leave the leys on it so I remember to lock it when I leave.