PDA

View Full Version : Hello/ questions regarding building an AR15

SPQR
03-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Hello gentlemen,

I have been referred by people from other gun forums to this place. Like the majority here, I'm from California. I been wanting to build an AR15 for some time. I have taken the time to read some of the articles regarding building an AR. Very interesting and informative material. Yet, it gets complicated at times.

One way I would like to go is buy a receiver that accepts detachable magazines. I seen many people on different forums build an AR with a receiver that will feed detachable magazines. Not like those that have a permanent attached magazine. Those same people also claim to have Pre Ban 10+ round Magazines and use them with the AR that they built. So in reality, these are AR15's with 30 round magazines. Is this option legal? I have 5 30 round Pre Ban Magazines that were given to me back in 97. They been just laying there all this time. If I could use these magazines, this option would work for me.

The other option is building an AR with a permanent attached magazine. If I was to go this way, would I save any money rather than just buying one? This one sells for 700.00
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/jackrucker/pix862123125.jpg

The features I would like an AR are pretty much the same ones as the one in pic above. How much am I looking at, if I decided to build my own. Any uppers/lowers,merchants,quality recommendations would be appreciated.

hoffmang
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
First, I suggest you read the FAQ: http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

Its only outdated as to how it handles the "open mag well" issues.

Once you commit to building an AR like rifle on an Off List Lower you have to primary paths to go down.

If you'd like features on your rifle that are "evil features" per California law, then you will need to build a pinned magazine rifle with either the Prince-50 set screw kit or the bullet button or Range Safe Mag Lock. You are restricted to 10 round or less magazines there however.

If you want to use large capacity magazines you owned before 2000, then you need to build a rifle that has no SB-23 prohibited features and uses either the Monsterman Grip or the U-15 stock.

Do a search and look at the photos to see your options.

PS - the only "evil features" you look to have there is a flash hider and pistol grip fyi.

-Gene

Sal
03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
to use those 30 round magazines, you cant have a pistol grip, flash hider or the collapsable stock.

to be able to use a detachable magazine you cant have any evil features(no folding/collapsable stocks, flash hiders or pistol grips) but then you can use the detachable magazine, of any size that you had before the ban.

if you want a rifle like the one pictured you have to have a non detachable fixed magazine 10 rounds or under. you cannot use the hi-cap mags with fixed magazine, doing so will make the rifle an AW.

Prc329
03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
If you do some digging you can build one for under $700. It also depends on if you want used or new. Where are you located? People can direct you to local shops and FFLs if you want to buy a receiver online. Also to use your prebans you will need to use a monsterman grip and an A2 stock. No collapsible stocks allowed. You can use a bullet-button and keep it exactly as in the picture but you will be limited to 10 round mags.

Prc329
03-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I orgot, the lower can not be listed to use. So no colts and I believe DPMS is also listed.

SPQR
03-12-2007, 11:46 PM
I live in Bakersfield

SPQR
03-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Welcome to Calguns. :)

Thank you, I'm glad being here. I already got plenty of good responses. Thanks to all who have responded.

chiefcrash
03-13-2007, 7:47 AM
Be sure to talk to Wes over at Ten Percent Firearms (in Taft). He should be able to hook you up with all the parts you need

Paratus et Vigilans
03-13-2007, 8:50 AM
PS - the only "evil features" you look to have there is a flash hider and pistol grip fyi.

-Gene

Sorry to nitpick, Gene, but for the benefit of the noob, the AR in his photo also has a collapsible stock, one of the SB 23 listed features.

SPQR, to use your 30 round mags you need a fixed buttstock, no pistol grip, and no flash hider.

+1 on hitting the FAQ. The ar15.com site also has a great "build your own" section complete with pictures.

Get on over to Taft and see Wes, he'll fix you up for a fair price. You're probably a little low at $700, but not by much. If you truly want to stay in the lower price range, you might want to consider building a compliant AK instead of an AR. I don't have any myself, but from what I read they're the cheapest of all to build. Search for posts by grammaton76, he's one of our resident AK experts.

Welcome to Calguns! BTW, nice handle, SPQR! Hail, Caeser! :)

mltrading
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome aboard, SPQR!

I strongly recommend you to read OLL FAQ (http://calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm). Then decide what configureation you like and build them. Enjoy!!!:)

hoffmang
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Paratus,

Please always nitpick when that sort of mistake is made :).

-Gene

Paratus et Vigilans
03-13-2007, 4:29 PM
Paratus,

Please always nitpick when that sort of mistake is made :).

-Gene

Happy to oblige! :)

Please feel free to nitpick my posts as well - correctness is the goal, and "pride of authorship" must ride in the back of this bus! :D